My Raiders fertility idol build

Whovian

Ok. First, got an amazing resin idol from Ozymandius. I highly recommend him, and his work.

Second, decided on real eyes or leaving it as is and doing the gold up... decided on real eyes (well, doll eyes or the like, anyway).

So, used my rotary tool to cut out the eyes, and here is what it looks like so far... A couple little scratches from the tool, but I can sand them out easily enough.

Now, here's my dilemma.

While cutting out the eyes was easy enough, there is enough resin material around the eye sockets on the inside, that it will be impossible to place the eyeballs flush behind the sockets. I worked out as much as I can with the tool, but I can see there is more there I just cannot get to.

Other than cutting the idol apart and doing this, anyone got any bright ideas?

Now, here's my dilemma.

While cutting out the eyes was easy enough, there is enough resin material around the eye sockets on the inside, that it will be impossible to place the eyeballs flush behind the sockets. I worked out as much as I can with the tool, but I can see there is more there I just cannot get to.

Other than cutting the idol apart and doing this, anyone got any bright ideas?

The real one with eyes did not have the eyes totally flush to the sockets.
You could cut it up around the hair just like the real one.

The real one with eyes did not have the eyes totally flush to the sockets.
You could cut it up around the hair just like the real one.

I was hoping to avoid cutting if I could, but I may have to. The amount of material in there now would really set the eyes back to a point where you'd notice the gap, more than the eyes.

Drill in deep enough, then dremel assorted grinding tools, then assorted scraping tools.

Although I had several access points I managed to hollow out a 1/6 scale diving helmet this way.

Drill in deep enough, then dremel assorted grinding tools, then assorted scraping tools.

Although I had several access points I managed to hollow out a 1/6 scale diving helmet this way.

Yeah, I looked through my assortment of grinding wheels and such for my rotary tool, and I found one that looks like it might give me the clearance I need around the eye sockets...

next up, ordering eyes. I've seen several places online (none of the local craft stores have realistic eyes). So, I'll order a few sets and see what looks/fits best.

While I wait, I'll continue my color tests. I decided I just can't afford plating, or vacuum metalizing, etc. So, I am testing various metallic gold spray paints.

I have 2 coats of primer down on a scrap piece of wood as a base, and three coats of Premium Decor Metallic Gold from the local True Value. I have 5 coats (of 15 planned) of Rust-oleum's Ultra Cover 2X gloss clear on top of the metallic gold.

I'm basically following a tutorial I found online about painting surfaces to have an almost mirror like finish, regardless of color. My tests with black a few moths ago for a furniture project went really well, so we'll see how this looks when all is said and done.

of course, I'll be trying Dupli-Color's Metallic Gold from the local Pep Boys, and possibly a few others before I decide which to use.

Back to painting!:)

Did you contact ChromeTech about plating it? Don't know what your budget is on it, but he's very reasonable compared to other places. He did mine, just check my album if you'd like to see it.

If he's within your budget and you send it, the only thing I would recommend is getting the absolute smoothest surface possible on it. The Vac Metallizing doesn't hide anything, it highlights any flaws.

Also, as for removing some of the material to get the eyes a bit more flush, I used a Dremel 194 bit. It fits in there very easily, just have to go at an angle.

Also, as for removing some of the material to get the eyes a bit more flush, I used a Dremel 194 bit. It fits in there very easily, just have to go at an angle.

Thanks. I have a similar bit, but if I use it at the angle I need, the spinning chuck nut touches the idol. Busy today, but will try my grinding wheel tonight.

Did you contact ChromeTech about plating it? Don't know what your budget is on it, but he's very reasonable compared to other places. He did mine, just check my album if you'd like to see it.

If he's within your budget and you send it, the only thing I would recommend is getting the absolute smoothest surface possible on it. The Vac Metallizing doesn't hide anything, it highlights any flaws.

Yes, I got a quote. Still a bit out of budget for now, but I'll keep him in mind for later projects.

That's cool. You might want to check out GordonTarpley's blog. I am C3PO

He shows several paint test and the method he used on his 3P0 for the paint.
thanks. Looking now. The first test I did with the Premium Decor Metallic Gold (mentioned above) is okay, but just okay.

On a bright note, the grinder I found in my mess of rotary tools seems to have done the job. The inside looks pretty well cleaned out now, so once I decide on the eyes, they should sit pretty flush against the inside of the socket area.

EDIT: nice blog recommendation. thanks. looks like he airbrushed (had not thought about that), and mixed Alclad chrome and brass, which looked pretty good.

Maybe I need to bit the bullet and invest in some airbrushing equipment. I'm sure it will come in handy in the future.

Last edited:
decided om vacuum metalizing. found a place to do it for $55.00. They do car parts, and also small models, etc. Sending it out today.

Just ordered the eyes.

RE_tiger_eye_brown.jpg

Question, how are you going to get a round eye into a oval hole?

That's a good question. In this case, the answer is that the resin cast is hollow, and open on the bottom. I'll just stick the eye on something long enough, stick it up in from the open bottom, and then fix it with glue or something.

Some statues do not have an opening at the bottom, so people end up either leaving they eyes as cast, or cutting the back of the skull off to set the eyes.

Whovian,

Have you attempted to contact Ozymandias... I've messaged him on different occasions and he's always been very polite and professional in responding to my inquiries.

B

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back