Help finding a Enterprise-A (NCC-1701-A) kit

MrBackpack

As a wedding gift for my fiance, I want to get her a model of the Enterprise-A that I will build out for her.

I don't plan on finishing in time for the wedding on May 1st, but I do want to have the model/kit ready for her to see that I'm going to do it.

I've been looking on ebay at the various kits there, but I don't really know what I"m looking at. There are "Polar Lights" kits and "AMT" kits that range, in scale from 1/2500 all the way through 1/350.

Could someone give me a starting point that I should go off of?

Last edited:
The question you have aksed is a bit ambiguous It really depends on what size you want the model to be, how much money you want to spend, what level of model building skills you have etc

The 1/350 kits are pretty big, can be expensive and require a lot of time and skill to produce a good looking end result.

The smaller kits are cheaper, quicker in most respects to build and dont always require a huge amount of skill to put together.

You might want to clarify your problem a bit so the members here can offer informed advice.

Cheers
Tim

The question you have aksed is a bit ambiguous It really depends on what size you want the model to be, how much money you want to spend, what level of model building skills you have etc

The 1/350 kits are pretty big, can be expensive and require a lot of time and skill to produce a good looking end result.

The smaller kits are cheaper, quicker in most respects to build and dont always require a huge amount of skill to put together.

You might want to clarify your problem a bit so the members here can offer informed advice.

Cheers
Tim

Not much on skill level, but I do have lots of time and OCD-level attention to detail.

This is going to be a wedding gift kind of thing so I really do want it to be nice. In terms of length in actual measurements, what are the differences between the three models? I was think about displaying the model in either a display case of my nicer models or building a coffee table around.

Most of my experience in modeling comes from painting and assembling Warhammer 40k models and Reaper minis.

Amt original kits from the 1980's (except the frist one) are terrible. Those are about 20". The PL refit 1:350 is a very good kit, requires skill, and is around 3 1/2 feet long. The PL 1:1000 is a nice kit too and is a few inches long.

The 350 can be lit, but it's DIY. I got a kit myself and I'm into it $570 right now. For me that includes a lighting kit, Aztec Dummy templates, airbrush, paint, replacement shuttle bay (The "A") and the kit itself.

At any rate have fun and hope she likes it. My refit is going to have to wait until I finish Voyager for my wife. :)

My refit is going to have to wait until I [B said:
finish Voyager for my wife.[/B] :)

Holy crap where do you guys find these women? :eek

The mere mention of Star Trek, Star Wars, modelling or any form of si-fi chat to my wife and she becomes comatose! :D

Holy crap where do you guys find these women? :eek

The mere mention of Star Trek, Star Wars, modelling or any form of si-fi chat to my wife and she becomes comatose! :D

My fiance and I are both nerds. We love Star Trek, Star Wars, Doctor Who (originals -me, new-her), Dungeons and Dragons, and Stargate. I've been wanting my own Enterprise since my dad showed me TOS and "Wrath of Khan" when I was 4 or 5; my fiance is a mere excuse to have one.

Not much on skill level, but I do have lots of time and OCD-level attention to detail.

This is going to be a wedding gift kind of thing so I really do want it to be nice. In terms of length in actual measurements, what are the differences between the three models? I was think about displaying the model in either a display case of my nicer models or building a coffee table around.

Most of my experience in modeling comes from painting and assembling Warhammer 40k models and Reaper minis.

Given you want to give it as a wedding gift to your soon to be bride and are willing to spend some time on getting it right I would suggest the larger 1/350 kit from Polar Lights, there are plenty of after market items you can get to make it look more accurate and you are only limited by how much you want to spend. If its going to be encased in a coffee table and at ground level i probably wouldnt spend the money on any of the internal after market stuff simply because youll only see it if you get on your hands and knees.

If its going to be in a display case then I would make it as accurate as possible and light it up.

I have one which Im yet to start but thats what I intend to do once I get around to starting it

Cheers!

The QMX is without doubt an excellent model but i have seen stuff on here from both amateurs and professionals that are as good if not very close, it is certainly not work nearly $7k. The electronics are top notch though.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back