Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Subscribe
    Dec 9, 2016, 9:27 AM - Re: 1/260 Scale - ST:TMP Drydock #76

Mark, I fully understand those words ''when finished'' Same thing with my Space Station!
    Feb 1, 2017, 6:31 PM - Re: 1/260 Scale - ST:TMP Drydock #77

[QUOTE=joberg;4138747]Mark, I fully understand those words ''when finished'' Same thing with my Space Station![/QUOTE
    Thanks Joberg. I know you can appreciate my paine.....whew. Where's Sybok when you need him....]

February Updates - 2017

SO WHAT HAPPENED TO DECEMBER AND JANUARY????????
    Uh..... I dunno..... Just had to take a break. Been busy with work family and a multitude of other things...... BUUUUUUUUUT! I'm ready to get moving again.
    The pics are loaded up on the February Updates - 2017 Page.
    Okay, so I really didn't get a whole lot done the last couple of months, But I did manage to work on a few things. The mounting clamps for all of the work booms are now complete and I mad the pincers for the ends of the booms. I kind of improvised on these because I couldn't see any functional need to the Drydocks end pieces as seen in the movie. I will be making alternate pieces that mimic TMP end pieces so they will be interchangeable. They will just slip onto the ends of the booms. Anyway, the booms were cut to the same length when I first made them and I really can't finish them until I get the Enterprise in place. Then the booms will be cut to the appropriate lengths and the end pieces will be put on. I will also cut the optic fiber to be flush with the end of the boom.
    Back to the turret clamps. I have these mounted on the bottoms of the swivel shaft and they are painted up to match the panel frames. I've also started to do some re-wiring on the Enterprise Deflector dish. my client wanted the ramp-up, ramp-down lighting effects added in so I need to run a few more wires through the dorsal. I've also replaced the LED in the dish reflector with a dual color LED. I should have this wired up by next update.
    In other areas, I'm starting to apply the decals for all of the shuttles that will go in the Aft Hanger bay. I also needed to take out some of the wiring for the thrusters on the Enterprise model to make room for the Gang way on the Dock. There's just too much packed into it and it might cause problems later on. I've also mounted the Enterprise onto the dock but I'm afraid the ship might just weight too much for the bracket, so I might have to stabilize the ship with some wires. .013mm I think is what I bought.
    I know this wasn't much of an update, but I should be back on track during this month. Thank you everyone for your patience. I know this is a long project, but please bear with me and you WILL see it complete. Ahh yes I love that word complete. So check out the pics, let me know what you think and I will see you next month. Take care everyone.
    Mark.
    Feb 2, 2017, 11:09 AM - Re: 1/260 Scale - ST:TMP Drydock #78

Yes!!! You're back and those clamps looks real good if I say so myself
    Feb 7, 2017, 12:59 PM - Re: 1/260 Scale - ST:TMP Drydock #79

Thanks Joberg.
    Mark.
    Mar 23, 2017, 12:56 PM - Re: 1/260 Scale - ST:TMP Drydock #80

New weblink:
    http://www.nemvia.net disregard anything with .com. I'll explain later.
    Mark
    Last edited by NemVia; Jul 17, 2017 at 7:51 PM.
    Mar 23, 2017, 5:18 PM - Re: 1/260 Scale - ST:TMP Drydock #81

Those dirty russkys, ;-)
    Jul 4, 2017, 12:58 PM - Re: 1/260 Scale - ST:TMP Drydock #82

July Updates - 2017
    Hey Everyone! My apologies to all for the big delay. As you may have noticed my website was hacked and my NemVia.com version of my is no longer functioning for my website. I have had to update my site to NemVia.net and try to clean up as much of the garbage that the hackers have caused and try to get things back in order as best as I could. I've had a few setbacks with the Drydock build, sick relatives and other problems have caused further delays. Although I do have a small update for this month I think you'll find some of it interesting.
    I became discouraged when I found out that I made a mis-calculation with my armature for the ship. This armature was to keep the ship level inside the dock and also allow it to appear to be floating while inside the dock. I poured over ways to correct this problem including some extremely thin steel fishing line that would hold the engines level with the dock. I decided to do what I did with my 1/350 scale dock armature and just bend the heck out of the thing until it help the ship upright and level the way I wanted it to.
    Using a pair of pipe wrenches, I found the point where the armature meets the connection rod and pushing in opposite directions I twisted the armature enough to pre-load the tension in order to hold the weight of the ship in place. I have a pic of how I was able to do this in the July Updates - 2017 page. It took me a couple of tries, but I finally got the ship to appear level inside the dock. She FLOATS! I exclaimed! Anyway that was a huge hurtle to get past. Now I can finish the wiring for the main deflector dish and torpedo launchers and finally seal off the saucer section and get ready to add the port side panel frames into place.
    In other areas I had to replace the hanger deck on the aft side of the Dock. Some of the fiber optics were not lining up the way I wanted to so I redid the entire deck. It looks much better now and I have all of the chase lighting done for the entire aft end of the modules. The small hangers have the chase lighting heading into the deck whereas the larger hanger has the lighting running in take-off mode with a few shuttles in position for launch. I have 7 new pics and 4 new videos of the chase lighting effects in this month's updates I should be able to get more done in the upcoming month. Once again I apologize for the long delays. Hang in there and I'll get this thing done soon. Thanks for your patience and keep checking for more updates.
    Mark
    http://www.NemVia.net
    Jul 15, 2017, 2:16 PM - Re: 1/260 Scale - ST:TMP Drydock #83

