Disney wants more 'Star Wars' in its theme parks

No one needs Star wars themed rides.

What we need is a death star we can walk around in and an echo base with a full sized falcon

Speak for yourself! While the things you mentioned all sound cool and I'd love to see them, Star Tours is still my fav ride at Disneyland and I'd love more Star Wars themed rides at the park. Or just its own land altogether.

They need not overthink this. No one needs Star wars themed rides.

What we need is a death star we can walk around in and an echo base with a full sized falcon

I heard they were going to turn Autopia into a speederbike ride. Now that would be cool.

...While the things you mentioned all sound cool and I'd love to see them, Star Tours is still my fav ride at Disneyland and I'd love more Star Wars themed rides at the park. Or just its own land altogether.
IF they did it right, I agree it could be fun. But they'll probably "Disneyfy" the snot out of everything and ruin it.

That sounds like a lame addition to Star Wars Weekends. The items mentioned were poorly named and the Jabba cupcakes looked disgusting. Hopefully, they have something better than that planned.

But they'll probably sell like hotcakes to little kids who are Star Wars fans. Remember, despite the appeal to adults, Disneyland/world is at its core a place for kids so the majority of their marketing items are going to be aimed towards that audience and not us adults. For adults they have more grown up faire with no real theming outside of a specific style/region of cuisine

Last edited:
But they'll probably sell like hotcakes to little kids who are Star Wars fans. Remember, despite the appeal to adults Disneyland/world, is at its core a place for kids so the majority of their marketing items are going to be aimed towards that audience and not us adults. For adults they have more grown up faire with no real theming outside of a specific style/region of cuisine

I agree. I am thinking of how picky eaters my kids are. While they will eat the Lightsaber sticks, I do not see them eating a Jabba the Hut cupcake. It looks like something that would come out the back end of my dog.

http://deadline.com/2015/07/disney-shanghai-star-wars-marvel-park-1201476148/

The Star Wars Launch Bay is described as a celebration of the Star Wars galaxy where guests will meet heroes and villains, board iconic intergalactic set-pieces, view props and memorabilia from the most recent episode, and be immersed in the Skywalker story through a state-of-the-art cinematic experience. Disney is amping up awareness of Star Wars in China where the six original films recently screened at the Shanghai Film Festival to help whet moviegoers’ appetites before The Force Awakes releases.

star-wars-launch-bay.jpg

Shanghai only? Or will this come to US parks too? Because it sounds awesome, but as much as I love Disney, if I ever get to Shanghai, it probably won't make the top 20 of my must see list.

I keep waiting to see something about more Star Wars coming to Disneyland but so far it seems to be more SW for every Disney park but the original, I'm so disappointed. Hopefully, with the new planned expansion we'll get a bit of Star Wars love down in SoCal.

There will most definitely be more Star Wars in the US theme parks. Many international regions, particularly in Asia, don't have a strong SW following and Disney knows there's a lot more low hanging fruit for SW attractions in the US. That SW Launch Bay concept is a low-cost attraction to help build franchise awareness for the new trilogy, Shanghai doesn't even seem to a have a Star Tours in the plans and in HK DIsneyland they replaced Star Tours with the Iron Man ride. We'll probably hear something in the coming year, if not by this Aug at D23.

Like I said earlier, I'm really hoping for some Star Wars at Disneyland, I could care less about Disney World and Epcot since I live nowhere near Orlando and I have no idea when, or even if, I'll ever visit the Magic Kingdom. Disneyland, on the other hand, is an entirely different story; I only like like 15 - 20 minutes away and up until a couple of months ago, I had an annual pass and I'm hoping to get an AP again after a while. So, if I get an AP again, more Star Wars at Disneyland would be a good thing for me since I'd be able to go and check it out almost any time I want.

I haven't kept up with Disneyland news in a long while, but do you guys think Innoventions will be gutted for something Star Wars?

I haven't kept up with Disneyland news in a long while, but do you guys think Innoventions will be gutted for something Star Wars?

My guess would be, yes. Given how packed Disneyland is right now it's about the only piece of space that's open for them to readily expand into without having to do a lot of relocating some of their backstage facilities. The only problem with the Innoventions space is that it's not a whole lot of space for them to put much into, certainly not a ride, unless it's something along the lines of Star Tours where you're largely static and nothing actually goes anywhere. I can see them putting some sort of exhibit space there or maybe putting the rumored Faclon mockup on top of the old People Mover que station and making the Innoventions building part of the line leading into the Falcon acting as a holding area and letting people in in batches.

Another rumor I had read about was they were taking about putting some sort of speeder ride that would take advantage of the old People Mover tracks. It would run on those tracks and go through or over parts of Autopia, and forcing a re-routing of the ride, as the area it would go through would be re-themed to be Endor. But that was only a rumor and I haven't followed up on it since I read first read about it.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back