Sylgian's 40K Space Marine [Completed!]

Re: Sylgian's 40K Space Marine [WIP]

My webbing came in, as did my second shipment of foam. I have been diligently working on the rigging of the thighs and cod and am glad to say I have made some progress.

I made myself a pair of suspenders and added an internal skeleton to each thigh to strengthen as well as provide mounting points. So far its working really well. I am optimistic about doing some walking tests this weekend with the whole bottom half mocked up.

(P.S.- I realize many of my pictures links are not working. This is probably because the RPF is down for maintenance. If it does not work once the RPF comes back up I will fix.)

IMG_20130417_210952.jpg

IMG_20130418_201023.jpg

IMG_20130418_184042.jpg

IMG_20130418_201057.jpg

IMG_20130418_223906.jpg

thighs.jpg

Oh my how pretty a build! How did you go about attaching the skeleton to your cod? And what is your expected finish time for this beast?

Hi
I love what you have done so far with this build
Do you mind giving me a link to the templates or pep files you are using

After the initial testing of the lower half of the costume I decided the knee joint needed revisiting. The first mock up i did just used a few nylon straps between the thigh and the shin. This let the shins wobble around too much.

I designed and 3D printed a simple rigid joint to replace the straps. It attaches to the PVC skeletons that are built inside the foam armor.Now the shin and thigh are hard mounted to each other and can only bend in one direction. It works really well! It looks much more solid now.

VIDEO LINK: Walking Test #2

Here are some images of the joint itself. There is one on either side my knee.

IMG_20130421_023808.jpg

IMG_20130421_023829.jpg

IMG_20130421_024234.jpg

Last edited:

Do you think that a Space Marine armor is a good idea for a first foam armor build
It doesn't seem like the hardest thing to do but it looks like it may take a lot of time
Plz give me some feedback

Hi
I love what you have done so far with this build
Do you mind giving me a link to the templates or pep files you are using

I am using a combination of a few peoples files and modifying some for myself as well. Look for Shiney's pep files as well as Henrick's files over on Obscuruscrusade.com. Also a good source are the files found here: http://www.therpf.com/f24/foam-speed-building-filesntricks-multi-hero-cowl-added-148889/

Do you think that a Space Marine armor is a good idea for a first foam armor build
It doesn't seem like the hardest thing to do but it looks like it may take a lot of time
Plz give me some feedback

I'm not sure I'd be the best person to ask. This is my first foam build, and second build ever. I am just taking things they come. This costume is certainly a large undertaking. It is rather expensive, does not fit through doors, and the silts are cumbersome. If you looking for a casual build this might not be the best one.

Thanks for the feedback
As awesome as the space marines look, they may not be the best build for a beginner like me
With the large amount of iron man pep files on my computer, and a whole lot of other ideas in my head, I pretty sure I can live without a Space Marine build

After making several harness's, you may want to consider making the straps that go over your shoulder wider and or with some padding. Because after a while they will most certainly dig into your shoulders. Look for seat belt material, or go to the thrift store and find a used back pack or something of that sort.

just sayin ;)

After making several harness's, you may want to consider making the straps that go over your shoulder wider and or with some padding. Because after a while they will most certainly dig into your shoulders. Look for seat belt material, or go to the thrift store and find a used back pack or something of that sort.

just sayin ;)

Yeah. That's a good suggestion. I may go back and add a pad to the shoulder of each suspender after the larger hurdles are cleared. I will have plenty of extra foam pieces.They are functional for now, but I can imagine they might be uncomfortable after a while.

Still plugging away. Both shoulders got glued together today and a few gifts arrived. I'm taking a play from Henrick's book and using non-insulated air duct for my leg joints.

The shoulders are pretty floppy as they are. I will have to add something rigid to keep the shape. The PEX tube isn't a good option so it is likely that I will do something similar to what Hasenbrau did, making arches cut out of wood to attach to the open ends of the shoulder and hold the shape

IMG_20130419_211235.jpg

IMG_20130424_232219.jpg

IMG_20130424_082912.jpg

Last edited:

what files did you used for the shoulders?? Looks good , but easy to do... Mine are very difficult..too many parts..
And when you " cut" the glasses to fit them inside the helmet, will you post pics???
Good work!!

Awesome work my friend :) im thinking this might have to be my next project :D quick question regards sizing because you are using stilts how did you go about sizing the suit obviously you would need longer legs but to get the arms and body in proportion to the legs wouldn't they be massively to big ? thanks in advance

what files did you used for the shoulders?? Looks good , but easy to do... Mine are very difficult..too many parts..
And when you " cut" the glasses to fit them inside the helmet, will you post pics???
Good work!!

This will be much farther down the road, but I will certainly have photos of the GloSpex install when the time comes.
The shoulder file I pulled from the ones available here :
http://www.therpf.com/f24/foam-speed-building-filesntricks-multi-hero-cowl-added-148889/

Awesome work my friend :) im thinking this might have to be my next project :D quick question regards sizing because you are using stilts how did you go about sizing the suit obviously you would need longer legs but to get the arms and body in proportion to the legs wouldn't they be massively to big ? thanks in advance

I am using a 935 scale for my pep files. So there will be a bit of a compromise happening in the arms. For it to be in the correct proportions, I would have to use arm extensions. I have gone back and forth on this. At this point I am leaning toward just using a short arm and hockey glove, and living with the arms being a bit short. The alternative is not being able to manipulate anything with my hands and as I intend to make some weapons, I would rather be able to grip them than hard mount them to arm extensions.

Going by your belt I suppose you decided on Ultramarines, but FEAR NOT, it is not too late to change! I suggest Salamanders, they're rarely done in costumes, have tons of colour and character, and get to carry bad ass warhammers and flamethrowers.

img4aa4798f482cc.jpg

They're similar to Space Wolves with the extra bits, except with lots of scaly skin and fire motifs. Make sure you undercoat with white first to get the nice bright green. My personal minis are all based in white and I've been told I have the best green people have seen on marines. Warhammer by Gibbtall on deviantART

I looked into the Salamanders as well. But I really want to take off my helmet sometimes... and from what I read, I would need dark black skin and orange eyes to be cannon. If anything I should be space wolves so my beard would look right. LOL. Hate the fur and animal bones though.

I think the Ultra hate will be mostly squashed when The costume is 7ft tall and walking around. So long as its done well. I really just want it to be identifiable to Warhammer fans and layman alike.

Last edited:

ahh
those files are the same Im working with.. So you have not finished the shoulder.. I think those files are hard to make...
But of course, you are making a very good work..
Regards!

Ya. I still need to add the trim. This and the shoulder reinforcement should be what I work on tonight.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back