Star Trek Into Darkness (Post-release)

Saw the movie Saturday, and I can do nothing but echo everyone else here. Fantastic movie, fantastic script, and all over one of my absolute favorite movies of... at least this decade!

A few little nitpicks (Enterprise is suddenly not only atmos-capable but also a submarine - wtf? Transwarping across the galaxy, and the Enterprise seemingly able to warp between various systems in minutes and not days/weeks) but on the whole I really enjoyed it. Cumberbatch kicked ass and stole the film out from under everyone elses noses.

I actually found that scene to be one of the stronger moments of the film - due entirely to my familiarity with the older movies. The darker/alternate timeline episodes of all the TV series have always been standouts, leaving you wanting more and wondering 'what if?' The symmetry between events in both timelines gave it some extra emotional weight. Despite 'KHAAAAAANNNNNN' taking me out of the film for a moment.

And I agree that the McCoy / Spock banter is sadly missing. It must be said though that part of that dynamic was McCoy's dry, cynical wit; part of which has been rolled into the Kirk character in his interactions with Spock. 'Pointy Eared *******' and the like. Shame about the five year mission - it would have been good to see the three of them on a camping trip in their downtime :p

Next you'll be wanting them to be singing row row row your boat... ;D

Does anyone here know where I can get an at least semi good quality Gold Kirk uniform from ST Into Darkness for a decent price? I have tried google and the search, but found nothing.

I have a split decision on the movie. As a movie it is very good. As a Trek die-hard, i found the choices that the writers made a bit disappointing.

I actually had a better feeling after Trek 2009 than this one, not sure if it was the reuse of Khan, or the fact that the end of this one promises what I though the end of 2009 promised, a Trek crew now assembled and ready for a complete adventure. This one pulls back from that promise at the start, and only gets there in the last 5 minutes. Now we have to wait another 3-4 years to see the movie i really wanted to see this week.

I really like the movie. Aside from all what was said, I love the new Klingon ships! I hope there will be a model of them.

Will have to go into the cinema to see it a second time.

Going again tonight with friends. I want the Klingon pistol that Uhura uses, as well as the civilian phaser Kirk has. Why are all the other weapons so much better than the design they chose for the standard issue phaser! Can anyone say Kelvin Phaser!? I loved that thing.

I'm going to see this on Friday straight after I watch Iron Man 3 for the first time right before it... scared my head will explode! People's thoughts on 3D versions of each? I've always liked 3D, but only when it's done well... are they good versions for these two?

The Imax 3D here at Lincoln Sq. looked amazing. Best that Trek has ever looked. VERY pretty shots during the opening credits and during the climax especially.

Saw it 2D IMAX last night on a real giant screen. Looked amazing, especially the full-frame IMAX shots.

Great character interaction is about as much praise as I can give the film.

The Klingons have nothing to do with the plot.

The presence of Carol Marcus was nearly useless.

Kirks death scene was a joke because you just know how they're going to bring him back.

Spock calling Spock and getting no real advice was totally unnecessary.

I still enjoyed the ride but the storytelling wasn't close to the quality of my already lowered expectations. More of a remake than I anticipated.

I'm going to see this on Friday straight after I watch Iron Man 3 for the first time right before it... scared my head will explode! People's thoughts on 3D versions of each? I've always liked 3D, but only when it's done well... are they good versions for these two?

I liked the 3D versions of each of them. Alone the ending credits are worth to watch Star Trek in 3D. Iron Man 3 has some nice aerial scenes which are very good too.

The Klingons have nothing to do with the plot.

The presence of Carol Marcus was nearly useless.

I thought they were relevant to the plot in about the ratio to screen time they had, considering the whole point was to start a war with the Klingons.

Carol Marcus was "the one that got away", so they're just bring her into the family.

From a concept standpoint - I think it was great. The Nero event made the timeline much darker. Kirk is now righting the ship as it were from the path of becoming a military back to what it should be. And maybe new Kirk can finally get the girl - and have her stick around.

