Sylgian's 40K Space Marine [Completed!]

Re: Sylgian's 40K Space Marine [WIP]

I am having a VERY hard time picking which chapter I want my costume to be. I would like to do a prolific chapter, but doing something outside of what contemporaries have done is also very appealing. I fear being derivative with so many options available.

I have a few favorites (in no particular order):
1. Space Wolves are neat. I love the color scheme, but I HATE all the fur and animal skull crap. It looks very barbarian. I guess I could ignore it?
m500495a_99120101078_SpaceWolvesPackMain1_445x319.jpg

2. Dark Angels I like, but the monastic culture isn't really my speed and thorssoli did this chapter recently.
SM-Dark-Angel-Combat-Squad_3.jpg

3. Blood Angels look great and I like their lore, but you can see Henrick's amazing version in my first post. If I were to play, this would probably be my chapter.
4qpyk5.jpg

4. And finally... The quintessential Ultramarines. They might be a touch generic, but that means its also identifiable. So, its good and bad. I must admit they have a very nice look to them, with all the gilt and such. They are a strong contender in my mind.
tactical_first_marine_front.jpg

HELP ME CHOOSE!!!! Feel free to give suggestions and opinions.

Last edited:

I totally get what you mean, with that much surface area it's easy for it to look boring or undetailed.

The actual armor is supposed to be unpainted, hence the "grey". But they're also supposed to be covered head to toe in purity seals and other bling since they are literally the Inquisition's personal chapter. I've actually mused doing a female Inquisitor and a Grey Knight with a friend of mine, but that's on my "some day..." list.

If you want crowd appeal (and I totally do not blame you) you should do an Ultramarine. The Space Marine game from 2011 put 40k kind of in the spotlight and everyone recognizes a Titus.

Time to work on a strapping system for the stilts. I went to the store and picked up some nylon webbing, glue and some foam letters I intend to use on the armor.
IMG_20130324_005811.jpg

Step one, print up some bits.

Tri-glides and some rails to mount the straps with.
IMG_20130323_194201.jpg

Heel Plates
IMG_20130324_013403.jpg

Step two, stitch on a bunch of velcro, mount and enjoy!
IMG_20130324_020257.jpg

Last edited:

It's finally here!!! FOAM! I hate waiting, but at long last I can get to building something.

I compared this to some EVA floor mats I had. It is extremely similar in almost every way I could see/feel. The only difference I could find was that the EVA mat was just a tiny bit more dense. I think its going to work just fine.

Construction beings this weekend. Very excited.
IMG_20130327_172417.jpg

IMG_20130327_172350.jpg

Last edited:

How its going?
I think the space marines are growing on me, lol
I feel like building one ;)

Did some paint tests on the material. The density of the foam I have is certainly less than that of the EVA mats I had on hand. This makes it more flexible, and from what I can tell it will tear easier. Thankfully I don't think that it will be an issue. The good news is the finishes I achieved on my sample chips were nearly identical.

Material+Test.jpg

Last edited:

And some build progress. I must say the hot glue/foam was harder to accomplish than I initially anticipated. Getting clean seams is a challenge. I will be filling the seams with latex caulk before painting, but I still need to maintain a high level of craftsmanship, if only for personal pride.

TEMPLATES!
IMG_20130329_013230.jpg

IMG_20130329_165229.jpg

I also found making bevels to be very troublesome with only a razor. I sanded these down to make them even. I may invest in a cheap hot knife to make this easier.
IMG_20130329_221946.jpg

Assemble! WARNING: painters tape was not friendly to the surface of the foam. I had to stick it to my shirt to de-tack it some in order not to mess us the surface of my foam.
IMG_20130330_035016.jpg

IMG_20130329_180728.jpg

The stilt I just set inside to test it out. Looking good though.
IMG_20130330_180407.jpg

I had to modify my pep templates quite a bit while I worked. I expect the second boot to go a bit quicker. Hopefully my technique will improve as well. By the time i get to the chest/head my hope is that my glue seams will be much improved.

Last edited:

Looking good
I dont have any files
But im gonna give it a go, probably sculpt the helmet and some parts, but ill be lookingbon gphe net to see what i can find
I even bought the space marines game :)
Keep em coming bro :)

The second boot is done. It went a little bit easier than the first. The stilts are not mounted yet either, but its progress. I will be starting on the shins tonight. The templates are printing out as I type this. More pics to come.

I still have concerns over the finishing. Mainly in regard to the seams. I understand that they get a bit of latex caulk laid down to hide them, but I still fear I wont be happy with the results. We shall see.

IMG_20130331_194205.jpg

IMG_20130331_194059.jpg

Last edited:

I've heard good things about Smooth-On's Epsilon
EPSILON® EPS Foam Coating Epoxy | Reynolds Advanced Materials
it'll seal the foam good for painting,.... harden it while still remaining somewhat flexible
and it smooths away seams, look up booksandcorsets here she talks about it

Interest piqued! Ill be reading up on this today. Thanks very much for the info, I was not aware of this product.

Turns out I have a local vendor for this lovely Eplsilon product Amancue was so nice to turn me on to. I will have the smaller test amount in my hands tomorrow. I am very excited about giving it a try. Hopefully it will be the solution I am looking for.

In other news, I did a test of the stilts a while back here is a link to the video: http://youtu.be/SpelhebVZAk

I also added these details to the toes. I will be further refining the boots with more detail pieces and cutting out the shins tonight or tomorrow.

IMG_20130402_175735.jpg

IMG_20130402_184623.jpg

Last edited:

I´ll love to see the results of the epsilon on your costume.. Nice work on your feet!

Keep us updated!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back