Stargate Universe Destiny Potential 3d printed model

captainreynolds, sorry I've been out of the loop for a bit, work obligations. Sounds like you're making great progress. Really glad to hear it. This project may end up being a great success thanks to your tireless efforts. As for the stargate base, that sounds very cool. As far as priorities go, I would definitely say that the ship would be my priority, but as far as I'm concerned, do whatever you like. If you get sick of starring at the ship and want to work on a base, feel free.

No worries. Doing some corrections on the underside now that I've found this:
img_7104.jpg

Finding that pic has been the saving grace of the entire model as there really aren't any good, well lit, high res shots of the underside in the show. The top side is slowly getting there, just need one or two decisions from you. Do you want the anti fighter weapons as separate pieces (which is doable at this scale) or do you want them straight on the model? And do you want the main ship-to-ship gun in deployed position or retracted? Already done it in such a way that the solar collectors are retracted. And finally, do you want the shuttles done straight onto the model or separate? If on the model, do you want the two as shown in the series or the launch compliment of three as it was 50 million years ago?

I'm doing three options for the base, a destiny stargate deactivated, a destiny stargate with event horizon and a destiny silhouette base the same way the polar lights kits did their NX-01 bases. Once the corrections to the basic shape are done I'll post pics, just don't like posting pics of the model when bits are still the wrong shape. Once you've approved the basics then I'll start doing the detail over the ship bit by bit. Will literally do a section of the ship every day or few days depending on the complexity of said section.

Oh, last question, do you want the FTL doing like the $700 model or like the show (i.e. Millennium Falcon style)?

And as I said before, work out your budget for the project, take into account the materials for the printing, the molding and the resin casting, plus electric bill for the printing, then work out how much you have out of the budget for the digital files. Let me know what you get. I will not blow you off, just want to have a ball park figure.

I would like to get in on this as i have started my own destiny project. I am am relatively new to the 3d modeling process and am using google sketchup to build the first drafts,here is a link to my pics of the progress Destiny Bridge Sketch Photos by Arcturus11VFXmodeling | Photobucket.
I am working on both the interior and the exterior, the bridge is about 70% done and the exterior is about 60% done. would love to hear any feedback and tips .

It's looking good, but for final draft I'd suggest autodesk 3ds max. It's far more powerful and as simple to use as sketchup. The problem with sketch up is it's not compatible with anything else. It was designed more as a basic architectural software. If you're planning on a physical build from the models you are better on solidworks, nx, catia, creo or inventor. From my experience sketchup files can't be exported for 3d printing or cnc machining, though that may be the equipment at my work and university. If you're after photo real rendering and animation then model in 3ds max or solidworks then port to keyshot rendering software, or use photoview360 built into solidworks, either will make the destiny look fantastic.

Sorry for bias against sketchup, it's just that amongst design engineers and CAD technicians it's a bit of a joke software that we avoid at all costs. One of the hardest to start on with the least modelling power and worst results in the end. All credit to you, you have managed to get some stunning results, so just imagine what it would look like on the better software.

The one thing I will hand to google is the walk around tool for when you're doing interiors. Means you don't have to leave one wall off to see inside.

Last edited:
It's looking good, but for final draft I'd suggest autodesk 3ds max. It's far more powerful and as simple to use as sketchup. The problem with sketch up is it's not compatible with anything else. It was designed more as a basic architectural software. If you're planning on a physical build from the models you are better on solidworks, nx, catia, creo or inventor. From my experience sketchup files can't be exported for 3d printing or cnc machining, though that may be the equipment at my work and university. If you're after photo real rendering and animation then model in 3ds max or solidworks then port to keyshot rendering software, or use photoview360 built into solidworks, either will make the destiny look fantastic.

Sorry for bias against sketchup, it's just that amongst design engineers and CAD technicians it's a bit of a joke software that we avoid at all costs. One of the hardest to start on with the least modelling power and worst results in the end. All credit to you, you have managed to get some stunning results, so just imagine what it would look like on the better software.

The one thing I will hand to google is the walk around tool for when you're doing interiors. Means you don't have to leave one wall off to see inside.

