The Fifth Element - Korben Dallas

So I'm curious if you have any good shots of where the laces are attached? I haven't thought of a good way to put them on and make them work yet. There are no visible grommets that I can see.

i tought they were fixed the same way as on the jacket

Capture d’écran 2014-03-11 à 16.09.39.png

but after some light on search it seams to be more something eyelet like than loops

eyelets.png

well finally, it's eyelets on the inseam, and "large" loops on the crotch

Hm, it's a weird thing to say, but I think I need to find better pictures of Korben's crotch.

There is a picture in the making of book where he has the pants undone, probably because he's wearing a layer of rubber underneath and was dying. Unfortunately it's a really small picture, but I'll have to check it out again.

OK, This thread went dead over three years ago. Maybe it’s time for a revival :) I found a maker on Etsy that makes custom boots. The Korbin Dallas boots look very much like something called engineer boots. I sent this guy the picture and he’s making me a pair custom. Probably about two months before I get themAnd if there’s any interest I’ll post pics. It’s going to cost about $300. The business name is CowboybootsUSA all one word. Think he is a shoemaker in Malaysia. There were many good reviews on his boots so I figured go for it.

Meanwhile if anyone can give me info on making a decent orange shirt, yeah, that would be great :) you know a lot of the pictures died with photo bucket, so let’s get a new one is going to. Here’s a look at the boots I am hoping he can duplicate 4FF6BA4A-A259-4D56-8781-AA4410B2F9E1.jpeg

C27F7F77-315D-407E-AD8B-6E456B806B2E.jpeg

RayR very cool. $300 is not bad for a pair of custom boots. Do you have all of the hi res pics from the prop store listing? If not lemme know. I have them all saved. Looking forward to seeing them finished. I'll probably order myself a pair - I'm a sucker for footwear from the movies.

Last edited by a moderator:
@RayR very cool. $300 is not bad for a pair of custom boots. Do you have all of the hi res pics from the prop store listing? If not lemme know. I have them all saved. Looking forward to seeing them finished. I'll probably order myself a pair - I'm a sucker for footwear from the movies.

Yeah, not a bad price at all. Better than a new pair of Alden Indiana Jones boots. I have 4 pictures...front, back and both sides. I appreciate the offer. If you think I missing something let me know and I’ll message you my email address.

E8829EB3-3637-4D7E-A7A7-E0EF4CC26651.jpeg117ACF2D-9108-44FA-87EE-9E98995C3C23.jpeg81F0DE4C-1AC5-4E14-A2E9-C624E384F5FE.jpeg54E0998A-3A17-4000-B396-74147A7BB4A1.jpeg318EF152-AECE-4EF4-B1DA-1EAB1004ECE5.jpeg

BTW, this guys shop is in Mexico.

I guess I’ll message the guy tonight. It’s already over a month overdue. Last month I ask him how’s it coming and could I see a picture. He did send me a picture of a bunch of cut outs. Pieces that are obviously the shape of the boots. Hey said we’re going to be assembling it shortly and that’s the last I have heard. I’ll definitely Post photos when they get here.

I'm curious to see how they turn out. The New Rock boots are almost perfect with some mods, it's mostly just the sole that doesn't match, but I'm not sure the custom boots will be able to do better.

OK the moment we've been waiting for. Korbin Dallas Boots arrived today. This guy went by the photos and did a complete design from scratch. He had the Last specially made. . In THIS community, we will find all kinds of inaccuracies. That said, these are well made boots and look right at a glance. The toe is not rounded properly and the small velcro strap is actually sewn in place rather than adjustable. I would have liked the sole a little thicker...but I don't think you'll find anything closer these days. And if someone has Miguel make a pair, he could catch the details. Not bad, I think, for a first prototype.

b3.jpg

b2.jpg

b1.jpg

OK the moment we've been waiting for. Korbin Dallas Boots arrived today. This guy went by the photos and did a complete design from scratch. He had the Last specially made. . In THIS community, we will find all kinds of inaccuracies. That said, these are well made boots and look right at a glance. The toe is not rounded properly and the small velcro strap is actually sewn in place rather than adjustable. I would have liked the sole a little thicker...but I don't think you'll find anything closer these days. And if someone has Miguel make a pair, he could catch the details. Not bad, I think, for a first prototype.

