Supernatural Colt or close enough?

zodiac

Black Powder Outlaw Revolver Replica with Stand

A15-BK1865.image

Found this while looking at what knives they have that match up to movie/video game knives that I've been looking for and thought it was damn close.

It has a little too much scroll work on the barrel and you'd have to remove the tubes under the barrel and the trigger assembly, tweak a few other things as well. But for $24 is this close enough for a base?

Hey Zodiac -

That gun is nowhere near close, sir. I think that, even with a machine shop or modeling abilities beyond the norm, you couldn't make that look right. The loading lever, trigger, and trigger guard would have to come off, the cylinder would need to be reworked, and the engraving on the show's gun is not as deep or elaborate as the work on the gun you've pictured.

The actual gun they used on the show is an Italian-made replica of the 1836 Texas Paterson. It was totally a found item, and it's no longer manufactured. The engraving - with the exception of the Latin on the barrel (and the pentagrams on the grips) - was already in place.

There is a Colt project ongoing here at the RPF in which a real Pietta 1836 Extra Deluxe is being turned into The Colt for purposes of making replicas for all the good little boys and girls - so perhaps we'll need search no more very soon?

Check this out.

Hey Zodiac -

That gun is nowhere near close, sir. I think that, even with a machine shop or modeling abilities beyond the norm, you couldn't make that look right. The loading lever, trigger, and trigger guard would have to come off, the cylinder would need to be reworked, and the engraving on the show's gun is not as deep or elaborate as the work on the gun you've pictured.

The actual gun they used on the show is an Italian-made replica of the 1836 Texas Paterson. It was totally a found item, and it's no longer manufactured. The engraving - with the exception of the Latin on the barrel (and the pentagrams on the grips) - was already in place.

There is a Colt project ongoing here at the RPF in which a real Pietta 1836 Extra Deluxe is being turned into The Colt for purposes of making replicas for all the good little boys and girls - so perhaps we'll need search no more very soon?

Check this out.

I knew about Ozy's build but if you compare the basic shape of the gun body's they are similar enough for those of us who can't spend $200+ on something to sit on a shelf.

The cylinders are also similar, not exact but relativly close, but I can see that the Colts is more rounded towards the rear. And obviously the hammer would have to be fabricated as this replicas isn't as large or rounded out as the Colts.

As far as machine work, anyone with a vice and a grinder/cutting tools could remove the engraving and the excess portions under the main body.

My main point was that it's pretty close for someone on a budget and a little ingenuity. I know I can't afford a real pietta.

Pardon the poor paint workup as I'm on a work computer but this is what I meant.

colt_zpsbead9683.jpg

Obviously not screen accurate but with a little work it's totally doable for I'd estimate under $100 granted you don't mind 80% accuracy and have the metal working tools such as a Dremel and grinder.

My apologies. I did not know you were aware of the project.

Yeah I've been waiting for him to post more details but regardless a budget such as mine will probably exclude me from the run. Such is life.

I still think this is a viable option for only a $24 initial investment and some elbow grease.

Sorry if I came of stand-offish, I'm bored at work and brainstorming.

zodiac,
I have been working on "The Colt" on and off for some time now, probably even longer that Ozy. With what you get from BUD K for the price, sure.......go for it. if you have more elbow grease and time than you have money, why not, I think it would be fun.

zodiac,
I have been working on "The Colt" on and off for some time now, probably even longer that Ozy. With what you get from BUD K for the price, sure.......go for it. if you have more elbow grease and time than you have money, why not, I think it would be fun.

Yeah, definitely have more time and elbow grease available than funds for my hobbies.

Do you have a thread or any info on your colt build available?

I think I may give it a go after I move this summer, hopefully I'll have a decent workspace then too.

I don't have any build pics, its a project that myself and a friend (a colt expert) have been working on for a while using a standard Colt 1836 Paterson reproduction. which means a 7.5" barrel, and no engraving. We plan on lengthening the barrel to 9" and adding the engraving.

Sweet, well good luck to you! It really is an awesome weapon, just a shame that so much of the Supernatural weaponry is so damned rare and expensive!

I have the same pistol on my shelf :)

It's pretty badass, and I had the same thought. Perfect for a cheap DIY version of the colt. I've seen quite a few cosplayers use it as a prop.

Hell, it even comes with the stand. Can't beat that :)

Chris

I have the same pistol on my shelf :)

It's pretty badass, and I had the same thought. Perfect for a cheap DIY version of the colt. I've seen quite a few cosplayers use it as a prop.

Hell, it even comes with the stand. Can't beat that :)

Chris

Haha nice! See I'm not alone on that thought!

How's the quality?

I've been looking at alot of their products and seeing as they have the same throwing knives used in CoD MW3, throwing knives from The Expendables and almost the same knife that Mama from Dredd 3D used I figured I'd add the gun to the order too and see if I could do it.

It's great quality for a cosplay prop, but as far as an actual prop gun, it's not that great. It's plastic and metal, the cylinder doesn't revolve unless you turn it, there's a big MADE IN CHINA in the engraving on the cylinder (I think, I know there's something there), and the handles are plastic as well.

Basically, it's an overgrown non functioning cap gun made of plastic.

BUT!

It's still pretty awesome. I don't regret buying it when I did. I got it as a dust collector, and frankly it does the job pretty well. It sits there, looking all shooty, without me having to worry much about it.

One day I'll tackle the whole repaint, resculpting idea I had going for it, but as a background piece it's great.

Chris

Thanks for the review!

So it sounds like modding it will be even easier seeing as it's mostly plastic? No vice or grinder needed, just a mask and a Dremel should do the trick. Maybe a generous helping of epoxy sculpt or something of that sort.

A dremel, a mask, some safety goggles, some talent and time, and buddy you will have yourself a pretty nifty looking colt-ish pistol :)

The one upgrade I'd really recommend for it is new handles. The plastic ones just are this weird turd brown color.

That being said, still a spiffy piece. I think I have a pic of it in my collection before I started moving a ton of crap around. I'll dig it up and post it.

Chris

Oh COME ON!!!! How could you NOT buy that for $23.99!?!?! Seems to be a great starting point for a SN Colt. Yeah, yeah, it's not a Paterson, but it could be awfully close. I might just buy one for fun.

Ah hah!

Not the greatest pic, but hey, it's something.

Chris

Thanks for the pic, you're right on about that grip lol.

Oh COME ON!!!! How could you NOT buy that for $23.99!?!?! Seems to be a great starting point for a SN Colt. Yeah, yeah, it's not a Paterson, but it could be awfully close. I might just buy one for fun.

My point exactly, not totally accurate but close enough for a decent display piece.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back