Don't hit me but- another Iron Man Suit (starting with the under-suit)

Biskt

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey there fellow RPFers. :)

Skip ahead for pretty pictures,
or read my life story below.

So I recently came across these images, and I thought I'd share them with you guys/girls.
It got me thinking though. I'd like to build the mark 42, I'd like to build A suit to the best of my ability. That means mostly pep, 95% accurate, and detailed. Obviously requiring time and patience. I tested the water with my foam build and had many things questioned on the internet (my virginity for instance :') (lets not go there))

I'd like to build something beautiful. I have a little experience In 3D modelling and a decent amount of skill in real life fabrication. I plan to learn more about electronics. I'd like to model some or most of my own pep parts. I'd like to make accurate boot treads moulded in rubber. I plan to include a motorised faceplate, back flaps, missile pods, etc. I'd like my suit to have sound effects.

But don't worry, we're illusionists here, I'm not trying to build a Advanced action suit with plasma propulsion or whatever. :p

Right, BS out of the way, I want to work from the ground up. The undersuit is the best part to start with I believe.
I want to make a comfortable undersuit, with areas of (moulded?) detail such as the wires around the shoulders and the panels on the elbows and knees. It needs to be able to show detail wherever there can/would be gaps in the armour.
The undersuit might be modular (I could use it with any IM suit)

If anyone has any ideas as to materials or similar info please post!
I was thinking a morph suit with wires/small (fake) hydraulics glued to it, but I'm stumped as to what to use for the joint covers. Unless anyone knows of a way of building them with foam so they wont be warped and ruined from continuous bending creasing.

EDIT: Perhaps a modular suit? I like the idea of the Diecast figures, I plan to make all the parts magnetised. (true to the actual armour that its the fastest to assemble) why not make an extra front chest armour or bicep armour with battle damage, and all the electronic wires and details showing through? That way It's almost two suits In one!

Like I said, Just throwing ideas around until Exams are over. If anyone has anything to add, please do!

Here are the ref images.

Trixster_dev_Mark42InnerChestBack_v003_highRes.jpg

Trixster_Boot_concept_v004.jpg

Trixster_InnerGlove_concept_v004.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Start with a Zentai body suit and a mannequin, I am proposing to model the undersuit but only adding the detail where it's visible ( limited budget -like everybody else!) I would work up with thin foam 1mm thick - the underarms, wrists, elbows ,knees etc at the second layer , ie on your first image - three layers are shown, skin out - base undersuit , gears, wires etc, exo skeleton - similar to the outline . Once I'm happy with it , I intend to cast it in latex , this will painted and fixed to the suit - Thus solving the problem of creasing and cracking ! latex... ahhhh flexible !!

I'd love to go to the detailed shown here but it would cost a small fortune in foam cutouts !

I'm working on one now for my Mark 7 and will do another for my M4 depending on how it turns out . Just waiting for all the electronics goodies to arrive.
Repulsors, sound FX, motorised faceplate with LED Eyes. Slowly preping foam for paint . I decided to built the suit completely out of foam first . they decide how and where to dress it. I'm going to seal and harden off the top shell with resin coat . sand , prime. and paint Red and Gold . All red first, since I want even colour all over . I did a suit last year , but I built it piece by piece , and did each to a finish, due to the can's colour even though they wre the same item I ended up with two different tonal shades - so I learnt my lesson , paint large areas in one batch & do not go to ther shop mid spray to buy more paint !!

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back