Thanks that was exactly the type of advice i was looking for as I have no idea which programs to use for what,sketchup was the easiest and most bare bones type of program so i figured it would be a good starter,what i have done so far has taken me a few months to do ( mostly on the weekends) ,and have found the process very enjoyable. I might be an optimist but I would like to wind up doing the entire interior and exterior,not sure what i could do with the interior as far as 3d printing except maybe a cross section version of the destiny along with the whole version.

Thanks that was exactly the type of advice i was looking for as I have no idea which programs to use for what,sketchup was the easiest and most bare bones type of program so i figured it would be a good starter,what i have done so far has taken me a few months to do ( mostly on the weekends) ,and have found the process very enjoyable. I might be an optimist but I would like to wind up doing the entire interior and exterior,not sure what i could do with the interior as far as 3d printing except maybe a cross section version of the destiny along with the whole version.

No problem. Well your next progression would definitely be solidworks. It's by far the simplest interface of the cad softwares and is a mini version of catia which is companies such as Boeing and even NASA. And there are an abundance of tutorials for it on YouTube. It's good for throwing together a model starship quite quickly to print or render. Also good for it's intended purpose as well, which is designing, testing and prototyping engineering components.

Did a project recently, went through the design of a digital camera for my course. Mine was done for the Aston Martin catalogue, went through the concept stage doing design studies and mock up sketches before settling on a final design. Then modelled it and tested it on solidworks to make sure the casing and frame were strong enough in the final manufacturing material. It was then 3d printed, sanded like mad to get rid of the steps produced during printing, primed, painted and custom decalled. Finally produced a digital based advertisement video. The entire thing was a year long project.

The interior won't be printable within the destiny, not unless you print it at about 1/100 scale. That would mean a printed model of about 240 feet. You may struggle doing the interior within the ship model in solidworks as nearly all cad programmes lack sketchups walk through tool. Though one advantage to 3d modelling is you can model the ship full size (providing you have a few GB free and a good CPU as it starts to lag as your model gets that big and complex). You could do the cross section idea but it would be wasted on that level of detail, you would have to rein the detail back and do an AMT TOS Enterprise cutaway style look.

Your model would be best split into interior and exterior as seperate builds then it can be used for mini movies and background replacement if you film using green screen.

IMHO those who are interested should try and figure out how the end result can be done in the most detailed and economical. I personally don't have any idea what would be reasonable by way of a cost for a digital file. Especially without insulting the creator of said file. Shapeways seems pretty spendy for larger models and the original idea I noted that it be printed, cleaned up and assembled. Then a reputable mold maker/caster be tasked with the final model being created. I'd be good with posting up a deposit to get the ball rolling. However, we need to make sure and get all the other aspects hammered out. a single piece or a few piece resin model would be inexpensive.

captain, I'd say your time should be compensated and I'm ignorant to what the going rate for digital files is. For the gate models I'd need to know how many hours you'd have into it. maybe having the person that's doing the casts for the destiny, doing a mold for the gates too as a limited run. Spreading out the cost to multiple people to make the financial blow a bit softer for each person but good and reasonable for the artist and caster. Not sure how much you can make off of shapeways. I'd be willing to bet you could post some of the files on there for people to buy copies. That's how I found TomPerys. Only file he had to purchase was the shuttle. I will be picking that up at some point.

With regards to the armament, those should be done as a separate casting as the collectors and some of the antennas on the leading edge of the wings. Thinking those would be good as a separate piece. Having a working knowledge of casting, it would be easier pulling a mold without those things creating a potential of a problem.
I do like your idea of the base. A destiny gate with event horizon as a base sounds awesome. The silhouette of the ship seems cool but the gate seems like a cooler idea. Also would like gates as a separate piece. Another idea is having the file be kept with only the primary people doing the project. That way it keeps your work from being released to the wild. Figure that would be a good idea to prevent issues arising from competing projects with the same file. Just an idea. Maybe the caster, artist and creator of this thread be the only people that have access to the file. The less people the less of a problem with it making it out to the public.

Like to see some concrete plans to firm up prices and ways to compensate the artist. Maybe get an interest thread started and collecting some deposits. figure that would get a good idea of how many people are interested in this project and who would step up with cash.

my two cents. can't wait to see some render pics. woot!

