Book of Eli VFX machete handle

Art Andrews

Community Owner
Community Staff
While it was a huge pain to get this (again, thanks, Gene!), I am pretty darn happy to have it in my possession!

I helped with the pattern for Miketribal's replica, which was a modified version of Ghostsolider's pattern a few years ago and was very pleased with the result. Now that I have an original in hand... wow... were we ever off! The overall design is good and the overall length is good, but some of our proportions are off by a considerable margin!

Here is the original handle as well as a comparison to Mike's replica. While I can't make Mike's replica match the original precisely, I am definitely cutting it down to match as closely as possible. You can already see where I have been marking out lines...

Another thing to note. Mike's machetes were 3/16" thick, which I thought was extremely thick. However, the original is 1/4" thick!

Also, I am considering peeling the wrap off the handle to see, once and for all, what it is (I believe it is leather), but I can tell you for sure that the black twine material is synthetic deer sinew, like this:

Simulated Sinew - Black (4 oz Spool) | Artificial Sinew, Sinew | Crazy Crow Trading Post

View attachment 150268

View attachment 150269

View attachment 150270

Beautiful, Art...I'm glad you got it, and can make some one-on-one, hands-on comparisons. :thumbsup

I'll admit my pattern was made primarily using scaled screen-captures, and some pics from the original screen-used props...and we all know how "scaled dimensions" can be. :wacko

I'm looking forward to being able to update my pattern, once I can assimilate the data you've provided.

Rob

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back