View attachment 833975

View attachment 833976

View attachment 833977

Stellar man. I commented on your Facebook post and I'm here to heap equal praise. For a $300 custom job from scratch, the look at least twice that. Can you share the maker's etsy page?

Those look great! How comfortable are they? For a little less money you can get the New Rock boots which have a thicker sole, but they're a real pain.

It’s hard to be accurate with that answer. I’ve only worn them one time. In spite of detailed measurements they are a little wide in the Toe so I’ll need to wear a heavier socks. When I do they’ll probably be comfortable enough. They weren’t uncomfortable, but they didn’t feel like great comfy boots either. And they’re not hard to put on. I think part of the reason for the high price… Actually not too high for a good pair of boots… Who is the maker had to have the boot “last” made.

Yea, that was how I found out the brand name of the boots. Hadn't seen that listing for the shirt, though. The other site I found it on just had the blurriest picture ever posted to the internet.

So I picked up the boots and wore them to work today, a bit of a review:

OW!

Very painful. I guess goths have to be in pain to feel cool. They're a bit tight across the top of the foot, and the leather pinches in when the foot bends (with every step). The buckles are a really stupid design, it's impossible to tighten the boots completely down onto your ankles without punching extra holes, and it takes about 10 minutes to get the things on. They aren't fantastic quality, either. For $250 boots, I would expect at least the same quality as my $200 All Saints boots, but it doesn't come close. Heck, I've got a couple pairs of $80 boots that blow these out of the water in the stitching department. There are silver pen marks exposed where they misaligned pieces, some of the topstitches waver, and one of the stitches on the pull tabs is just falling out. Luckily that's one of the bits that'll be going in the trash when I replace the buckles with velcro. The New Rock emblems were a piece of cake to remove, and just left 4 small holes. So yea, pictures.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v328/NinjaRisu/DSC03341_zpsc6d03e98.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v328/NinjaRisu/DSC03342_zps2d68357c.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v328/NinjaRisu/DSC03343_zpsb88c331b.jpg

The differences between these boots and the Buffalo boots (which I now believe may actually be the knockoffs, not these.)

Big: The soles are completely different. Different shape, molding, thickness, and tread. They do have the same number of exposed treads on the sides, though. This one kind of leads into the welts. They're not actually welts, the soles are stitched on through the boot leather. If I had to guess, I'd say these aren't resoleable at all. I'll still bring them in to get a professional opinion, though. One thing that's clear is that these are top stitched all the way around, where the Buffalo boots have a set in heel. And the straps, which I can make just about perfect with mods.

Not so big: Different color liner. Not huge. Different logo stamping as well, but I have a planned mod for that. The back pull tabs are slightly skinnier and taller on the New Rocks.

All in all, if you want to do a good Korben costume and have the money, get these. If you think they look cool for any other purpose, don't. They're better than costume quality, but definitely not worth that much money. Don't get me wrong, though. No regrets here.

I'll have a look for that other thread again, but if the jacket was modified USAF, then they completely removed the sleeves and made new ones.

Regarding the question of who’s a knock off of the other… Check out this picture I just found. These are Buffalo Company women’s biker boots. Vintage naturally. The same buckle configuration and everything. I guess it still doesn’t answer the question. I think the Velcro is a better idea.

D3E5BC08-7BD2-434F-B6A5-D4FEFD07F363.jpeg

I bought a pair exactly like those in the early 90's they were made in Mexico. i just dont remember the company I got them from. It was one of the design shops like Hot Topics. Took quite a while and lots of beer to get them where they are comfortable to wear, but you can kick a steel plate door in with the things.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back