Brisbane Australia social & community 2013 subscribe to this thread!

So anyone going to Gold Coast Supanova? We (the missus & I) were thinking of going one day. Maybe the Sunday, a prop I assisted with will be in the cospaly comp I believe. But ultimately it'll come down to what panels/Q&A's we want to see.

And the next BIG one after that is PAX Aus. Anyone else headed off to Melbourne in July?

Hi all, Mark from Cairns here.
Been friends with Joe(Juliet76) for about 10 years online 6 years in the real world, and have watched his work on weapons.
He's got mean skills.
Next time I get to Bris-Vegas, we should try to meet up for a chinwag.:cheers

Last edited:
Heya!

Wanted to get some prop makers opinions about crafting a cops lay broadsword for my game of thrones outfit. My first impulse is to get the general shape of it out of card stock. Then make a rod frame that would be the outside edges and tang of the blade. Once it is nicely laid out, start with the fibreglass sheets. Sand like hell and I got a broadsword blade. Easier ways? Better ways? Let me know.

Rue

Hi all, Mark from Cairns here.
Been friends with Joe(Juliet76) for about 10 years online 6 years in the real world, and have watched his work on weapons.
He's got mean skills.
Next time I get to Bris-Vegas, we should try to meet up for a chinwag.:cheers

If that emoticon means that the chinwag has beer involved I'm definately in! Thanks for the compliment too mate. ;)

Heya!

Wanted to get some prop makers opinions about crafting a cops lay broadsword for my game of thrones outfit. My first impulse is to get the general shape of it out of card stock. Then make a rod frame that would be the outside edges and tang of the blade. Once it is nicely laid out, start with the fibreglass sheets. Sand like hell and I got a broadsword blade. Easier ways? Better ways? Let me know.

Rue

I'm not really familiar with the card stock and fibreglass techniques although I have seen some people create amazing props and armour this way. I'd be more inclinded to use MDF or plyboard honestly, but that's only because that's what I know.

Here's a thread on a build I did for a bowie knife from Halo 3: ODST to give you an idea of how I'd go about it-

http://www.therpf.com/f9/halo-3-odst-bucks-bowie-knife-180388/

If you'd be willing to pay someone else to do it I'd love to have a look at it for you. I definately want to have a crack at making a sword at some point! :D

Hey there !

Martin here, I'm based on the Bayside and troop with the local 501st group.

Love making props (well having a go at making 'em ;) ) and making costumes.

I'll be at Goldcoast Nova in my Chewie and stomping around in my Chaos Spacemarine.

Hi Martin
Pez here - you are a talented young man when it comes to props. I hope you will be stomping around in Chewie at DreamWorld 4/5th of May in th trash compactor!

Anyway I just recently joined here to learn more about "foam" work and other prop making ideas from these great bunch of people.

By the way your SPACEMARINE is amazing!

Holy crap, Juliet! That Bowie knife rocks! I'd be interested in your thoughts about making a broadsword stylistically similar to that about 100 cm blade tip to hilt (not sure how long the tang would have to be) . PM me a cost estimate, and if fairly reasonable I would be very interested! The knife looks great!

Rue

Holy crap, Juliet! That Bowie knife rocks! I'd be interested in your thoughts about making a broadsword stylistically similar to that about 100 cm blade tip to hilt (not sure how long the tang would have to be) . PM me a cost estimate, and if fairly reasonable I would be very interested! The knife looks great!

Rue

Sent you a PM Rue with a couple of questions.

So, getting back to the OP's idea is anyone going to any of the upcoming cons? Or as Bodie27 mentioned is anyone interested in catching up to talk props? I know he and I have already caught up talking about his blasters, turns out we only live 5mins from each other.

Yeah we're still up in the air about the Gold Coast, we have a wedding we have to go away to the next weekend, so funds are tight.

Anyone going to PAX Aus?

Here are some pics of a broadsword I like, so it is something like this...
image-6.jpg

Although the sword in the show that Theon uses has a fuller?

http://i1256.photobucket.com/albums/ii496/Benedain/image-7.jpg

Maybe more like this blade? Not the hilt definitely, and minus the strange uncut near the guard.

http://i1256.photobucket.com/albums/ii496/Benedain/image-8.jpg

So whatcha think Juliet?

Rue

Don't forget after SupaNova comes Star Wars DreamWorld on the 4th and 5th of May.
LR-Globe-197x300.jpg

This will be the fourth year this event will be held at Dreamworld. Each year this is getting bigger and better. For those of you that have been to any this event will attest to the fantastic time and inter-Garrison fun we are all have at this event.

It is the largest event in the Southern Hemisphere and has many different mini-events over the weekend. Come and see Sith versus Jedi lightsaber duel Light Sabres sounds - YouTube. From the feeding of a 5.2m saltwater croc to Biker Scouts riding the Motocoaster roller coaster. New props, more photographic booth sets and new droids for this year!

DW2013 looks to have even more things happening so come one and come all to one absolutely amazing weekend that you just won't find anywhere else in the world.

Gotta say I've met a few of the 501st guys n girls and they're a great bunch and have been to a couple of prop making afternoons and was surrounded by a lot of talented friendly people. V inspiring!

Don't forget after SupaNova comes Star Wars DreamWorld on the 4th and 5th of May.
LR-Globe-197x300.jpg

This will be the fourth year this event will be held at Dreamworld.
I was there last year and must say, it was really cool to geek out at how well these guys have built up their rig. I think I will be working this time though :unsure

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back