How did you get into screen used collecting in the first place?

DeathAngel

Here's a three part question...

1) What did you use to collect before your screen used hobby?

2) How did you arrive where you are today with collecting screen used gems?

3) Do you still collect other items, or are you strictly a screen used junkie/collector?

Let your fellow fanantics know...

:)

Here's mine.

1) Before screen used props I was (and still am) a collector of Premium Format statues from the one and only Sideshow Collectibles. I also am a HUGE fan of custom garage kits and own 5 painted pieces by one of the best in the biz, Joe Dunaway.

I am however, more drawn to the one-of-a-kind kits than the Sideshow pieces so that I believe is one of the reasons why screen used interests me so much.

I also have a decent size diecast car collection that my dad and I've collected every year traveling to Leguna Seca.

2) I had known in the past that New Line Cinema held auctions for screen used items through their own website but unfortunately they no longer run auctions. I googled screen used collectibles a couple months back just for fun and ran into Screenused.com and Propstore.com

I also ran into this site which had nothing to say but great things about both. And so I ordered my first pieces.

3) Screen used items are very expensive. That right there, plus a desire to focus my collection and keep things simple has made me decide to quite collecting other things (at least for the time being) and focus on screen used.

It's going to take my entire will power to put other things on hold and cancel getting other items, but I believe ultimately it will be COMPLETELY worth it in the end.

Last edited:
1) I collect various things including original comic art, old Nintendo stuff, animation cels from X-Men animated series, Star Wars 12" line (the standard Kenner stuff), and replicas of various puppets/characters. I also am a huge Boba Fett fan and have two display cases strictly of items about him.

2) I've always loved movies and been a huge movie fan, and was excited when I found out you could buy replicas of certain things that I loved. Then I found out you could buy actual screen used props and costumes, and it was a downhill spiral from there for my wallet.

3) For the most part I only buy props and wardrobe now, except if I find something I want for my other collections that are missing. But mainly just original movie stuff.

1) What did you use to collect before your screen used hobby?

Collected comics all my life. Major Matt Mason toys starting in 1997 with the advent of eBay. And have a small but nice book collection.

2) How did you arrive where you are today with collecting screen used gems?

Bought my first screen used item in 1996 (Judge Dread Law Giver from Profiles). Then my first Star Trek costumes in 2006 from Christie's (Kirk & Sisko). Starting writing my blog that December, which lead to starting Propworx in 2008 when I got the gig to sell the Battlestar Galactica assets.

3) Do you still collect other items, or are you strictly a screen used junkie/collector?

Still collect the things I used to as well as screen used items!

Alec

It's great to hear a little background history with some of the board members so thanks Ron and Alec! Hopefully others will share too, but we'll just have to wait and see.

Ron- Did you purchase the Xmen Animated Series that was officially released on dvd a couple years back? Xmen TAS is a fantastic show and was a great part of my childhood. Also what kind of old nintendo stuff do you own? Are they listed on your collection page or is that just movie stuff? I guess I'll have to recheck that out if it is...

Alec- I would collect other things as well but I've already ordered 3 screen used items, and it's taking all of my will power to not order a 4th, lol.

I don't need to have another monthly payment, and since that's just screen used items, I should probably hold off on other things at the moment.

Speaking of which, I should probably stop perusing Propstore's site and stop adding to the "add your favorite films page" on my account so they stop emailing me every time new items are available under my favorite films!!!

I don't need the temptation... :lol

1) Movie related items, mostly action figures.

2) Found screen used hobby on accident looking for other movie items on ebay, made my first deal with propstore a few months later that was over 10 years ago.

3) I collected a little of everything over the years, now all my money gets saved for screen used wardrobe.

1) Movie related items, mostly action figures.

2) Found screen used hobby on accident looking for other movie items on ebay, made my first deal with propstore a few months later that was over 10 years ago.

3) I collected a little of everything over the years, now all my money gets saved for screen used wardrobe.

Over 10 years ago?! Wow how long has Propstore been in business? What was that first item you bought oh so long ago?

I plan on saving all my pennies for screen used items also.

1. I collected all kinds of things as a kid. As an adult, it's been Star Wars toys, mostly in the realm of prototypes.

2/3. My first prop piece was a Star Wars Death Star section and some original storyboards. I kinda ran out of things in the toy realm I really wanted. It had run its course, though I still do collect the toy items and there are still a few pieces I'm looking for. I needed somewhere new to search for pieces as the toy items I want are #1 very few and #2 locked up in collections and #3 mostly one of a kind. So until and if they come out of the private collections, there was little for me to continue to collect with toys.

Another factor is that my wife loves the prop collecting, so it's fun to have her along for the ride, which never happened with the toys. I showed her a piece the other day that a friend was offering to me. I liked it, and thought it would be a good add, but was a little on the fence, but she instantly said "I want it. Get it." Nice to have that kind of support.

Cj

It's great that you have someone that can support your collecting habits Cj.

Not that I care what people think of me, but there's something "easier" about telling people I collect screen used props/wardrobe as opposed to telling people I collect "toys".

1) It kinda went "Action figures>Vehicles>Statues>Model kits> Replica props>Replica costumes>Screen-used props>Screen-used costumes"

2) Chunks of Sarlacc kindly sent to a number of folk by Mr Brandon Allinger :)
I then got a really good deal on a set of Starship Troopers 2 armour that turned out to have been made for SST1 and also used in Firefly, then managed to get another really good deal on one of Simon Pegg's bloody shirts from Shaun Of The Dead, and the rest came as and when I found something either cheap enough or tradable.

3) I do still collect other bits, as well as making what I can given limited time, resources and facilities.
Having to slow down the action figure collecting as I simply don't have room. I DO, however, have two kids... And they're geeks as well, and as luck would have it tend to ask for the very figures I'd be buying myself anyway! So, y'know... win!
Just gotta grin and bear it when stuff gets broken is all...

I picked up a smaller item from one of my favorite films Army of Darkness and it was all over after that, I'm hopelessly but happily addicted.

I think propstore has been around since 1998

welcome to the fold, giving up your comicbook an action figure money is an easy first step, when you start prioritizing all of your bills to find new prop money you know you got a problem,:angel

Over 10 years ago?! Wow how long has Propstore been in business? What was that first item you bought oh so long ago?

I plan on saving all my pennies for screen used items also.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back