Steel Dredd Helmet build

glencsiro

Well, my little brother told me about the helmet competition and knew I'd always wanted to make a helmet, that and he and I doing a little competing against each other is always fun, after all he's a talented little bugger.
Any way this is the start and I'll show the progression of updates as I go along.
98359301.jpg

12734802.jpg

91163035.jpg

54663321.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Dredd Helmet build

The shell is nearly complete and now it's off to design the cut out and the extra layers, I'm more a fan of the old school style dredd, that is from the comics, not the Stallone version, the new movie is excellent, but I like the stuff I read as a kid in 200AD.

dscn0950ro.jpg

dscn0951f.jpg

dscn0952t.jpg

dscn0954e.jpg

dscn0955y.jpg

dscn0957g.jpg

Sure, but I'll have to charge you a fortune in freight as I'm only a storeman, this is only the second sheet metal project I've ever done.

I just did a really rough mock up for cutting and setting up for the visor; unfortunately I'm not feeling confident in this style.
I'll have to work on it some more and try some alternatives.

The symmetry’s not right but I know a few tricks to eliminate that.

imageake.jpg

latesti.jpg

Had a go at making the helmet badge but got the guesstamations wrong so I can’t use this, plus the flat face doesn’t look as good as if it had a little curve to it so off to make another.

badgeve.jpg

Looking great!

I'm glad somebody decided to go ahead and make one out of steel!

I've got my own idea for this stashed away at the moment, but I was thinking about doing a spangen style construction, using the raised crest as a joining plate for two dished halves and then making the rivets flush.

Mostly because I can't weld :p lol

I really look forward to seeing more progress on this build!

Had a go at making the helmet badge but got the guesstamations wrong so I can’t use this, plus the flat face doesn’t look as good as if it had a little curve to it so off to make another.

badgeve.jpg

Mate, How can that be "not good enough", its sweet.

Congrats on going full metal for the helmet build. I tip my hat at your skill.
Good Luck with the rest of your build!

Well spent the afternoon in the workshop, had some success and some failure.

I got the width of the new helmet badge wrong.

dscn0968i.jpg

dscn0966c.jpg

The first and the second attempt badge, going to have to make a third now.

dscn0970z.jpg

dscn0969m.jpg

dscn0962j.jpg

dscn0963u.jpg

dscn0965n.jpg

There is something about that first badge that I really like. to bad it's not going in to this.
the rest looks great.

This is awe-inspiring! :thumbsup

Really looking forward to seeing how you create the raised areas around the rim.

You have just raised the bar significantly!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back