BUILD THREAD: Star Trek TOS Phaser Rifle

Wow, this is one I would have loved to thought of to do!! I can see from your work thus far that this will turn out PERFECT.(y)thumbsup:thumbsup

Gonna sell it?

bravo!

love love love projects like this.

i'll never forget a high school pal started carving a pistol phaser from balsa and it looked great - but not sure he ever finished.

also, what a feeling it is to have some extra parts you need just laying around from other projects that work perfectly for what you need -- how often does THAT happen...and the slip washers being an exact fit -- i bet that felt good. i know how much time i have spent just wandering the aisles of a hardware store or hobby shop looking for some elusive bolt, screw, toggle or some such, so to have something you need be right under your nose, well, feels good.

thanks for posting your build pics...look forward to updates.

Yeah, it's always nice to be able to use leftover materials from another project. I'd feel better about the acrylic tubing except for the fact that before the screen-used rifle went up for auction, I was taking a guess at the overall length. I thought it was more like 36"-38" as opposed to 34". So even though I had a piece of the correct 2" tubing from another project, I went and bought a new piece of 2.5" tubing thinking that was correct size. So now I have THAT lying around. Hopefully it will come in handy some day.

Speaking of components I had to go out and buy, I did have to buy some ripped tubing for the inside of the cylinders. I just got a general purpose ribbed hose from the hardware store. While not 100% accurate, it's close enough and it was only $10:

51_riflewip24.jpg

Cut to length with a piece of balsa inside to keep it straight:

51_riflewip25.jpg

Painted them up. The copper paint I had on hand was Rustoleum Copper Metallic, but it wasn't really orange enough, so after I painted them, I oversprayed them with Tamiya Clear Orange and the color seems pretty close now:

51_riflewip26.jpg

Assembling the tubes was easy. I used a drywall screw through the end caps which screws right into the balsa running down the tubes. Everything is tight, so no glue was necessary. Which is good because gluing transparent acrylic to anything always looks a little messey because you can see the bonded edge:

51_riflewip27.jpg

I also painted some small acrylic domes for the light lenses. I wanted to use colored cabochons, but I didn't have any in the right size and color. So these are just painted with clear red, yellow, and orange and clearcoated:

51_riflewip28.jpg

I satin clearcoated all the blue parts. I'm starting to see how it will all come together:

51_riflewip29.jpg

This is really tremendous. I started one of these last year and basically abandoned it out of frustration. The scaling I did was quite off I felt and even worse my finishing skills at the time were really not up to par.

You've inspired me to take another crack at it. Someday.

(y)thumbsup
Jon

Yeah, it's always nice to be able to use leftover materials from another project. I'd feel better about the acrylic tubing except for the fact that before the screen-used rifle went up for auction, I was taking a guess at the overall length. I thought it was more like 36"-38" as opposed to 34". So even though I had a piece of the correct 2" tubing from another project, I went and bought a new piece of 2.5" tubing thinking that was correct size. So now I have THAT lying around. Hopefully it will come in handy some day.

Speaking of components I had to go out and buy, I did have to buy some ripped tubing for the inside of the cylinders. I just got a general purpose ribbed hose from the hardware store. While not 100% accurate, it's close enough and it was only $10:

51_riflewip24.jpg

Cut to length with a piece of balsa inside to keep it straight:

51_riflewip25.jpg

Painted them up. The copper paint I had on hand was Rustoleum Copper Metallic, but it wasn't really orange enough, so after I painted them, I oversprayed them with Tamiya Clear Orange and the color seems pretty close now:

51_riflewip26.jpg

Assembling the tubes was easy. I used a drywall screw through the end caps which screws right into the balsa running down the tubes. Everything is tight, so no glue was necessary. Which is good because gluing transparent acrylic to anything always looks a little messey because you can see the bonded edge:

51_riflewip27.jpg

I also painted some small acrylic domes for the light lenses. I wanted to use colored cabochons, but I didn't have any in the right size and color. So these are just painted with clear red, yellow, and orange and clearcoated:

51_riflewip28.jpg

I satin clearcoated all the blue parts. I'm starting to see how it will all come together:

51_riflewip29.jpg

no trigger?

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back