Iron Man Armour from sheet steel

mikeot

I've been thinking of making an Iron man suit from thin sheet steel and was wondering if anybody else had tried this.
Any tips or ideas would be appreciated, I work in a machine shop so I have access to a wide range of tools and equipment.
I think this would be really amazing if I can pull it off, I'm going to start with the helmet as a trial.

It is certanly possible , if you keep the material thin enough, say 1mm, I calculate a suit made in sheet Aluminium would weigh for someone 6ft tall about 20 kg. 44lb appx , steel would probably double the weight and unfortunately it then becomes heavy and difficult to walk, let alone stand up in.
if anything we must learn form history , a suit of armour in the 12th to 14th Century, weighed in at anything from basic armour at 45lb to full battle armour at 65 lb on average., then they had to fight in it ! so they would have been very muscular, well built , fit extremely so and would be used to wearing a basic set of light armour 12 hours a day - I complain about wearing a 35lb foam costume at a 3 hour convention !!!

Thanks for all the info, I'm thinking aluminium is definitely the way to go. I'm thinking I'll just copy the pep files stuff on to alu and see how it comes out.

That should work , remember though you'll need a harness or some other method of fixing the armour , I'd suggest a torso body shell , you could then hang the chest, cod, arm etc ., off that and add brace straps for the legs.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back