Galileo Restoration Update

Linnear

I have updated the Facebook page and website with a ton of photos Adam took in February, and over the next week I will be getting the March photos up. Being that Adam lives so close to the boat builder restoring Galileo, he gets down there every few days to take photos of the progress. We also did a video with Galileo shuttle builder Gene Winfield that should be up soon.

Facebook:

https://www.facebook...ileoRestoration

Website

Galileo Restoration | Help us save the Galileo Shuttlecraft

Alec

galileo-2-26-13-1.jpg

galileo-2-26-13-10.jpg

Wondering if they are going to fiberglass her like the boats. At least that is what they used to use. Today they could be using some other type of outer shell material for all I know. Wonder if they are going to do the interior too.

Was "any" of the original wood salvageable?

It looks like everything is new except for the frame. Looks great, just curious how much is original at this point.

-Rylo

Was "any" of the original wood salvageable?

It looks like everything is new except for the frame. Looks great, just curious how much is original at this point.

-Rylo

From what I can gather none of it was salvaged sadly. It becomes the age old question, if you repair a boat piece by piece until none of the original parts remain is it still the original or is it a copy?

Then, if you took all the old pieces that you discarded and built a new boat would THAT be the original? :confused

While this is great to see being done, I'd be interested to see someone tackle a 1:1 build that would allow the interior to be fully realised. Or even in CG to gauge just how big it would have to be.

The frame is 100% intact, as are all the metal components, the Nacelles and the landing strut. The wood had all been saved, but none was reusable.

Alec

Not a big TOS fan, but this is really nice to see.

From what I can gather none of it was salvaged sadly. It becomes the age old question, if you repair a boat piece by piece until none of the original parts remain is it still the original or is it a copy?

"This is George Washington's axe. I replaced the handle. And the head. But it occupies the same space." (Steven Wright, maybe?)

Looking great buddy! I can only imagine of the amount of work you've out into this and the amount that's left. This would have to be a true labor of love and take truly passionate ppl or a solid pay check for a group of ppl to even consider. Congrats and looking forward to seeing the updates!! :)

How was the all the wood saved when it was not saved during the first attempt at a resto? You mean the 2nd gen wood was saved, but not used.

Some things like cars or planes it is ok to call it restored when you do some bodywork, but this was used for it's body b/c it is not functional.

What can be seen now that was seen onscreen is the metal bits. What makes it clearly the shuttle is all gone.........facts are facts.

How was the all the wood saved when it was not saved during the first attempt at a resto? You mean the 2nd gen wood was saved, but not used.

Some things like cars or planes it is ok to call it restored when you do some bodywork, but this was used for it's body b/c it is not functional.

What can be seen now that was seen onscreen is the metal bits. What makes it clearly the shuttle is all gone.........facts are facts.

So what? Are you saying that this project is a waste of time and resources? I don't understand the point. These folks are doing a wonderful job with what they have to work with. Why bag on it and try to diminish this effort?

I didn't know about the wood replacement from the first redo, but as a thought ( if it is the original wood that has been replaced) .... what about mounting pieces of the wood from the original Galileo, adding a small plaque and selling hem to benefit the restoration project? I'd shell out for one!

I look at it like a classic musclecar.

The frame is there, the "engine" warp nacelles are there, the "suspension" landing gear is there. The numbers "match", that is they are the original parts. No interior was ever there so that doesn't matter. If you had to replace all the body panels on an old musclecar because of rust or it being rolled, it would still be considered a restoration in my view.

Bottom line a significant portion of what made up the mass that sat in the studio set is still there.

Great analogy! :thumbsup

The frame is there, the "engine" warp nacelles are there, the "suspension" landing gear is there. The numbers "match", that is they are the original parts. No interior was ever there so that doesn't matter. If you had to replace all the body panels on an old musclecar because of rust or it being rolled, it would still be considered a restoration in my view.

Bottom line a significant portion of what made up the mass that sat in the studio set is still there.

Spot on :thumbsup

It is subjective. Since there is only one it is special....unique......not like a '37 Cord that is worth $300K .... I've already done 5 of those and there are lots more out there to be done.

It is worth doing to pretty much all fans, but a resto would be using the same materials....how'd ya like a metal '53 Corvette because it would be "better" than the old style 'glass? It would not be a resto, but a partial replica.

The shuttle will end up looking about as it did onscreen, but I'm free to see it how I want.....as is anyone.

The original wood is pretty much gone......except the bits some collectors have :)
Not for sale.......

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back