About Selling in the Junkyard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Funky Jedi@Dec 9 2005, 02:29 PM
If you would have, possibly saying "No, thanks." the person MIGHT have said "Huh?  But why???" (at least I would have) only opening up a line of dialogue that you didn't want. 
[snapback]1132557[/snapback]​

Exactly my position.

His actions and reactions have put me off to the point I wanted no dialogue.

And I will point out again, he outed himself. This thread could have been a simple question and opinion thread.

Originally posted by micdavis@Dec 9 2005, 06:42 PM
Exactly my position.

His actions and reactions have put me off to the point I wanted no dialogue.

And I will point out again, he outed himself.  This thread could have been a simple question and opinion thread.
[snapback]1132573[/snapback]​

Yep... but like most things here on the RPF it wasn't that simple. :D

Sometimes the lack of a response sends a much louder message.

Sell to who you want to or not want to, or ignore anyone you want to.

One is neither obligated to sell, or to dialog...unless he's accepted money, of course. :)

I've approached people - well, okay...one person - privately offering to buy something and have been ignored. Of course, my offer indicated the person was free to ignore me.

Funny thing is, the very thing I was willing to pay for was given to me freely within several hours, with 2 other complimentary offers, to boot.

If there's a point, I guess it's simply that you reap what you sew. And you never know who you may want to reap from in the future. That, and courtesy is never really free. :D

Me, I'm a big believer in embarassing people in public, and making them look like fools. (I do it to myself all the time)

So, personally, I would have just started a thread to draw attention to the guy, and hope that he posts in the thread, therefore revealing to everyone that he just got the shaft in private... and now it's public.

But that's just me.

In the final analysis, again, you're entitled to ignore or sell to anyone you want. While it might suck to be ignored, the ignoree has no RIGHT to be acknowledged. You're not ENTITLED to a reply PM. It might be nice if you're the dude waiting, but there's nothing to say mikey MUST reply.

PS, i will never sell to MicDavis from now on, since his posting style offends me. And his avatars always suck. I never understand them. I will reply to his PMs though, if only to remind him that I am no longer selling to him.........

:p

Entirely your prerogative,but in my opinion one persons money is just as green as the next....I'd never let my personal feelings get in the way of busines. And since you're selling something it's a business transaction. It's not like there's government top secret national security at stake....or is there? ;)

2 cents you asked

Steve

Originally posted by DL 44 Blaster@Dec 10 2005, 12:06 AM
Entirely your prerogative,but in my opinion one persons money is just as green as the next....I'd never let my personal feelings get in the way of busines. And since you're selling something it's a business transaction. It's not like there's government top secret national security at stake....or is there? ;)

2 cents  you asked

Steve
[snapback]1132650[/snapback]​

oooh, now there's a controversial opinion. i'm sure that'll get a couple people chiming in. heck, i'll start. I happen to disagree, with full respect, of course.

There's plenty of people I won't sell to. For example, if someone rips me off in one transaction, i sure as heck aren't going to take their money for another... even if it's just as green. i think politics and history plays a BIG part in selling decisions. Money is NOT just as green in my mind.

Mic, if everyone posted that yes, you should have contacted him, would that have changed your mind?

Originally posted by MattMunson+Dec 9 2005, 07:14 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MattMunson @ Dec 9 2005, 07:14 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-DL 44 Blaster
@Dec 10 2005, 12:06 AM

2 cents  you asked

Steve
[snapback]1132650[/snapback]​

oooh, now there's a controversial opinion. i'm sure that'll get a couple people chiming in. heck, i'll start. I happen to disagree, with full respect, of course.

There's plenty of people I won't sell to. For example, if someone rips me off in one transaction, i sure as heck aren't going to take their money for another... even if it's just as green. i think politics and history plays a BIG part in selling decisions. Money is NOT just as green in my mind.
[snapback]1132656[/snapback]​
[/b]

I guess I didn't count on being ripped off and still having transactions with the same person....that would change things a tad. :$

I personally have had nothing but good transactions in the 6 years I've been 'round RPF,so I hadn't really even thought about that possibility. Yes bad blood between folks would definitely be a case in which further communication would be severed....which apparently is what all of this is about..... :D If that WERE the case,why would one want to have a financial transaction with said indivdual for fear of further retribution? :confused

The original thread description led me to believe there was a mere personality conflict....petty in my opinion and certainly not one to inhibit me from selling. The seller has the buyers money,so there is a certain faith that must take place anyhow,so there should be at least some mutual respect or a financial transaction is a recipie for disaster.

