About Selling in the Junkyard

Status
Not open for further replies.
A simple "No Thanks" is basic human common courtesy. If you think someone else is a an a$$, there's no need for you to repeat the behavior. My 2 cents.

Originally posted by imdocjoe@Dec 10 2005, 05:29 AM
A simple "No Thanks" is basic human common courtesy. If you think someone else is a an a$$, there's no need for you to repeat the behavior. My 2 cents.
[snapback]1132944[/snapback]​

On the surface I agree with this basic thought however......

As I have been frequently accused, and I am sure many people here will agree, sometimes I simply don't have anything "nice" or courteous to say.

So nothing seemed a better option.

Come on now....disagree with that.

You don't have to say anything nice, just "no thanks". That isn't a compliment, it's just letting them know you read the PM and they aren't getting the item.

If the keep on asking after that, as you feared, that is the time to ignore.

You certainly don't have to sell to anyone that you don't wish to, no one could argue that.

However, I've always believed in having not just the resolve to make a principled decision like that, but also the character to back it up.

If you were staight up enough to say to me for example that you didn't wish to sell the item because you didn't care for or approve of me as a person, I'd at least appreciate and respect your honesty.

To ignore the person and attempt to try and avoid the situation altogether is taking the easy way out, in my opinion. If you make a decision, you should always expect to have to deal with the results.

Just be honest, and you can't go wrong.

Shawn

I am new to the boards here, so this was interesting to read. I believe that the seller can sell to whomever he/she wants and also that some form of reply would be courteous.

For not having anything to say, this required a whole thread? If you have your confvictions, stick to them. Apparently you have doubt hence the whole calling of the court of public opinion.

Well...you're getting your answers. Seems most people don't have a problem with you not selling, but by not replying, well it was rude.

Mookie

To sell or not to sell... that is the question... :lol

Sell to who you want to, period. You game, your rules.

Now if someone said to me that someone else is really ticking them off. I'd say use the block function on your message center.
No mess, no fuss.......and no PM's.

Originally posted by Angina Pectoris@Dec 11 2005, 04:02 AM
Bad form not to reply at all.

Aren't we all adults?
[snapback]1133351[/snapback]​

Agreed on the bad form not to reply.
I think 'micdavis' may have a slight pang of guilt about this and is probably looking for reasurance on his actions hence starting this thread. I hope he gets what he is looking for but again that is totally his business :).

Agreed on the right to sell to who you want to and who you don't want to.

Final point a bit off topic but relevant to Angina Pectoris post please be very aware not everyone on this forum are adults. This has been discussed before and I still believe it is important to put an age limit on the Junkyard section of the forum. So remember when you are arguing away with someone they might be 12 years old :lol :lol

Cheers Chris.

Good point, Chris.

Originally posted by voice in the crowd+Dec 10 2005, 11:17 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(voice in the crowd @ Dec 10 2005, 11:17 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Angina Pectoris
@Dec 11 2005, 04:02 AM

Aren't we all adults?

Agreed on the bad form not to reply.
I think 'micdavis' may have a slight pang of guilt about this and is probably looking for reasurance on his actions hence starting this thread. I hope he gets what he is looking for but again that is totally his business :).

Agreed on the right to sell to who you want to and who you don't want to.

Final point a bit off topic but relevant to Angina Pectoris post please be very aware not everyone on this forum are adults. This has been discussed before and I still believe it is important to put an age limit on the Junkyard section of the forum. So remember when you are arguing away with someone they might be 12 years old :lol :lol

Cheers Chris.
[snapback]1133359[/snapback]​
[/b]

Originally posted by Angina Pectoris@Dec 10 2005, 11:02 PM

Aren't we all adults?

Well, no.

The RPF has many members who are not 18. This does and has created a problem with sales here over the years.

More to the point of no reply at all....

I agree, it doesn't take much effort to reply to anyones questions but if the seller has an unpleasant history with the would-be buyer; why bother?.

I wouldn't waste my time responding to someone who hit my radar in a negative fashion. Granted, there are not many in that group.

Having said that, I'm a little confused by the point of this post. If you don't want to sell to Munson, don't. Starting a thread about it makes it a bigger deal than it needs to be. It hardly punishes him and it certainly won't help you move your goods any faster.

