TOS Saurian Brandy bottle mod

Whovian

Didn't feel right calling this a 'build' thread' ;)

I recently scored a Dickel powder horn bottle pretty cheap, so I thought I'd do up a Saurian Brandy bottle like those shown below...

Last edited:
Now I know that they used a strip of masking tape and not more leather to cover the lettering going up the side of the bottle, so no worries there. I was more concerned about how to cover the lettering going around the bottom of the bottle, just above the leather base, like the attached image shows.

However, after viewing dozens of pics online, it looks like they might not have actually covered those letters at all. Not in TOS, or DS9. See attached images, and look in white markings.

Anyone have any thoughts on that point?

Now, as for the color of the leather, I really don't think it was quite as 'red' as people seem to think. The images above look more like a light-ish tan-ish red. Still researching this point.

First things first... removing the labels. I'll post pics once that is done.

No they never covered up the lettering on the bottom.

Having done quite a few bottles in 37 years I always HATED removing those friking labels!!

I thought the color should be the same color of the Bridge hand railing

Well, got the labels removed, fairly easily as it turned out. They were so dry, they scraped off quickly. Then I used a kitchen sponge with the plastic scrubbie that you use on non-stick pans to lightly scrub the residue away.

Okay. I got a few paint samples last night. What do you think? Which looks closer to the photo? I'm leaning towards True Red.

Last edited:
Did some initial testing. It actually looks like the first one, Autumn Red, is closer to the screen used one. The True Red is a little too bright. Pics tomorrow.

That reference still is a bit faded. I think any of those reds could be argued for, given any particular print/lighting/episode.

You're already past this, but a tip for others on removing the labels: I soaked mine under water overnight, and then the labels scraped off quite easily.

Well of course with differences in screens, color settings, lighting and even the film that used for TOS, it's going to be quite difficult to match a color so close. Without having the actual prop and color samples to examine in person... But on my screen the color looks closer to the calico :D

did some testing, went with the Autumn Red. 2nd coat is drying now. Once I can handle it safely, I'll post the pics.

Now to find a cork... the original was dry and snapped in half...lol. At least the wooden top is in perfect shape.

I've found 3 of those over the years, one of which is the lighter amber, but I've yet to find one with the wooden stopper still attached.

I've found 3 of those over the years, one of which is the lighter amber, but I've yet to find one with the wooden stopper still attached.
I've seen a few of the lighter amber bottles, but they usually go for a few hundred. The cork should be easy to find. As for the wooden stopper, I'd have thought twice about buying the bottle without it.

3rd coat is almost dry!

The stopper should be quite easy to fabricate. It's just a truncated cone with a cork glued to it.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back