Disney wants more 'Star Wars' in its theme parks

99% of the people who go to a Disney park would never pick up on those details. It just feels like a miss. I'd be interested to walk around, see and feel what made Star Wars what it is as opposed to something that is based on Star Wars. I'm not gonna shell out big bucks for that. That's not interesting to me. If Universal can create a Harry Potter world the way they have, then Disney should certainly be able to do even better with Star Wars. Just feels like the wrong instinct.

Disney's new revision the the Millennium Falcon:

Mickey_Falcon_zps2a6a8f4b.jpg

I was just at WDW. I checked out Pandora. There's eye candy there, to be sure. But, that goes only so far. There are only two rides. The River Journey is a big snore. It's a shorter version of "It's a Small World" on LSD. Extremely underwhelming. Flight of Passage was a bitch to even get on. Had to resort to showing up at the gates before opening. Even then, it was still a half hour wait. By the time we got off, it was better than a 3 hour wait. It's worth a half hour wait, tops. It's really not that big a deal at all. It's Soarin' with a bit of performance enhancing drugs. For me, not at all worth the hype or the effort we put into getting into it. I HOPE that they do better with Star Wars, and don't just copy and paste the same damn motion sim ride with different visuals, which is what it kind of sounds like is in the works. I'm sure the land itself will be eye candy, but if it's a locale nobody had ever seen before in a Star Wars movie, how much interest does it hold if you have no reference at all for what you're looking at? I don't know. I just REALLY hope they do better with it than they did with the Avatar stuff.

They have done a nice job or updating Star Tours and keeping it fresh. I really hope they are putting some creative juices into this one. Pandora just seemed weird to me. They put a lot of money into an 8 year old movie (yes I know they have sequels planned) but it's not really in a lot of people's minds like SW is. I am optimistic that they have saved some things we haven't seen before for this.

What concerns me a little is aside from the vehicles, that could be anything. Since there are so many different planets in SW, the only things that "feel" Star Wars are Imperial installations--the only common environmental designs in (most) of the films.

Without the ships, this is trees and rocks.

Yeah, with so many visually rich SW environments to choose from, it does seem odd that they decided to keep it generic.

Although having just closely looked over the model photos, it does look pretty cool. It gives a nice sense of scale to things, too. It looks much larger than I was imagining.

Last edited:
Do you all know if the model on display is for Florida or the California park?

Any more on the rumored Star Wars hotel?

Seems as if they decided to cross Endor/Tattooine/and wherever the rebel base was in E7.

Still dissappointed they elected to focus primarily on the new vs the OT.

Seems as if they decided to cross Endor/Tattooine/and wherever the rebel base was in E7.

Still disappointed they elected to focus primarily on the new vs the OT.

As I've mentioned before, from a creative/story telling standpoint it's a very smart move, it gives them complete creative freedom to make it however they want so long as it looks like it fits in the Star Wars universe. They can make it look how they want, they can populate it how they want, there's far fewer ties to established canon that they have to try and adhere to. It means that they don't have to worry about fans (of all ages) saying that it's odd or they can't do this or that because of previously established canon, and it allows them to do anything they want because it hasn't been and will probably never be in any of the movies.

- - - Updated - - -

On the subject of Star Wars in the parks, here's an official update on Star Warsland from Disney and in it we get our first (3D) look at what the land will look like.
https://www.cnet.com/news/disney-re...1acfa04&bhid=23571933649876978286879895480420

Yeah this isn't meant to be OT fan wish fulfillment, this attraction needs to stand the test of time and allow flexibility as the franchise movies move forward.

I'm pretty sure both parks are getting the same thing. Star Wars Land here in Southern California has been under construction for a while now. There are even pics and links to videos in this thread.

Yeah this isn't meant to be OT fan wish fulfillment, this attraction needs to stand the test of time and allow flexibility as the franchise movies move forward.

Bryan - if I am understanding your point correctly:

Though I rarely ever disagree with you, I have to on this point. Basing it around the OT isn't fan wish fulfillment, nor would it date the attraction. In fact, to my mind, exactly the opposite – the OT is pretty timeless in the mind of the general public , while tying it to the new films seems a bit of an attempt to make it as current as possible but unfortunately limiting it with respect to the overall SW universe. I have to say that I'm not particularly thrilled that we apparently won't be seeing OT stormtroopers – not only for my own interests as a fan but, to the average person, they are far more easily recognizable and associated with the franchise. And, though I like TFA, the OT is undoubtedly going to "stand the test of time" more than the current trilogy – it's just part of the fabric of our culture by now.

Heck, it didn't hit me until this morning that the Millennium Falcon ride - which will almost certainly have a film or voice acting by the film actors – will have Rey as the captain of the ship, not Han. But this is undoubtedly the case, not only because of the timeframe they are putting this in and do their desire to market more to the newer audience, but also because the D23 display specifically lists Solo as one of her " former captains". That makes me a bit sad, as I don't really consider Rey to be the true captain of the ship yet, because I'm just not used to it yet. I'd love to have one more thrilling ride on that ship with Harrison Ford, and I think others would as well.

m

Just from a devil's advocate point - the people spending the money are the OT fans much more than not, the OT has clearly stood the test of time, and 'Star Wars Land' seems to have no OT aspects shy of the falcon ride.

I'm not saying it should've been 100% OT, but there should be some. The OT is the only reason star wars land exists in the first place.

Bryan - if I am understanding your point correctly:

Though I rarely ever disagree with you, I have to on this point. Basing it around the OT isn't fan wish fulfillment, nor would it date the attraction. In fact, to my mind, exactly the opposite – the OT is pretty timeless in the mind of the general public , while tying it to the new films seems a bit of an attempt to make it as current as possible but unfortunately limiting it with respect to the overall SW universe. I have to say that I'm not particularly thrilled that we apparently won't be seeing OT stormtroopers – not only for my own interests as a fan but, to the average person, they are far more easily recognizable and associated with the franchise. And, though I like TFA, the OT is undoubtedly going to "stand the test of time" more than the current trilogy – it's just part of the fabric of our culture by now.

Heck, it didn't hit me until this morning that the Millennium Falcon ride - which will almost certainly have a film or voice acting by the film actors – will have Rey as the captain of the ship, not Han. But this is undoubtedly the case, not only because of the timeframe they are putting this in and do their desire to market more to the newer audience, but also because the D23 display specifically lists Solo as one of her " former captains". That makes me a bit sad, as I don't really consider Rey to be the true captain of the ship yet, because I'm just not used to it yet. I'd love to have one more thrilling ride on that ship with Harrison Ford, and I think others would as well.

m

I understand and to be more clear in 20 years there will be far more new film content released then we have had since 1977. Multiple generations of fans will be coming down the pike that will want to have their own experience at this attraction. There are obvious physical limitations to what they can do with a dedicated area of Disneyland or World. That area needs to be flexible enough to allow for changes over time to cater to the audience attending the parks. I see them over time adjusting and moving the attraction forward with the films themselves, making them current and evergreen relevant.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back