THe Jason's 60's Batarang Commission

13doctorwho

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I was asked to make a 60's "Sidekick" batarang for a member of this forum. This is what I've done so far...

I like to make the base of most of my batarangs aluminum. Aluminum is cheap, light, and easy to work with... and the fan boy in me likes the fact that the batarang is metal.

So I cut the overall shape out of 6061-T6 Aluminum 0.125 inches thick. I use a scroll saw.

The cut out aluminum blank...
Hero 60's sidekick Batarang blank.jpg

Then I sculpted the raised areas with epoxy putty. After that I sanded it to do some clean up and shaping...

The sculpted prop
Hero 60's Batarang sculpt.jpg

To smooth out seams and strengthen and seal the bond between the putty and aluminum I brush and epoxy coat over the whole prop.

The sealed prop
Hero 60's Batarang epoxy sealed.jpg

The next step is to prime it and see how we did, more sanding may be needed after priming as priming tends to make the defects stand out.

Take a look and let me know what you think!!!!!

Tonight's progress... The batarang primed and ready for painting. I think it's showing a lot of promise. Take a look and let me know what you think!!!!!

Primed Batarang
Hero 60's Batarang Primed.jpg

The person who commissioned this want a Batgirl sidekick Batarang. The only differnce between Batgirls batarang and Robins is the color. Batgirl's is purple to match her costume.

The painting is done, I just need to clear coat it. Take a look and let me know what you think!!!

Hero 60's Batarang Painted.jpg

The batarang is finally complete!! I coated the prop with a flat clear coat. I chose flat so that when the do the photoshoot there will be less glare. Take a look and let me know what you think!!!

Hero 60's Batarang COMPLETE.jpg

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back