Unknown movie/TV show 1980 prop New York press license plate

Triborough

This prop 1980 prop New York press license plate is from an unknown movie/TV show. It has Quadrophenia written on the back, but that makes no sense.
It is made out of fiberboard and hand painted and is a very specific type of New York license plate which makes me wonder if it was on a hero car. An help on an ID of where it came from?

3AGl9wr.jpg

Here is a real one for comparison.
95x19jW.jpg

Online sources contend that the designation is for members of the Press. I think it is unusual for reporters in films to be seen driving company vehicles rather than en mass on the courthouse steps. A small clue, but possibly something to go on. I would think TV production more than film due to the flat contour.

rs

Online sources contend that the designation is for members of the Press. I think it is unusual for reporters in films to be seen driving company vehicles rather than en mass on the courthouse steps. A small clue, but possibly something to go on. I would think TV production more than film due to the flat contour.

rs

Thanks.
I do know what that type of plate is, as I have NYP plates on my car. They can be issued to both company and personal vehicles.

I still can't imagine what sort of production would need something like that, perhaps something about the news media?

It also seems to be of the right sort of materiel for the era, as I have a few other prop plates made out of similar fiberboard. So I don't think it is of more recent vintage.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back