Disney wants more 'Star Wars' in its theme parks

I understand and to be more clear in 20 years there will be far more new film content released then we have had since 1977. Multiple generations of fans will be coming down the pike that will want to have their own experience at this attraction. There are obvious physical limitations to what they can do with a dedicated area of Disneyland or World. That area needs to be flexible enough to allow for changes over time to cater to the audience attending the parks. I see them over time adjusting and moving the attraction forward with the films themselves, making them current and evergreen relevant.
In all fairness, in 1977 we only have one Star Wars film. We also have a (rumored?) break coming after this trilogy is completed - so Star Wars will have a fairly even sprawl in 20 years time - between the OT, PT, ST and another, further ST should be around, too.

But, the OT will remain the gold standard. It started this and it remains timeless. Maybe, this current trilogy will have the same appeal and magic years down the road, too. That doesn't deny what 1977 started and continues to this day. Tatooine has appeared in 5 of the 7 saga films and in countless nu-EU (and old-EU) pieces including the television programs (and possibly/potentially a Kenobi film). It seems that the current LFL regime wants to move away from Tatooine - with Jakkuu seeming to be Tatooine II (or arguably a stand in).

They're still selling Vader and everything OT... so it seems a little wrong - or odd - that they're investing so much into the First Order and the Resistance all at once. But, who knows how this trilogy might end or set things up for.

This landscape - to my eyes at least, could be Tatooine, Jakku or even Jedha. I only wish it would've shown a little more variety. Disney has a magic about it and they've always been able to blend pretty seamlessly - I don't think it's wrong to think that they could've eased/blended from what we're shown here to something more Imperial/First Order-ish or even Naboo or Endor-ish (or whatever we might see in TLJ). With the way they work forced perspective - they could've even put a Death Star up there somewhere (ok, maybe not).

Based on other leaks, they're hiding a pretty large building that will be Battle Escape attraction. But, that's Disney magic - hiding things in plain site.

Disney isn't stupid (okay, Avatar-land might be /sarcasm). They know what they're doing.

This landscape - to my eyes at least, could be Tatooine, Jakku or even Jedha. I only wish it would've shown a little more variety. Disney has a magic about it and they've always been able to blend pretty seamlessly - I don't think it's wrong to think that they could've eased/blended from what we're shown here to something more Imperial/First Order-ish or even Naboo or Endor-ish (or whatever we might see in TLJ). With the way they work forced perspective - they could've even put a Death Star up there somewhere (ok, maybe not).

Pre this video, Star Warsland is set in a new (to fans) planet that's well known in the Star Wars universe. So it's not Tattooiine, Jehda, Jakku or anywhere else we've seen on film so far.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pre this video, Star Warsland is set in a new (to fans) planet that's well known in the Star Wars universe. So it's not Tattooiine, Jehda, Jakku or anywhere else we've seen on film so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_F55uORSy8
I meant that it looks familiar. It could pass as a part of the worlds I mentioned - not that it necessarily is one of them. It's kinda silly to avoid existing Star Wars worlds - it's like It's A Small World being about Mars and Venus and the Hall of Presidents being about new, fictional Presidents.

The model looks nice and the full-sized Falcon is kinda cool, but I've still seen nothing that excites me. I know people have Pavlovian responses to these things, and will flock to it just because it's Star Wars and Disney, but it's just not hitting me in the feels at all. This is the kind of park I've dreamed of since 1977, and I look at it and go, "eh". I felt the same about the Star Wars stuff I just saw at Hollywood Studios. The Muppet area made a bigger impact on me. Star Tours and the pretty lame shows (except the fireworks show) weren't too impressive. I have little to no interest in the part of the timeline they've chosen to set this in. Maybe that's part of the reason it leaves me disinterested. I feel like ignoring the OT element is a mistake. Time will tell. But, I keep waiting to feel something, anything at all about this land, and nada. Maybe this'll be enough of a hit that they'll do an OT related version before I die. Here's hoping.

Do you all know if the model on display is for Florida or the California park?

Any more on the rumored Star Wars hotel?

Pretty sure the model is the California version, it seems to fit with that parcel of land, and there's no mention of Star Tours, which is being integrated into the MGM iteration. MiceChat has labeled the critter country and fantasy land portals.

They seemingly just confirmed the SW Resort a few minutes ago:
https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...isney-world/?CMP=SOC-DPFY17Q4D23DPBSupport15A

“It’s unlike anything that exists today.” Bob said. “From the second you arrive, you will become a part of a Star Wars story! You’ll immediately become a citizen of the galaxy and experience all that entails, including dressing up in the proper attire. Once you leave Earth, you will discover a starship alive with characters, stories, and adventures that unfold all around you. It is 100% immersive, and the story will touch every single minute of your day, and it will culminate in a unique journey for every person who visits.”

20106471_1334772899971655_8678482137351689829_n.jpg

Well, I mean, pretty much the only way you're not gonna wait in line all day for one of the new rides is by paying for the new Maxpass. SW is the cash cow that keeps giving.

Muppets is between Star Tours and the new SW land.

Hmm, I definitely could be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time, and I've been following the Disneyland progress for proximity's sake.

The 'insider' blogs I've been reading seem to be under the assumption that they will be linked.

Last edited:
Heck, it didn't hit me until this morning that the Millennium Falcon ride - which will almost certainly have a film or voice acting by the film actors – will have Rey as the captain of the ship, not Han. That makes me a bit sad, as I don't really consider Rey to be the true captain of the ship yet, because I'm just not used to it yet. I'd love to have one more thrilling ride on that ship with Harrison Ford, and I think others would as well.

Yeah, I'm with ya here buddy, the whole "Chewie, we're home." line choked me up a bit with laughter and emotion. Han Solo is THE Captain of the Millenium Falcon, everyone else is just filling his seat.

They're still selling Vader and everything OT... so it seems a little wrong - or odd - that they're investing so much into the First Order and the Resistance all at once.

And last I saw, it's Vader is the badguy at The Jedi Training Academy, not Kylo Ren. And Vader died long before Han Solo did! ;)

So why replace Han with Rey in the Falcon Ride?

I bet if there where two separate lines, one for the Han Solo Falcon Ride, and one for the Rey Falcon Ride, that the line with Han Solo as Captain of the Millenium Falcon would be full of Adults who are Star Wars fans, and Adults who are Starwars Fans with their children. The Rey as Captain of the Millenium Falcon line would be filled with Adults who are not Star Wars fans themselves, but have children that are Star Wars fans who have not seen the Original Trilogy.

With this line of reasoning, the Han Solo as Captain of the Millenium Falcon Ride line would be at least 2 times longer than the Rey as Captain of the Millenium Falcon Ride line. If Disney wants to milk the proverbial cash-cow, or in this case, the Fiscal-Falcon, they'd be smart to make Han Solo the voice/image of the ride.

Or, mix it up between the two scripted experiences, like Star Tours used to.
Maybe let the premium ticket buyers choose between Han and Rey, but for everyone else, it's the luck of the draw.

Re: star wars land

i was talking to my friend last night. he goes to disney with his mom and dad 3 times a year. he's going opening month, i can only imagine the traffic inside the park... i went with them twice, one of those times was for new years. during the day they closed the park because it reached the max capacity, we couldn't get the exact number but the rumor was 1million people, i dont know how true that is...

we couldn't do anything that day, it was shoulder to shoulder traffic...

i can't imagine what its going to be like, he's super pumped. i may go in 2020, give it a year so the newest is worn off

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back