Ghostbusters Belt Gizmo

WarDarkFox

Wanting to add another Ghostbusters prop to my collection, I decided to build the gizmo. I purchased a kit from Doug(aka spongeface) from the gbfans site, and kind of put it off while I was still working on the pack. It wasn't until I found out a con was happening at the library(of all places) and wanted to go in my uniform. I didn't want to carry the trap since it was a little hefty and didn't know how easily maneuverable it would be in a crowded room so I decided to wear my gizmo in its place, which meant I had 3 days to built it.

Night 1: Soldered the first set of resisters(first time soldering too.) The majority of what is soldered are non functional parts
img0728vz.jpg

Night2: soldered all the gold pins, attached acylic pieces with stickers/run on transfers, and soldered the working components that will drive the led sequence.
img0730xa.jpg

Day/Night 3: This was crunch time. Considering the con was the next day(later found out the date was posted wrong and it was on Sunday not Saturday), I spent my lunch break at work getting the nixie tubes ready and heat shrinking the correct colored wires to the leads.
img0731jl.jpg

From 11:30pm to 4:30am I spent soldering and gluing the remaining pieces to the board. This included installing the Led's under the nixie tubes, solding the tubes to the board, attaching the error box, nixie shelf, completing the daughter board, attaching the cord between the gizmo and daughter board, and finally gluing the battery holder to the holster and testing. Here is all finished:
img0732n.jpg

and video of the led sequence.(for whatever reason youtube won't edit the orientation, sorry for that)

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks good. I have that IC board and some Nixies from a friend, and am just about to place an order for more of the parts that spongeface offers. Did you get the floating nixie shelf or the one that bolts to the IC board?

Alex

Looks good. I have that IC board and some Nixies from a friend, and am just about to place an order for more of the parts that spongeface offers. Did you get the floating nixie shelf or the one that bolts to the IC board?

Alex
Thank you! I got the shelf that bolts to the board. The floating shelf looked ok, but with the shelf with legs, The nixie tubes sit pretty snug in their gormes and don't move around(i didn't use any double sided tape to secure them to the shelf) and having the shelf bolted to the board for me just lessens the amount of worry that something might happen.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back