Liquid Chrome Aerosol

I've never heard anything good about spray can chromes. I've heard plenty of stories of it never drying fully, or chipping and marring when dry. I've also heard that it doesn't look like chrome when dry or that if its sealed it dulls to a flat silver.

I've just watched the videos and it looks incredibly convincing! The spray seems to go on super smooth and light, and the guy then buffs to a mirror finish 30 seconds after spraying!

It does seem very expensive, though...the base spray is £37.00 alone.....the Chrome spray is equally priced, and it does seem to take a lot of spraying for the effect to work....

Rich

im pretty sure it won't turn out a true chrome,

the base coat is probably the key to a good finish.

-z

I actually chatted to a guy at the company, they don't deliver to me so it's not tested. He confirms that a high gloss black is really important for the finish. And to be sure it is 24 hours gassed off before applying the chrome. It does look great though.

Did you think of using chrome mylar? Just cut it into panels and iron it on. You can get it at any hobbyshop.

nek_naboo_06.jpg

This stuff looks interesting, as I have a 1:222 Naboo Royal Starship released by Fantastic Plastic several years ago. I wonder though, what´s the difference between the "Liquid Chrome Aerosol" and "Liquid Chrome Spray Paint"? Does the Aerosol come in a rattle can and the spray paint is for airbrushing?

I actually chatted to a guy at the company, they don't deliver to me so it's not tested. He confirms that a high gloss black is really important for the finish. And to be sure it is 24 hours gassed off before applying the chrome. It does look great though.

As with anything... I assumed prep was the key. And all the objects were painted a high gloss black. I think the process is amazing - if it actually works. :)

I'm getting some panel light bezels 3D printed for the 1:1 Scale MF cockpit console. I'm definately going to give this a shot!

This stuff looks pretty cool - if it works as advertised. Hmmm.... I wonder if this would be a viable option to get a decent spray finish (with the colored lacquer finishing option) on an Indy fertility idol...

Strange...

I remember when I was a kid, and have a toy similar to Lego blocks...

There were some small pieces that was very like chrome, mirror look, but it was plastic, and when the piece got old, after play much, some of the "chrome" begun to run out, but not like in flakes like chrome do when get old, but like a plastic paint get after too old and erode.

If many year ago there was a pint to look like chrome... why only in recent years chrome paint got modelers market???

I watched the video you posted first, this is a new vid to the one I saw before, it seems to give good results. Things to note, every object has a high gloss black base, and they do a time wipe while applying the chrome, you really can't see how much you need to give good coverage. So it could be expencive, however as a home apply system from a can, it's pretty damm good as most of us don't have a silver nitrate setup in the workshop. For ultra finish items I'd still ring around and see if anyone can do a pro job though. Can someone buy a can and try it out then :)

I'm debating whether to go ahead and purchase the system or have the parts in question actually chromed. Decisions Decisions

Hi,
Ive had some good results with Krylons Original Chrome.
Theres a trick to how I used it though.
1. Don't use it straight out of the can.
2. Sand and smooth the surface you are applying it to. Clean off all residue.
3. Apply a black undercoat first. This helps the chrome pop brighter.
4. Transfer ( spray ) the chrome paint into another container ...a small amount at a time. Then use your airbrush to apply a light even coat .
5. Let the coat dry fully then apply other coats on top... heavier than the original coat ...lettit dry between coats until you have the finish you want
Hope this helps.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back