July Updates - 2017 - Supplemental...
    Okay, I usually don't jump ahead of my posts here, but I just had to add this to the blog.... I recently purchased a 80cm motorized camera dolly and I wanted to use it for several special photography effects on the side. But most importantly, when I finished the drydock build I wanted to make a duplicate flyby movie that would match ST:TMP's drydock flyby. I made a few passes with the model in it's unfinished state to get an idea of what I can do for a final project for this build. The results of the tests came out very good even though the lighting was not corrected the models are incomplete, none of the effects lighting is operating and there is no space background. But if you could just ignore all of that and take a look at the video's potential, you might understand why I had to do an early posting of this video. Now I really can't wait to finish this project. Take a look at the test video. https://youtu.be/n4EtoOLRdgg
    See you in a few weeks
    Mark
  9. Member Since
    Dec 2014
    Jul 17, 2017, 2:33 PM - Re: 1/260 Scale - ST:TMP Drydock #84

Dude! That is looking awesome.

What make and model of slider do you have? And what camera were you using?
    From
    Jamison, Pennsylvania
    Jul 17, 2017, 2:56 PM - Re: 1/260 Scale - ST:TMP Drydock #85

Wow that is amazing!

I didn't know any better, I'd have thought I was looking at a movie shot before they added in the CGI interiors and backgrounds!
    Jul 17, 2017, 7:32 PM - Re: 1/260 Scale - ST:TMP Drydock #86

adinelt said: View Post
    Dude! That is looking awesome.

What make and model of slider do you have? And what camera were you using?
    I'm using and Andoer 80cm motorized camera dolly and a JVC HD Everio hand held video camera. I'm not sure this will be the final camera used
    for the final production that I'm doing but as I said this was a test to see if the dolly speed was correct. I will try other test shots later with better lighting. This will cut down on the grainy look of the shots as well as add some more depth to the picture. I'll post more as I go. I just wanted to see how the dolly worked and the test was so good (I thought) that I wanted some opinions on the look. I'm buying a few more accessories for some other shots like above the saucer and some top to bottom shots as well. If you have any other suggestions for shots you would like to eventually see, I'll try to rig them up as well. Thanks for the comments!
    Mark
    Jul 17, 2017, 7:37 PM - Re: 1/260 Scale - ST:TMP Drydock #87

blakeh1 said: View Post
    Wow that is amazing!

I didn't know any better, I'd have thought I was looking at a movie shot before they added in the CGI interiors and backgrounds!
    Well, if some creative film editor would like to add cgi in, I will be happy to let them do it!. When I do the final version though, you
    you won't see any of the posters or window wells or ceiling lights in the shots. I will shoot them with a black velvet background much like I did with the 1/350 scale version.
    All of the effects I will do will be in-camera. Anything extra can be added in by some of you wonderful CGI artists.
    Thanks for the reply,
    Mark
    Jul 18, 2017, 7:51 PM - Re: 1/260 Scale - ST:TMP Drydock #88

Love those dolly-shots for sure (I'm a fan of in-camera effects). It's really looking good. I don't know what kind of depth of field you'll have (background and lighting can be tricky without it as you know). Looking forward to your next update!
  14. Member Since
    Sep 2011
    From
    west australia
    Jul 19, 2017, 6:36 PM - Re: 1/260 Scale - ST:TMP Drydock #89

mindblowing work,cannot get enough of this!
    Jul 31, 2017, 9:38 PM - Re: 1/260 Scale - ST:TMP Drydock #90

joberg said: View Post
    Love those dolly-shots for sure (I'm a fan of in-camera effects). It's really looking good. I don't know what kind of depth of field you'll have (background and lighting can be tricky without it as you know). Looking forward to your next update!
    Thank you joberg. I wish I could do something like that with your Space station as well. I'll just keep trying different lighting and/or filters until I get it right. We'll see how it goes. Thanks for the comments.
    Mark

- - - Updated - - -

mofo77 said: View Post
    mindblowing work,cannot get enough of this!
    Thanks mofo77 glad you like it!
    Mark