I've sold to both of you guys for over half a decade and never had any trouble. I've also bumped heads with both of you at different times but we always end up on good terms.

You'd have to piss me off real good for me to refuse your cash. :p

Hope it all works out.

Rylo

Originally posted by Chest Rockwell+Dec 10 2005, 11:23 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Chest Rockwell @ Dec 10 2005, 11:23 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Angina Pectoris
@Dec 10 2005, 11:02 PM

but if the seller has an unpleasant history with the would-be buyer; why bother?.

[/b]

If that were the case, I'd agree. But it would appear that the initial poster didn't like the cut of this fellow's jib.

Hardly an excuse to be rude.

Eh. wot?

Originally posted by Chest Rockwell@Dec 11 2005, 04:23 AM
More to the point of no reply at all....
I agree, it doesn't take much effort to reply to anyones questions but if the seller has an unpleasant history with the would-be buyer; why bother?.

Good point Chest Rockwell but if the two people have such an unpleasant relationship isn't it a bit weird that the would be buyer then wants to buy from someone they don't like. I wouldn't buy from someone I do not like on principle (happily enough I like all the RPF people I have dealt with :) ).

I don't know either of the two guys or their history of interacting with each other but is it maybe the case that the would be buyer was unaware of the sellers feeling toward them? Or is it the case they couldn't care less and just wanted the item and was willing to comprimise their principles to get it?

Cheers Chris.

I think you're right.

As someone else pointed out. It seems the cut of ones Jib has rubbed the other wrong.

Sounds like personal business to me and hardly something for public debate. Keep your Jibs where they belong fellas.

I keed, I keed. B)

Originally posted by micdavis+Dec 10 2005, 05:08 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(micdavis @ Dec 10 2005, 05:08 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-imdocjoe
@Dec 10 2005, 05:29 AM
[snapback]1132944[/snapback]​

On the surface I agree with this basic thought however......

As I have been frequently accused, and I am sure many people here will agree, sometimes I simply don't have anything "nice" or courteous to say.

So nothing seemed a better option.

Come on now....disagree with that.
[snapback]1133014[/snapback]​
[/b]

Wow MIC. You refuse to answer him because of his posting style yet you'll post such a childish, snarky comment as that? Grow up. All you had to do was reply openly and honestly and say "No thanks, your offers will not be entertained or replied to" Instead you chose to go with this passive aggressive thread and present this simple situation as some great moral and ethical dilemma. Cheesy Mic, Really Cheesy.

Mike,

It's a shame you took a dislike to Pete, because in my time here I've found him to be among a select few with unquestionable character and integrity. In fact, by PMing you with his original request, he was in essence paying you a compliment by implying he knew you to be above-board and honorable in your RPF dealings. He also probably had no clue what your feelings were toward him, which is why I can sympathize with his reaction.

If there's anything to learn from this thread, it's that even if you have nothing good to say about a person or to him, courtesy never killed anyone. Yet.

So Mike, if you believe in Karma, I think it would be a wonderfully karmic gesture to apologize to Pete. I'm sure Pete would be gracious and accept, and the RPF always loves it when a disagreement or dispute ends happily.

As dysfunctional as this place is sometimes, I still think of all of us as a big family... :)

- Gabe

Hey, now, I didn't do anything to Pete, I didn't even know is name was Pete.

I just didn't think he needed to send me whiney PMs or post one in my sales thread.

That's really all there was to this. There really isn't any disagreement at all.

I jsut asked for an opinion, I got some and others decided to blow it out of proportion. Typical for this place.

I guess my up bringing was wrong.

If you don't have anything nice to say, make sure you say it at the RPF.

I'll remember that now.

It seems a little silly to open a thread for opinions and then get all hissy when you don't like the opinions that are expressed.

You missed an opportunity to say thanks to people for their honesty and you now have something to think about.

But, nope.

You stamp your feet, and cry unfair.

Maybe Pete is lucky not to do business with you.

This thread has served it's stated purpose. micadavis asked a question, and he's received some feedback. What he does with it is up to him.

If micdavis and DK have a personal issue to settle, they should handle it privately. The rest of us should just "move along".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back