Unfortunately for such a well-made movie, I felt it was too blatant at almost every single turn. Fantastic performances, spectacular execution, solid premise, just...too familiar. Too obviously a pastiche.

trueogre - Perhaps a little too much thought went into what Khan was planning to and eventually did. You must understand as has been stated many times by J.J. and other cast members that the film wasn't for established Trek fans, rather something that would entertaining and accessible to a wider audience. So what your explanation of what Khan might have done seems to me to be formulated from knowledge of the older Trek films and the technology in that timeline.

Because of the events in the previous film we learn time was altered by extrapolated scans from Nero's ship, for all we know, the workings of the Warp Core are vastly different than pre-established technical data. This altered timeline stuff will also affect your understanding of whether or not the Enterprise is suited or not to Atmospheric flight capabilities or not. Actually, Scotty in this film also mentions how ridiculous it was that the ship was underwater!

With all deference to the author - this attitude makes me want to vomit. 40 years of established tech and environment should not be "flushed" because of an unwillingness to do a tiny bit of homework, and make the story elements work. the idea that the tech is totally different is complete BS because even if you buy into the changed timeline/reality line... the change occurred at the point Nero came back... 99% of that tech had already been developed and was in use... I'm pretty sure the Kelvin was a warp powered vessel that "theoretiocally" was in the SAME timeline as everything that has been released before in the start trek "prime" timeline.

--- Soapbox retired ---

That being said I'm REALLY looking forward to seeing it tomorrow when it releases in the US. I'm disappointed that they retread Kahn though. To me it seems like the "easy" story choice - no matter how well they pulled it off. There are plenty of star trek villains out there that could've been tapped into that are not already in a (previous and awesome) movie. The (old) rumors of Gary Mitchell intrigued me, and likely could have been adapted to a similar movie (based on the terrorist bent of the trailers) I may be eating my word tomorrow after I see it, but that is my thought going in...

Peace,
Jedi Dade

The Most Geekiest Review I can give:

SPOILER ALERT!!! (Duh, arnt you reading a post release thread?)

Saw the midnight showing of ST:ID last night in 3D on a Big D screen. So heres some thoughts:

The Good:

-BEAUTIFUL! Just about every shot was pure eye candy. Everything about this movie LOOKED outstanding! The effects were mind blowing, heck Im even used to the lense flares.

-Characters! My god! Karl Urban OWNS every moment the camera is pointed at him! His McCoy is spot on without being an imitation. Zachary Quinto IS Spock! He has really grown into that character and made it is own. I also very much like that Spock is now an ACTION hero! The last chase and fight and us going "WOW! and "Dahumm!" at Spock! Cumberbatch just absolutely ate up every scene he was in. He was addictive to watch. Until he finally snapped, I was thinking that this "new" universe version might actually be a "good guy". Guess not. I also thought Chris Pine was very solid throughout in his performance. There were some Shatner like moments, but you can tell at this point in the characters life, he just doesn't have that confidence. Cocky-ness, just not TRUE confidence. I swear that Simon Pegg actually sorta LOOKS like Dohan!? He was a pleasure to watch in every scene he was in.

-SETS! The Enterprise looked great! I'm glad they didn't change everything like they used to do in the old movies, but the updated engineering and warp core was a welcome addition. It FELT more like a star ship. Also, I LOVED the design of the Vengeance bridge. MAN what a cool ship that...... didn't do much.

Now, here's what rubbed me the wrong way:

First lets define something about Star Trek. Everyone always wants to compare Star Trek to Star Wars but one notable difference is "Trek-nology" Whereas Star Trek has "The Force" and other mystical elements in it, Star Trek has always relied heavily on science. Albeit fantasy science, but since the very beginning, Trek established certain "rules". Now we all know that the writers often break these rules on a whim, but Into Darkness went a bit too far just for the simple sake of doing "cool" stuff.

From the very beginning, Kirk was stripped of his command and then just immediately demoted to Commander, then repromoted to Captain within minutes. This entire subplot harkening back to '09 trek where Kirk got command of the FLAG SHIP of the Federation within 4 years, was just absurd and went against all "old" Trek where Officers were CAREER positions that took many years to move through the ranks. The "Nu Trek" make Starfleet seem like a cheap karate school where you just fly through ranks!