IMHO those who are interested should try and figure out how the end result can be done in the most detailed and economical. I personally don't have any idea what would be reasonable by way of a cost for a digital file. Especially without insulting the creator of said file. Shapeways seems pretty spendy for larger models and the original idea I noted that it be printed, cleaned up and assembled. Then a reputable mold maker/caster be tasked with the final model being created. I'd be good with posting up a deposit to get the ball rolling. However, we need to make sure and get all the other aspects hammered out. a single piece or a few piece resin model would be inexpensive.

captain, I'd say your time should be compensated and I'm ignorant to what the going rate for digital files is. For the gate models I'd need to know how many hours you'd have into it. maybe having the person that's doing the casts for the destiny, doing a mold for the gates too as a limited run. Spreading out the cost to multiple people to make the financial blow a bit softer for each person but good and reasonable for the artist and caster. Not sure how much you can make off of shapeways. I'd be willing to bet you could post some of the files on there for people to buy copies. That's how I found TomPerys. Only file he had to purchase was the shuttle. I will be picking that up at some point.

With regards to the armament, those should be done as a separate casting as the collectors and some of the antennas on the leading edge of the wings. Thinking those would be good as a separate piece. Having a working knowledge of casting, it would be easier pulling a mold without those things creating a potential of a problem.
I do like your idea of the base. A destiny gate with event horizon as a base sounds awesome. The silhouette of the ship seems cool but the gate seems like a cooler idea. Also would like gates as a separate piece. Another idea is having the file be kept with only the primary people doing the project. That way it keeps your work from being released to the wild. Figure that would be a good idea to prevent issues arising from competing projects with the same file. Just an idea. Maybe the caster, artist and creator of this thread be the only people that have access to the file. The less people the less of a problem with it making it out to the public.

Like to see some concrete plans to firm up prices and ways to compensate the artist. Maybe get an interest thread started and collecting some deposits. figure that would get a good idea of how many people are interested in this project and who would step up with cash.

my two cents. can't wait to see some render pics. woot!

Well the gates at 12" diameter with the gate platform and dhd set would be about 6-7 hours work per gate. But considering my normal pay rate for company contracts is £10.50/$15.50 per hour, the $95 cost per gate file might be slightly high. In that situation I will probably cap the cost at around $40-50 per gate. The Destiny is already up to 4 straight hours work doing the basic shape and refining it, especially the corrections to the underside which I had to do twice.

In regards to Destiny's base, I'm modelling all three options so people who order can choose which they want.

Should be able to get pics of the basic Destiny up in the next day or two, finishing up the nose and the platforms that hold the garden dome and shuttle docks.

Doing the antenna on the leading edge of the wings is going to be risky at this scale owing to the ease by which they can snap off, but they are doable.

Forgot to mention, the size of the final physical model doesn't really affect digital modelling time other than the fact that really small models would need less detail and really big ones would need more. So in terms of the gates, it's up to you what size you want. The platforms and dhds will be to scale. Obviously the destiny gate won't have a dhd but if it's large enough then I can do the control device used for off world dialling plus a kino. Or, though it will push up the cost of the destiny gate by about $10-15, the control computer from Destiny's gateroom.

Hi guys,

just if you are interested Iam thinking about "clear" stand that will look like Destiny is in FTL. The gates are fantastic idea, if you do them for free order, I could use one for another project :)

Hi guys,

just if you are interested Iam thinking about "clear" stand that will look like Destiny is in FTL. The gates are fantastic idea, if you do them for free order, I could use one for another project :)

How do you mean free order? If sciroccojunky is willing, then I would split the cost of the gate between you, that way you both get the files and only have to pay half each. Cheaper for both that way. And if he is willing and anyone else is interested in them it can be split down further. That would only be on firm orders though, not maybes.