- - - Updated - - -

August Updates - 2017
    This has been an eventful month. Adding the Test video of the Enterprise flyby to my library has given me a little extra motivation. I want to thank all of you who have checked out the video on youtube. I am looking forward to making my own ST:TMP version of the flyby when I'm finished, shot for shot. Also I'm planning on making an additional version that would include portions of the Enterprise and Drydock that were not shown in TMP. Any ideas? Let me know.
    In this month's update I've been concentrating on getting all of the wiring done for all of the hanger bays on both the front and aft sides of the dock. I finally was able to hook up all of the chase lighting on all of the hangers as well as their overhead lighting. I wanted to have the overhead lighting on the hangers rather than the rear walls glowing to make the modules appear more like a gigantic space warehouse for supplying and/or repairing any starship that might pull into this humungous dock for repair/refit/resupply. This is also why I wanted everyone to see inside at least one of the hangers. If I didn't need the support framework on the inside of the modules to hold the model up, I would have made the hanger even deeper into the model. But space was limited. But, I've permanently added the shuttles into the hanger deck and at least four of them are lit. I will be adding crewmembers as well as work bees and cargo containers to add depth of scale to the dock. I also added some red LEDs to the front hanger as seen in TMP. I would guess that the RED lights would be a warning to small craft that it is not safe to enter the dock at this point. That is why on the open hanger on the aft side I'm using green LEDs to indicate it is safe for departure or arrival onto the hanger. The chase lighting on the open hanger is heading outward indicating clearance for launch.
    I've also added the top f the module to port side of the dock in one of the pictures. I wanted to make sure it seated the right way and would not interfere with any of the wiring and optical fibers. It fits very snug and can be removed to access the lighting and wiring.
    Getting back to the Enterprise, I am adding some super strong magnets to a few parts of the ship. Mainly the saucer and the main deflector dish housing. This will also allow access to some of the wiring. I will be finishing that wiring up as well as for the photon torpedo launchers. There are a few more small details I have to add to the ship and then do another wiring test before I seal everything up. I can then add the Enterprise permanently to the dock structure and wire it into place. After that I can begin adding the port side panel frame assembly. Keep checking for the updates. I can actually see an end coming for this build. FINALLY! Then I can look forward to making some nice HERO shots as well as the long awaited FLYBY Video. Exciting times!
    Well that's it for this update. Enjoy the pics in the August Updates 2017 page. Talk to you in a month or so.
    Mark
    Aug 1, 2017, 8:10 AM - Re: 1/260 Scale - ST:TMP Drydock #91

Fantastic job Mark My Space Station is finally done and I wish I had had your knowledge of wiring/electronics to put lighting in it
    You're mentioning in your post that you'll film your dry-dock shot for shot (as in the same set-ups that are in the movie?) I think that you should make a brand new vid of what you wanted to see in the movie but that wasn't shot I think that with your set up, you'll achieve great quality at the end! Eager to see the next update.
    Aug 1, 2017, 5:34 PM - Re: 1/260 Scale - ST:TMP Drydock #92

joberg said: View Post
    Fantastic job Mark My Space Station is finally done and I wish I had had your knowledge of wiring/electronics to put lighting in it
    You're mentioning in your post that you'll film your dry-dock shot for shot (as in the same set-ups that are in the movie?) I think that you should make a brand new vid of what you wanted to see in the movie but that wasn't shot I think that with your set up, you'll achieve great quality at the end! Eager to see the next update.
    Thanks joberg. Yes, I wanted to try the classic camera shots as many do in their cg work just to see how it works out. After that I want to do my own version of the flyby, that's why I was asking for suggestions. I've had a few good ideas suggested to me so far by other fans as to what they'd like to see and I will try to include as many as I can. But for now.... baby steps before the quantum leap!
    Mark
    1 Week Ago  Sep 17, 2017, 8:44 AM - Re: 1/260 Scale - ST:TMP Drydock #93

September Updates - 2017
    Hi Everyone. I've been making a little more progress with the dock build. I've added some magnets to the engineering section to hole the Deflector dish assembly in place. This will make the Housing removable in case someone needs to get to some of the engineering electronics. I've also added the wiring and LEDs for both the Deflector Ramp on/Ramp off effects as well as adding the Photon torpedo firing effects to the launching tubes. I still need to fix a few of the light leeks but the effect look very nice. I've added a small video for those who would like to view the effects. I've also built some lighting housing for the running lights that are seen on the drydock mainly on the front end. I was having trouble figuring out how I was going to wire these until I found some speaker coil wire which is extremely thin. Once it's painted up it will be difficult to see on the model. I've added 8 pics to the September 2017 page... I've also added a new short video with the Deflector dish and Photon Torpedo lighting tests. By the next updates I will have the Shuttle bay details added to the outside of the hanger deck and will begin to permanently wire all of the electronics to the circuit boards that are inside the Starboard side overhead modules. See you next update.
    Mark

http://www.NemVia.net
    1 Week Ago  Sep 17, 2017, 8:52 AM - Re: 1/260 Scale - ST:TMP Drydock #94

Great update Mark! Eager to see the next one of course