The other CONSISTENT thing that bugged me was the complete disregard for previously established TrekNology. The Enterprise under water? The Enterprise entering Earths Atmo (falling to pieces mind you!) and then being able to "pull up" using thrusters only? For that matter what does the warp core have to do with thrusters of impulse engines? Arn't those separate systems?
Speaking of the "warp core"... You're telling me that the ENTIRE Enterprise can be knocked out of commission by a big laser thingy getting knocked to one side? and then that a 140 lbs man can just KICK it back into place? This whole scene was just really contrived.

While we are talking about THAT scene, Let me go ahead and hit it: NEARLY Line for Line RESHOOT of the ST:TWK death scene! WHY?!?! It seems SO unnecessary and really threw me out of the movie because I was quoting the lines as they said them. But it got worse: KHANNNNN!

....really? did that just happen?

Yes, and just a few minutes before, Nu Spock had a facetime chat with Leonard Ni...err, I mean Old Spock where he learned..... well... nothing. Let me make a comment about that: These new ST films have FIRMLY established that they are REWRITING Trek History. Meaning all the stuff we USED to know is null and void. So WHY ask Old Spock? NOTHING he remembers or experienced really matters. Even though they didn't mention it by name, In this new timeline the S.S. Botany Bay was not discovered by Kirk, it was discovered by Admiral Marcus. So already what Khan was doing and his motivations were different.

The rest:
Well, I really appreciated all the to nods to the previous Trek. In fact, did anyone notice the models on Admiral Marcus' desk? I SWEAR their was a model of the NX-01?!?!? Anyone else catch that?
Also, I liked the more subtle stuff like the "Kelvin Memorial Library". Section 31....

Overall, it was a very solid movie. Well acted from beginning to end. Sadly the faults I give it are that it was trying TOO hard to hold on to old trek. At this point I am really hoping they pull away from trying to mirror old trek and just do their own thing. While it was "cool" that Cumberbatch was Khan, in actuality it added NOTHING to the story and really was just so that old trek fans could gasp!
I like that they acknowledged the impact Nero and Khan had on Star Fleet, but Im glad they got it back onto its actual purpose: Exploration. Pine's voiceover at the end really moved it forward!
I look forward to where they take us for the third one!

Does anyone here know where I can get an at least semi good quality Gold Kirk uniform from ST Into Darkness for a decent price? I have tried google and the search, but found nothing.

There's only one address you need: ANOVOS Productions LLC - that's the real deal. ;)

By the way: I saw the movie yesterday. Just one word: wow!!!!!!! Best Trek movie ever!

Last edited:
Is this a typo, or did you actually find an IMAX showing it standard?

Nearly all IMAX screens these days are only standard movie theaters converted. They extend the screen to the floor and ceiling. These theaters are all digital, offer improved picture and sound, but are still tiny compared to a true Giant Screen IMAX. Google it.

While IMAX show times are a plenty here near Philadelphia, only two theaters have true giant screens. There is a flat one in King of Prussia and The Franklin Institute Science museum have a dome version. I believe both still run the gigantic 70mm film, which still offers a superior resolution to nearly all IMAX digital offerings.

Saw it 2D on the museum IMAX dome.

I get that the admiral wants War with the Klingons, but its almost as if this it Trek Mad Libs. Drop villain species in the blank here. They were like, well we already used the Romulans and we never squeezed the Klingons into the last one, lets use them now. New Khan is the same thing... aside from having some of his people frozen, the character in this film could have been any baddie really. Again, fill in the blank style. One thing I was hopeful was to see Carol Marcus get a backstory, but she didn't. Her and Kirk just look at each other. They needed another hot girl, so Carols name went in that blank.

Still an enjoyable film. I watched them back to back last night and it made the second feel more like a retread of the first. As mentioned we are left with the same feeling at the end of the first one... everyone is together and ready to go exploring.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back