Best,
Steve

Agreed Steve. you da man.

Keep in mind, MicDavis is nuts. :p

(Ps, for the uninitiated, I consider mike a pal. So this online ribbing is all in fun. Sadly, he wont' respond to my PMs anymore. Was it something I said????? )

Here's my take on it.

I sell to who I want, when and how I want. I've become selective over the last year or so. I've gone as far as to only offer some runs by invitation only.

It makes for so much less confusion but hey, that's just my thing since I'm inching my way out of prop making.

Why make trouble for yourself by doing business with someone that rubs you wrong?

I respond to 99% of the interest PMs and emails from the RPF as a matter of courtesy but it's difficult when that certain someone just doesn't get it. There are a couple that I must admit would get no reply at all. Call it a character flaw on my part. :angel

Do business with whom you want.

Rylo

Just simply post a note on your Junkyard threads:
"I reserve the right to refuse service or sales to anyone"

Yeah, I say sell to who you want.

I usually say "No shirt, no shoes, no service". That rules me selling to Munson out, too. :lol

Since the dead horse is being beaten, I'll take a lick. You have no responsibility to sell to anyone you do not wish. However you did offer the product publicly in the Junk Yard without any exceptions. You gotta know by now that this will, in fact has lead to an unwanted offer. You did'nt want to deal with this person for what ever reasons. That's is your perogative but if you are going to be selective in the future you might consider a private offering.

As it is, many folks privy to this sale might not bother to respond to your future offerings in the Junk Yard thinking that you will most likely blow them off for some other buyer whom you know better. If you are that selective, why offer the item publicly in the first place?

With all that I've said, I understand that transactions that take place through a forum such as this require much trust since often that's all we have other than a persons 'online personna'. Hell, if I don't trust you I'm not gonna take your money much less give you money.

I'll put down the stick now. :)

The logical thing would be to quote this guy a higher price or higher shipping costs to help justify your extra effort/concerns in dealing with him. Or state you don't wish your product copied and resold and to compensate for this risk you would have to charge him a higher price.

Then again if the person is going to be a real hassle and you know it, just say you choose not to do business with him. This should be a last resort though.

It's more than clear that it is entirely your choice who you decide to sell the item just as it is your choice to not sell the item if you do not find a suitable prospective buyer. What makes a buyer "suitable" is entirely up to you. For example, if I were selling a Darth Vader helmet, I would want rather the helmet go to someone who I know will appreciate and take care of it rather than someone who gives me the highest offer and who at the same time I am not entirely convinced is a true enthusiast of Vader. Unless you're selling something that requires a contract, you choose the terms. If one of the terms is that the person be polite and reasonable, then that is entirely your perogative.

Now onto the question of whether or not to answer. Yes I agree with those that have said here that answering would have been the better route...to let the person know that you are not interested in their offer. However, if you are uncomfortable communicating with that person who is essentially a stranger, then IMHO is understandable if you would rather not reply. Let's say you say "No thanks" and he comes back with another offer or asks why? Where do you draw the line? People that are pushy often come back again and again and never quit....so it is best just not to start with the person otherwise it's a waste of your time and in fairness a waste of their time because no matter what they say you'll still not be comfortable dealing with that potential buyer for whatever reason...and you never have to give a reason because it is your personal business, not theirs. Sometimes you have to trust your instincts and yours told you not to reply. For these reasons I believe that you made the right decision.

:cheers,

T

Originally posted by MattMunson@Dec 9 2005, 11:33 PM
Me, I'm a big believer in embarassing people in public, and making them look like fools. (I do it to myself all the time)

PS, i will never sell to MicDavis from now on, since his posting style offends me. And his avatars always suck. I never understand them. I will reply to his PMs though, if only to remind him that I am no longer selling to him.........

:p
[snapback]1132623[/snapback]​

:lol

*****, I forgot what the topic was about after reading Matt's post...

I agree, its totally up to you to sell to whomever you want, for WHATEVER price you want. . :) Couldn't resist a little thread crossover. But I think its apt enough to include.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back