The Hobbit - Erebor Dwarf Armour - FINISHED

Re: The Hobbit - Erabor Dwarf Armour - Foam Helmet

If you guys want to see some awesome concept art of the Dwarf armor(s), check out this blog:

In a Hole in the Ground

In a Hole in the Ground: Friday at the Mathom-House: Nick Keller

There's a few images of the armor designed by Nick Keller. Good stuff.

Rob

Thanks for those links! I can certainly always use more hi-res reference. I've updated my pile of reference with them as well.

As for updates, I've been pretty busy so I haven't done much recently, but I've got the last embellishments for the helmet printed, just need to sit down and cut them out. I've got my Liquid Electrical Tape as well, should grab some adhesive promoter and look in to paints as well. The super-happy-candy-helm will soon be sexy black. I also slapped together the large pieces of the chest plate, I'm not sure if it's working out well yet, need to get it to really be in the right form before I know if it's in the right direction.

This is sick man!! Love your craft foam detailing. Definitely watching this space.

This was in the latest blog from Peter Jackson. Hope it is of use.

PJ_Vlog_11.png

Re: The Hobbit - Erebor Dwarf Armour - Foam Helmet

And we're back! I finally got back to it. I decided to ignore the tiny bits of detail around the trim, I felt like it was just going to get lost in the painting process so I didn't even bother. I also forgot to do battle damage, but I suppose I can still do that if people think I really should?

Here is the helmet primed with Liquid Electrical Tape

2013-09-09+19.48.59.jpg

Also bonus beard progress.

2013-09-09+19.45.57.jpg

And here it is after a couple coats of grey primer and then gold spray paint :D looks quite sexy no??

2013-09-10+00.00.59.jpg

I primed it with gold to match the kind of "bronzey-gold" I've decide the screen pieces are underneath all of that grime. I may be working a bit backwards, since it seems to be about 90% grime and 10% gold, buut w/e. Next step is to go at this beast with a billion coats of gross drab greens, blues and blacks, I'll be building up the patina in an attempt to match the screen shots on page 1.

On a side note, I kind of want to just leave it gold for the hilarity of it.

A jaw dropper! Stunning work! This project is gold - not just the finished product, but all of the tips and photos along the way! Congratulations and thanks!

A jaw dropper! Stunning work! This project is gold - not just the finished product, but all of the tips and photos along the way! Congratulations and thanks!

It's not done yet! Still got a lot of weathering to do. Here is my test piece.

2013-09-10+07.48.27.jpg

I'm hoping to get a lot less of the gold showing in the edges, should look like only the largest areas were worn off enough to show the true metal underneath.

Loved this armour from when I first saw it in the film! My brother has been begging me to try and make him this but I have no clue were to start! This is easily one of the best scratch build helmets I have come across, It's awesome! Keep it up!

I'll take 12! :p

This is absolutely stunning. Great work! Your beard is also looking nice and foofy.

Wow. That is cool! You put a lot of work into this!If I did not see the before pictures I would not know it was foam.

Is the pep file here a foam friendly file? I would love to make one of these in foam. If this file isn't good for foam do you happen to have one that is?

Is the pep file here a foam friendly file? I would love to make one of these in foam. If this file isn't good for foam do you happen to have one that is?

The pep file is more of a guideline, if you want to use it for foam then just find the surface faces and ignore all of the edges.

If you're not willing or able to problem solve and modify as you go than this file isn't for you, heh.

Also thanks sooo much for all of the compliments!! I've got the majority of the helmet with paint on it, though I didn't grab a picture yet since it's too dark for a decent one when I get home from work. Tonight I'll be painting the face pieces and hopefully do a round of rust/patina drybrushing on the whole thing. Once it's painted I'll be moving on to the chest, I've already got some big pieces made for that but it's proving tough to fit to my shape. I think I need to get some straps as well to hold it together.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back