G.I. Joe: Retaliation (Post-release)

- Channing Tatum couldn't act his way out of a paper bag. If part of the reason for the delay of the release of this movie was to add more footage of him, that was completely wasted.

I agree with you for the most part but I actually think he did a good job in 21 Jump Street and Magic Mike.

I just got back and thought it was pretty decent action flick.

- At times the Rock was just a little much, dude back off the hardcore ego just a tad.
- Lady Jaye was mmmhmmmm...sorry but wow!
- Flint's character was lost in the shuffle unfortunately. I think he could of used a little more of the spotlight.
- I really dig how the masks stayed on the characters longer than I expected
- Firefly's jacket was badass!

Last edited:
I grew up with GI Joe ( I had every toy and watched the cartoon in the early 80s:cool) however the 1st movie was panned so badly I never bothered to see it. I'm tempted to see this one based on the reveiws I heard on the radio and read on here. Do I need to see the 1st movie to "get" the story in this one? I'd like to see it mostly for the nostalgia, and also to see a live action fight with SE vs SS :D. So could this be a stand alone film?

I think so. If you have a working knowledge of the 80s cartoon G.I. Joe, you could easily go into this without seing Rise Of Cobra. As has been said, they pretty much ignore it, anyway. I also agree that it kinda played like a live-action take on the cartoon with less campy silliness.

Not great, but not bad. If they did a sequel, and kept things this way or better, I'd be up for it.

Just saw this.

Things they did right:
1. The Filecard! Nice touch
2. Lady Jaye....red dress
wolf-and-girl.gif
ehhhherrmmm
3. Cobra Commander's dialogue
4. Boss battles...H.I.S.S. vs. Tread Ripper, Firefly vs. Roadblock, Ninjas vs. everyone.

What they did wrong:
1. Zartan's cheesy one-liners.
2. Cobra Commander's dialogue. "You're out of the band" :facepalm
3. Killing off main characters.
4. Flint. Cool tricks, no substance.

Overall I'd say this was a 7/10. And it totally helped that the Joe's had chemistry to some degree.:thumbsup

Edit: Just remember, I totally ****ing biased...

Last edited:
Pretty much awful, but I loved it :D. And it was Hamlet compared to the last one... I gotta say I thought RZA was awesome BECAUSE he was so bad. It was a silly romp and his cheese was fun.

Firefly is my fave Cobra and they did pretty good by him. I'm happy. The unwatchable last movie is cleansed from my consciousness now.

Maybe I just didn't watch enough G.I. Joe as a tyke but I don't feel it was worth the price of admission (certainly not 3D). I also had trouble shutting off my brain so the utter bull**** elements of the plot were really taking me out of the film. I don't get why either, since I can shut my brain off for all the bull**** in the first film's plot.

RZA was utterly painful, completely pulled me out of the movie. Good grief. I don't remember a damn thing Flint did in that film besides stare at Lady Jaye in her underwear and get Duke killed. He got less development than Duke did in his five minutes of screen time, you could have excised Flint from the film and lost nothing it seems. I wasn't excited by any of the action either. Even the big battle on the mountain. Swing, cut lines of 1/3 of the bad guys, rinse, repeat.

Did it seem like none of the actors were having a good time, besides Pryce? Bruce wasn't phoning it in, but he wasn't digging it. Everyone else seemed to be going through the numbers. In the first one at least a few people clearly were there just for the money (or fun of it) and had fun with the material.

Just saw it, glad I only paid $5...it was so-so at best, not any worse than the first one, but certainly not any better (IMHO).

And I still can't believe they killed off Duke after all the jibba-jabba about that being poorly received and needing to do re-shoots. I mean, what was the point of having him there anyway then...there was no "this is for Duke" line or anything...

I saw it this morning as non-3d since I'm still not a big fan of that format and I enjoyed it. It was a nice throwback to the old cartoon. Part of me wanted to hear OLD Cobra Commanders voice but I'm glad we didn't on the same note. Walton Goggins little cameo was awesome, the man is just good at any role they find him.

RZA was corny, but it was as you'd have expected out of the cartoon.

Firefly was a show stealer.

I enjoyed it for what it was. I'm a fan so I'm biased but just to see my fav characters come to life just made me so happy. I do wish they gave the vipers the helmets with the chrome visors though

I saw it last night and I enjoyed it for what it was, at the end of the day it was GI joe not The Shawshank Redemption. I wasn't expecting oscar worthy performances so therefore I wasn't dissapointed.

The fact that this was a more realistic take on the franchise rather than all the crappy sci-fi stuff from the first movie was a welcome change and the overall set and costume design was tons better. People complaining about RZA's acting seem to forget we had to sit through an entire movie last time with the painfull Ripcord.

Non-stop action and pretty brainless but it does it what it says on the tin.

3.5 / 5

Went to see it because some reviews were good LIARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i expected mindless action etc, didnt even get that. horrible pacing,horrible movie its just bad all the way around, what a waste ,wanted my money back .

haha i actually liked it a lot for what it was. there were some things that annoyed me tho. for example:
the cobra satellite briefcase had 2 buttons , one to launch and one to abort. why would you, if you want to take over the world have the abort button automatically destroy all the satellites? i mean thats just stupid
the movie had a few of those moments, but overall i liked it

i also love jd, hes allways so grumpy about new stuff, he likes nothing xD

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back