movies you used to hate, but now you like

rodneyfaile

Sr Member
I tried to watch Firefly when it first came out. Didn't like it. My girlfriend was a big fan of Buffy and Angel, and I definitely was not, so I was already biased against it.

Then Firely gets this big cult following, so I figure I must be missing something. Tried watching it again. Hated it even more.

I was bored the other day and thought I would try it once more. Third times the charm? I don't know why, but I really liked it this time. I am by no means a huge fan, but I am about 8 episodes in a looking forward to the rest.

Makes me wonder what else I should give another try.

For me it was lost and smallville
I tried to watch them when they came out and I could not do it
And last year I finally sat down to give them a try and Lovett them !!

Men In Black. I remember seeing it in the theater opening day and nothing ever clicked with me. When I saw it with my parents weeks later, for some reason it was my favorite film of the year! How does that happen?

I tried jumping into Doctor Who by renting the Key to Time arc on Netflix...and found it tough to get through. It wasn't until I watched the 2005 relaunch, and then began my watch-through of ALL the stuff in order that I came to appreciate the different eras.

2001. Took me 5 viewings before I finally "got it".
Same here. I'd give it a try every five to ten years, and could never make it past the 45 minute mark because it bored me. Earlier this year I decided to give it another try after having a short discussion about it with a friend, and for whatever reason this time it held my interest from start to finish. I'm still not crazy about the ending (i.e., everything that happens after HAL gets shut down), but now there's hope.

Another movie I really didn't care for is Steven Spielberg's 1941. I saw it with a few friends on opening weekend in 1979, and we all walked out of the theater with the opinion we'd just wasted two hours. About 15 years later I saw it on television and thought it wasn't bad. Saw it again about five years after that and liked it even more; now it's one of my favorite movies.

Agreed on 2001! Also I might have to re-watch 1941, because I was big time bummed from all the wasted talent on that film.

I would have to say Cop Out. I was pretty disipointed in the film, having thought Kevin Smith writing an action buddy flick with Bruce Willis staring would be a classic. On the 2nd/3rd time watching it, I found it funny enough all the way through, that its an easy enough watch anytime. Not as great as it could have been or really an action flick, but still amusing and a decent villian.

I know this is about movies, but I never really liked 30 Rock till I sat down on netflix and watched all the seasons. Only then did I appreciate the satire and characters.

SW prequels? :p

Ive known some who have gone from hating the prequels, to tolerating them. I am the opposite. I never was a big fan of the prequels, but I didnt hate them. The more I watch them though, the more I am becoming a prequel hater. Sorry, I cant put the prequels on this list.

Ive known some who have gone from hating the prequels, to tolerating them. I am the opposite. I never was a big fan of the prequels, but I didnt hate them. The more I watch them though, the more I am becoming a prequel hater. Sorry, I cant put the prequels on this list.
I had the same experience with the prequals, I wanted to love them because I had been waiting so long for SW to come back, but I ended up tolerating them. When I got the DVD set, I watched them all a few more times with my daughter, but with each viewing I saw more things I didn't like. Now I only put them in for reference material.:lol

Last edited:
I really didn't like the fifth element when I first saw it. Now it's one if my favorite sci if movies, after a few chance viewings.

Alien 3. I know most people hate this movie but after seeing it a few times it definitely grew on me.

Blade Runner. The first time I watched it I was fairly young and it just dragged on and on. I was expecting an action movie. A few years later, watched it again and loved it.

Dredd 3D......

.....hated it at the cinema.....i'm on record here for venting my spleen about this film, THEN....

.....i saw the 3d Bluray for about £8.00.....bought it, watched it twice so far and loved it.....:$:$:$

........maybe i was having a really bad day when i saw it at the cinema?

Rich

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back