G.I. Joe: Retaliation (Post-release)

Vivek

Master Member
This is the post-release thread for G.I. Joe: Retaliation with spoiler discussion.

The movie is getting released tomorrow on March 28 (Thursday) in US, but is already released today on March 27 in UK, France, India and few other countries. Sadly it's still not playing in my local multiplex at Cinepolis, hopefully it will be there by Friday.

You can find the pre-release discussion thread here.

You know what would make sure the new movie is WAY better than the last one? If somewhere during the movie, we get an updated (but hard rock/metal, none of that k-rap/hip-hop/pop B.S.) version of this classic from 1987...

G.I.*Joe: The Movie (1987) Theme Song

That would be the sweet, sweet icing on the cake! :D

Gonna go see Retaliation at either 11 PM or Midnight tonight, YO JOE! :thumbsup;)

The movie was pretty good. Miles ahead of the first film. It Acknowledges certain aspects of the first film but chose to ditch the more silly elements such as the power suits and the sci-fi cobra weapons in favor of tech that's more plausible.

There were definitely some cheesy moments in it but its to be expected. Some good humor in it but they really reined it in compared to the first film. They went the more serious route with it.

Some great characters and Ray Stevenson was really good as firefly. Cobra Commander is actually bad ass in this film and it almost seems like they ignored the stupid CC is my ex-girlfriends little brother crap.

Hands down the best scene in the film is the Mountain fight between Snakes Eyes and Jinx versus the Red Ninjas. I just wish they had done it like I had read where they cut the music and just had them battling. Would of made it great.

My only real major gripes was that not once did Flint pick up a shotgun. I mean they gave Snack Eyes is SMG's, why not flint his signature weapon. Also they never explain what happens to the Joes from the previous film like Scarlett, Ripcord, Heavy Duty, and General Hawk. Lastly, RZA as blind master........no.....just no. You suck dude, no offense.

Ultimately it was enjoyable. Definitely not going to win any awards or really be in anyone's top 10 films of 2013 but its some mindless fun.

You know what would make sure the new movie is WAY better than the last one? If somewhere during the movie, we get an updated (but hard rock/metal, none of that k-rap/hip-hop/pop B.S.) version of this classic from 1987...

G.I.*Joe: The Movie (1987) Theme Song

That would be the sweet, sweet icing on the cake! :D

Gonna go see Retaliation at either 11 PM or Midnight tonight, YO JOE! :thumbsup;)

The video game of the first movie had an orchestrated version of the cartoon theme but there's no soundtrack for it and it's only like 1 minute long. I think the Rock and the new CC armor is a step in the right direction. I think they listened to the complaints about the last one.

I am struggling with how I feel about this movie and trying to determine if I liked it because it was good (or at least had a lot of good elements) or if is simply because it was nearly impossible for it to be worse than the first movie. In some ways I feel about this movie the way I feel about the Transformers' movies; I love seeing my childhood passions brought to life and loved seeing the massive robots beating the crap out of one another, but pretty much everything else was horrific. I feel the same about GI Joe. Seeing Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow fight (and there was a lot more of it than I was expecting) was absolutely awesome and my inner child was cheering, but much of the rest of the movie was just painful.

Some observations:

- Channing Tatum couldn't act his way out of a paper bag. If part of the reason for the delay of the release of this movie was to add more footage of him, that was completely wasted.
- RZA can't act period. He was absolutely painful to watch.
- The first ten minutes or so of the movie were dreadful and made me think we were going to see the first film all over again. Then it gets darker and better.
- Lots of completely unnecessary exposition that is distracting and spoonfeeds you the story.
- The costumes in the first film were great. The costumes in this film are even better (outside of Storm Shadow's Michael Jackson inspired jacket). Snakes Eyes finally looks like Snake Eyes! Cobra Commander looks like a badass. The Joes look more realistic. Great stuff!
- Everything dealing with ninjas, the Arashikage (with RZA being the only exception) and Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow was just awesome and worth going to see the film alone. These parts were pure movie magic and childhood dreams come to life.
- Walter Goggins should be in more films. Even though he has a relatively small part, he was awesome.
- Jinx was not nearly as bad as I expected and was the perfect partner for Snake Eyes although there is one odd moment between them I didn't understand.
- Lady Jaye steps squarely into the position of Scarlett from the first film and even has some of Scarlett's attitude. It is a shame that members like Scarlett aren't referenced at all. They just don't seem to exist in this movie.
- I love Bruce Willis, but his character is poorly written and serves very little purpose in the movie. It feels like he wanted to be in a GI Joe movie, so they just crammed a character into the story line for him.
- Thankfully, there is no painful love story in this movie. There is a glimpse of a love interest, but they didn't push it at all, which was really nice.

