Oversized 1:1.5 Darth Vader helmet.

You kid, but I thought about it, albeit for all of about 3 seconds before I remembered how uncomfortable and hot a Vader helmet gets. It doesn't quite fit anyway, but almost.

At the moment I'm working on getting a head strap inside. I was gonna use one of those real nice lookin hard hat suspension webbing liners people use for Storm Trooper helmets but there's no real way to fix it to the inside of my thing. So I'm just gonna use an on old welding mask one because it's got those two handy screw points on the sides. Planning on making a few holes so I can choose and adjust it, if shoulder armour should get in the way. Then it's onto attaching the helmet to the mask, which is gonna be tricky to set up and check it's placement but I've noticed Vader helmet helmet-to-mask angles vary.

6e467a7289ff11e2a55d22000a1fbcd5_7_zps1e232ce9.jpg

Working on the helmet attachment. I should probly hotglue it instead of waiting for wood glue to set.
Also still working on what holds the welding mask head liner. So it should be wearable soon enough.

Just realised I totally forgot to do the strip down the center of the helmet. Easy to do but can't believe I didn't notice that.

Last edited:
Well, it's finally wearable. Now I get to see how it looks altogether sitting where it's supposed to. I putin some mouth and chin grills I've made to see how they hide my face but they're not really noticable in these. You can kinda see the tusks I made.

I still need to strengthen the head support and I made the height of the headliner adjustable, should future shoulder armour get in the way.
Now I need to do the strip down the middle of the helmet then start preparing for the resin and glassing stage.

fittest3_zpsdf9ec660.jpg

fittest1_zpsb897099f.jpg

Very nice!

You probably have plenty of room now to put some fans in for cooling too!

Why stop there? Think big! Stick a gumball machine in there too! Have the little knob you turn on the nose, and then candies come out from under the chin.

That was only supposed to be a joke suggestion, but now I really want a walking Vader gumball machine. :behave

All this Star Wars goodness lately has made me pick back up on this project, so I made a better headwear attachment for a better fit, strengthened the inside, made some lenses out of an open face helmet bubble shield [first real purchase for this thing so far], and finally added the centre stripe to the helmet. Test fitted the mouth and chin grills and tusks too. Now it's onto the resin stage and then the labourious task of surface prep. I made a Doctor Doom helmet to see how cardboard would go with resin as a test for this giant thing.

11205758_1578332929096046_1210663646_n.jpg11229413_10155655085605151_4944706062946489067_n.jpg11350888_678003252345311_981672276_n.jpg

Well it's been slow progress but I picked back up on it again. Resined it up a while back, and shelved it for a bit after some body filler. Have since done some more sanding on it and the mask is pretty close to being done. Little pot holes here and there, but the helmet is still rough and getting a start on smoothening that out.

20150529_125730.jpg20150601_123319.jpg20151111_193053.jpg20151113_122219.jpg20151113_122237.jpg

By looking at the last two pics I would never believe that the helmet is actually made of cardboard. To be honest I am not really in cardboard builts, but this is truely amazing! You are a very skilled guy!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back