I meant if will be possible to order it (or whether it will only be possible to get it with his model as a stand) :)

captainreynolds - As far as the weapons go, my thought is to keep it simple and have everything in retracted configuration. If it's fairly simple to make the separate parts that might be nice to give people different options, but we don't want to drive the cost up too much at this point. If all works out we could always do a second version, or just a set of add on parts for the weapons deployed. I think $15.50 per hour is very fair. Would would your overall estimate on time for the project be based on what we've discussed so far? Also, not sure what you meant when you said "FTL like the $700 model", sorry. As for the antennas at the leading edge of the wing, I feel pretty strongly that we should have that detail, although I'm afraid it may make casting rather difficult. Would it be possible to separate those detailed parts to be cast separately? As far as the gate goes, I guess I'm a little confused. I thought the gate was going to be the base for the stand, in which case it would be laying horizontally? If I'm confused please let me know. The stand/gate is definitely not a priority for me at this point. I could really do without it, but it would be a nice addition. I just really want to see a detailed ship that is as accurate as we can make it.

scirrocojunky - I really don't want to get into collecting any money until we're further along. I've seen too many people around here collect money and then end up with a bunch of unhappy people when the project runs longer than expected. A list of interest would be fine though, although I'm not going to count on that list because people back out. For me, I'll just move ahead with it assuming there will be people that will be interested, but it's worth it to me just to have one myself, so I'll do it regardless. Assuming it doesn't get too crazy expensive.

I meant if will be possible to order it (or whether it will only be possible to get it with his model as a stand) :)

Ah, I see what you mean. Well I'm doing 4 gates essentially, three full gates with ramp/stairs/gangway and dhds and one front half of destinys gate to lay flat and use as a stand for the destiny model. The half gate will be modelled with and without event horizon. So it depends on which you want, full gate or front half of gate. The destiny model herself will be exclusive to LoganCale but I'm sure he'd be ok with the gate stand file being further distributable. If you want a full gate model then it will depend on sciroccojunky. As I said before, if you want to do a shared commission on the destiny gate with him then it will only cost half each.

captainreynolds - As far as the weapons go, my thought is to keep it simple and have everything in retracted configuration. If it's fairly simple to make the separate parts that might be nice to give people different options, but we don't want to drive the cost up too much at this point. If all works out we could always do a second version, or just a set of add on parts for the weapons deployed. I think $15.50 per hour is very fair. Would would your overall estimate on time for the project be based on what we've discussed so far? Also, not sure what you meant when you said "FTL like the $700 model", sorry. As for the antennas at the leading edge of the wing, I feel pretty strongly that we should have that detail, although I'm afraid it may make casting rather difficult. Would it be possible to separate those detailed parts to be cast separately? As far as the gate goes, I guess I'm a little confused. I thought the gate was going to be the base for the stand, in which case it would be laying horizontally? If I'm confused please let me know. The stand/gate is definitely not a priority for me at this point. I could really do without it, but it would be a nice addition. I just really want to see a detailed ship that is as accurate as we can make it.

scirrocojunky - I really don't want to get into collecting any money until we're further along. I've seen too many people around here collect money and then end up with a bunch of unhappy people when the project runs longer than expected. A list of interest would be fine though, although I'm not going to count on that list because people back out. For me, I'll just move ahead with it assuming there will be people that will be interested, but it's worth it to me just to have one myself, so I'll do it regardless. Assuming it doesn't get too crazy expensive.

Shouldn't take too much to modify later on to have optional position weapons and solar collectors. And as for time estimate it will take about 40-45 hours but normally I cap the price if it goes that high, and I think $620 is going way too high. So it's up to you where you want to place the cap. And the FTL I was referring to is the blue strip across the back. The $700 model in the glass case that there are images of all over google has a different look and different detailing to the look in the show. In show it looks more like the millennium falcons segmentation on its engine strip. And yes the gate base would be laid flat/horizontal so it would only be the front half of the gate to keep a flat surface to rest on. The base will be one of the last things to be modelled as an extra. And yes, I will do the antenna as seperate pieces.

I can understand the confusion, I'm doing full gates with ramp/stairs and dhds for sciroccojunky as a seperate commission. I'll try and pull the gate commission onto a seperate thread, just that he is interested in both your destiny build and the stargates.

Yes I would like the full gate with dhd.

Well I'm just waiting back for sciroccojunky to see whether he wants remote dialler and kino or Destiny's gateroom dialling computer as the universe gates don't have dhds. If he goes for remote and kino and you want the dialling computer then I will do the computer as an extra for you but it will be about $15 on top.