Overall, the movie was a little disjointed for me and it felt like I was watching scenes written by different people, some good and some not so good. I walked out relatively satisfied but primarily because my favorite character, Storm Shadow, got a lot more screen time than expected, had a character arc, and was handled nearly perfectly (as was Snake Eyes). Outside of that, it was a bit of a mixed bag.

SPOILER:
At the end of the movie, I walked out and realized that in 3 minutes, Cobra managed to accomplish what we hadn't accomplished in decades; the complete nuclear disarmament of the world. While their intentions were not good, can you really call them bad guys since they accomplished this feat with relative ease?

Just saw the film, wow really impressive overall, the first operation of the movie was a little daft (gloves so hot they melt fence wire but fingerless, a sniper who's job is to shoot a mug!) which was a shame as it set up the rest of the film.
SPOILER
I was really shocked that channing died, I swear I read somewhere that the film saw delayed a year so that they could reshoot scenes to keep Duke alive? Can someone tell me what the real story is?

Art, Walton Goggins is pure genius on the screen! Every small role I've seen him in is pretty spot on!

I like that they've pretty much killed everything ROC and only mentioned the nanomites briefly to tie them in. That could make for some interesting prequels/sequels.

And RZA needs to quit letting his agent talk him into Kung-fu roles. He just ins't good enough for that crap.

I'm still looking forward to this. Hopefully we hear about something being greenlit in the future, but I don't expect it to be better than this. :(

Also, thank heavens that they didn't go with anything tied to this image.

View attachment 152288

I don't know if they changed the storyline or if it was only rumor to begin with, but I had heard that Snake Eyes was going to train Roadblock in the ways of the Ashikage to overthrow Cobra. I was absolutely dredding that and glad we never saw it.

View attachment 152288

I don't know if they changed the storyline or if it was only rumor to begin with, but I had heard that Snake Eyes was going to train Roadblock in the ways of the Ashikage to overthrow Cobra. I was absolutely dredding that and glad we never saw it.
Well, there is still a line of dialogue in the film where Roadblock says "I trained with Snake-Eyes for 6 years", but there's nothing too unusual about that... Snake-Eyes always WAS supposed to be one of the Joe team's combat instructors. :thumbsup;)

View attachment 152288

There was a comic that was a movie tie-in/prequel that had that storyline. I dont believe any of it was ever supposed to be in the film, though.

Just saw the film, wow really impressive overall, the first operation of the movie was a little daft (gloves so hot they melt fence wire but fingerless, a sniper who's job is to shoot a mug!) which was a shame as it set up the rest of the film.
SPOILER
I was really shocked that channing died, I swear I read somewhere that the film saw delayed a year so that they could reshoot scenes to keep Duke alive? Can someone tell me what the real story is?

Lol after 25 years Duke finally got what was coming to him in the animated movie until they changed dialogue. :lol

io9 suggested not seeing it in 3D but it's the only option I have with my schedule this weekend. Was the 3D ok? I'm not normally a fan. It's dark and blurry...

Saw it last night for the sneak at Arclight, it's a rental... I wouldn't bother paying movie ticket prices to see this if I could do it all over again.

And just to set the record straight, I actually enjoy the first GI Joe as mindless popcorn entertainment and nothing more, and only if it's on TV, or Netflix streaming if I'm bored enough. The sequel is marginally better (specifically the action choreography, tech, Joe chemistry, and since this is RPF, the costumes), but still suffers from its fair share of stupid moments and a few action sequences that leave you wanting more.

Last edited:
Just got home from seeing it and absolutely loved it. It felt like watching a live-action version of one of the miniseries they did back in the day.

I'm actually kind of sad now that the Wonder Woman show they attached Adrianne Palicki to was such a piece of poo. I think she could've pulled it off and done so well after seeing her as Lady Jaye.

In any event, I liked the movie a lot and would love to see more like it.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back