Sylgian's 40K Space Marine [Completed!]

Re: Sylgian's 40K Space Marine [WIP]

The Epsilon is here! I am eager to try it out, but need to wait until I have more than just a few hours in the evening to test it. I will have to wait until the weekend before I can get around to testing it. This isnt a huge deal considering how much foam I have to cut and assemble in the mean time.

Tonight I added some detail to the back of the boots, traced my templates out for the shins, and completed the left shin and knee. I elected to mount the knee pad forward a little bit. Its hard to say what is accurate considering our reference material is 20mm tall, or comes in the form of various pencil drawings by Games Workshop artists. Other costumes I have seen mount the knees flush, I just thought having the lip looked more interesting.

Pics are below. More updates forthcoming.

IMG_20130403_172209.jpg

IMG_20130403_195323.jpg

IMG_20130403_205231.jpg

The Coke can is just for scale
IMG_20130403_224605.jpg

IMG_20130403_224637.jpg

Last edited:

those are looking awesome and the lines are sooo clean my order from smooth-on gets here tomorrow, cant wait to see what you think of the epsilon

I want to see how the epsilon works with this :)

I plan on doing some testing with the epsilon tomorrow. I will take pictures along the way and keep everyone posted on the results.

In other news, I have been plugging away at the foam construction. At present I have the legs fully built and the chest is mostly complete. I should have just enough foam to get the abs done as well.

I will be placing another foam order this week. With the chest complete I will be working on the rigging of the armor pieces. There will be some suspenders and many other mounting points to keep me busy while the foam is on its way.

Progress pics below. More to come soon.

IMG_20130404_232356.jpg

IMG_20130405_232012.jpg

IMG_20130405_232012.jpg

IMG_20130406_030247.jpg

IMG_20130406_163757.jpg

Last edited:

Epsilon test report #1

I skipped ahead and built an elbow in foam. It is the smallest piece I could build. It has a seam as well, I figured it would be beneficial to the test. Plus if it turns out well, I can use it.

Here is the piece all prepped. I hit the surface with the heat gun to minimize pores. You will see I have a small roller handy. I wanted to see what kind of finish this would yeild as the videos I have seen have used brushes and left brush strokes as a result.
IMG_20130407_141731.jpg

IMG_20130407_141907.jpg

This is the result of a light first coat done with the roller. It has a nice even coating, no strokes, but there is a fine texture to it from using the roller. For the record I kind of like the texture.
IMG_20130407_142952.jpg

IMG_20130407_142927.jpg

Once my first coat dried (gave it about 30 minutes) I decided to try out a brush application of the second coat. The Epsilon does self-level to some degree, but it will still have brush strokes when it dries. They aren't horrible if you're careful.

These are still wet.
IMG_20130407_163220.jpg

IMG_20130407_163042.jpg

And these are dry (again, about 30 minutes later)
IMG_20130407_173529.jpg

IMG_20130407_173555.jpg

As I understand it, the Epsilon will take a few days to fully cure. As of the time I am writing this the piece is still flexible, and the coating bends extremely well. I have not REALLY bent it, but the coating does not wrinkle at all under moderate flexing.

I believe it will work very nicely. It hides seams well, with no need to caulk them. Also it provides a sandable surface for paint. This is a big improvement over the PVA glue method IMO, and should prove more durable.

I will probably use a brush for my first coat in the future, and finish will a roller coat. I like the texture of the roller better than the brush strokes. I will still sand the surface too, so the texture will be lessened.

I will update you again once everything hardens completely. HOPE THIS HELPS!!!

Last edited:

Awesome I'm glad its working well,.. soon I'm going to be starting my Friends Apothecary foam build so we'll probably use this on his

hi!!
No PVA before the epsilon????

Regards!

No PVA or sealing whatsoever. The only prep was a light blast from the heat gun, I doubt this was even necessary. The epsilon goes directly onto the foam.

Last edited:

The brush strokes arent that bad, i bet painted they look good, the bad brush strokes are the thin ones, that look like lines, but those brush strokes look thick you cant see the brush lines in them, so i think its good, plus if youre not happy you can sand it a lil right?

The Epsilon can be sanded. So if the lines are that bad I would suggest using 220 grit to remove some of the lines then maybe 300 to smooth it out

Wow, really ambitious build, and it's looking great already! I'm looking forward to seeing how the epsilon behaves after it has fully hardened.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back