Yeah, I'd be down for the gates at that price. Splitting the cost with Tom would be helpful. Let me know when I'll have to pony up the dough. I get paid on the 25th of each month so it'll be a few weeks before I have cash.

Yeah, I'd be down for the gates at that price. Splitting the cost with Tom would be helpful. Let me know when I'll have to pony up the dough. I get paid on the 25th of each month so it'll be a few weeks before I have cash.

Well the destiny gate is the only one split price wise between you and Tom at the moment. Ask around and see if anyone would be interested in splitting the other gates with you. And that's fine, will be splitting my time between the destiny build and the gate builds anyway, with priority given to destiny. Just helps to take a break from a big model like that as that amount of detailing can drive you nuts if done straight. The destiny gate will be the first gate as two people are after it and a modified version is becoming the base of LoganCale's build. So I just need a choice of remote dialler and kino or Destiny's dialling computer console? And what size you want the gate?

The $700 model in the glass case that there are images of all over google has a different look and different detailing to the look in the show. In show it looks more like the millennium falcons segmentation on its engine strip.

I think you are mistaken two things - first the model in the glass case, thats actually model from the show (it was never used for filming bud they printed it from their 3D just to have the real thing and Malozzi said they used it for planning some scenes...just to imagine how it will look). Second the model for $700 is the one Iam doing on that destiny-project dot com.

However the engines in the show are the same as on mallozi model and also in the model that Iam building. See the pictures the first is shot from the show, second is Destiny model from Malozzi and third is the shot from 3D of my Destiny (the little blue pieces that are something like outlet nozzle of a jet engine cant actually be printed so it will be tle last thing that will be done manually).

vlcsnap-00042.jpg
malozzi.jpg
LATTICE-2.jpg

I think you are mistaken two things - first the model in the glass case, thats actually model from the show (it was never used for filming bud they printed it from their 3D just to have the real thing and Malozzi said they used it for planning some scenes...just to imagine how it will look). Second the model for $700 is the one Iam doing on that destiny-project dot com.

However the engines in the show are the same as on mallozi model and also in the model that Iam building. See the pictures the first is shot from the show, second is Destiny model from Malozzi and third is the shot from 3D of my Destiny (the little blue pieces that are something like outlet nozzle of a jet engine cant actually be printed so it will be tle last thing that will be done manually).

View attachment 206124
View attachment 206125
View attachment 206126

It's just the models I've got mixed up. Yours and the show one look the same, it's just the glass case model that has the FTL strip looking really weird. It may just be because it's unlit, but it looks drastically different to the show and your build. Might well be the exhaust effect as you said. So it's a toss up between modelling to look like the Malozzi or modelling to emulate the look that the lighting/exhaust gives.

Well, the good news is, sciroccojunky has given his blessing to share the destiny gate files with you and to split the cost so you only pay half each. Just waiting to find out size and which dialling method he wants for that gate. Will also try and figure out a way to have the event horizon as a removable piece so that the stargate can be displayed the way you choose at that particular time. Owing to the shape and rough size of the gates, I can get away with modelling at the minimum printable thickness which will make it easily lightable. The destiny herself will be slightly thicker to aid with the shear size and to keep it strong through the molding process.

Glad to hear that! I want to build a diorama with crushed shuttle (the Destiny´s one) on the planet with the gate nearby... :)

dhd isn't important to me. I'd be cool if you just nixed them but if tom wants one, I'll take one as well but just need one. I've got a screen used kino and remote already so for the destiny gate, the dialer isn't all that important for me at least. Oh, and 12in diameter gate size seems fine. Big enough for detail but small enough to hang on a wall or have on a shelf. Either way they'll be sweet.

Cool seeing some renders. that one render looks pretty sweet. The model in that case was a present to Brad Wright from the prop department. The smaller one built by the prop department was made for Joseph but it was about half the size of the one in the case. I think there were a total of 3 models made by their prop department. Brad Wright, Joseph Molozzi and another guy got an even smaller model. They were all posted on Joseph Mollozi's blog. The smallest one was I think given to one of the other producers. There are pictures of them building the one for Joseph. Really wonder if anyone ever got the rights to build a model but just never got around to it.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back