Tomb Raider Ice Axe - Finished!

CynderBloc

I've never been very good at doing things quickly, especially when it comes to artistic stuff. I tend to get bogged down over one section that I just can't get right. It usually leads to frustration and not wanting to touch the piece for a few days.

So, a few weeks ago I decided that I would start a line of "1 day builds" when I needed a distraction, basically stripping the fine detail out of stuff and piecing it together as fast as possible, with the intention of training myself to finish projects in a fraction of the time it usually takes me.

Given that the new Tomb Raider is out next week, made sense to start with that.

Now I know that this actually exists, and that it's a DMM Rebel Adze, but to buy one it's £160+, and given that I live about 8m above sea level, have absolutely no use for it :unsure

I used the early concept art as a reference. Didn't seem to make sense to directly copy an existing product

7c6d7f_70a708aa88b3f362339532c9b0624d3d.jpg_1024

Ok, yeah, it's not finished, so technically not a 1 day build...but I didn't start until 2 this afternoon and only got about 4 hours work on it. I got more done in those 4 hours than I would usually get done in a week, so I'm not complaining

458d615d-e49f-4e32-ba82-6e9a008035c6_zps6101a79c.jpg

Obviously the handle needs shaped, it and pick aren't attached yet, figured it would be easier to shape them separately. The adze is done but not glued on and I've been hoking around trying to find those older style flatter nuts and bolts. I know it doesn't really make sense that they'd be on a recent ice axe but I like the look

I'm giving myself 10 hours total build time. No matter how it looks shapewise after that, it's getting painted and called finished.

Last edited:
Re: Tom Raider Ice Axe

This looks great so far. What did you use for the red handle? It looks pretty spot on.

I think the back pick is too small though, maybe by half?

Re: Tom Raider Ice Axe

Cheers. Scraps mainly, some MDF, acrylic and styrene.

The rear pick is the adze, it's like a scoop. It looks short now because that's just the spine for it, it hasn't been attached yet

....and it's done!

Total build time including painting came in at just over 9.5 hours, comfortably within the time frame.

I really wanted to get this finished today due to the release at midnight, and luckily enough today was one of my days off this week! Had I been working today I would have been a very angry Lara Croftite....

Anyway, like I said, this wasn't about 100% accuracy, but for the time I had, I'm very happy. Light isn't great in these photo's, I'll reupload them tomorrow when I can snap it in daylight.

7ed770da-2c04-4b08-8874-181aa7f7fea6_zps656d81e0.jpg

7818249f-e80e-4431-a81d-aa413eb41695_zpseaf313e5.jpg

e2b2241c-f646-4dd3-8cac-182c43bd5b5a_zps63280920.jpg

Right, I'm off to preload the game on Steam, probably won't be about for a week or so :D

Little bonus pic...

I was originally planning on giving this away to someone, but I kinda fell in love with it, so I made a wall mount for it

d5fe9348-8b52-4e5b-a0bb-fa615cf70d0b_zps06fbac62.jpg

Now I just need to find some wall space for it :D

@CynderBloc: I would like to pay you lots of money if you could re-create this for me please! I am in desperate need of this for my costume of Lara Croft and would love to have it!!!! Please tell me if you are up to that and how do we go about doing that.

That thing looks fantastic! I love it! I made a quick and dirty one for our comicon last week out of foam for the wife but it didn't look nearly that good. PM inbound,hehe. :love

This is very cleanly done! I love how sharp and crisp everything is. The handle is probably my favorite part. It's so nicely shaped! You did an awesome job weathering the axe as well :)

You inspired me with your design, so I got the axe (only $159!) and had the background printed then mounted on board.
photo-1_zps11812eed.jpg

You inspired me with your design, so I got the axe (only $159!) and had the background printed then mounted on board.
View attachment 181098
Loving it :thumbsup. Might have to get a printed background myself, didn't mind the shabby look of mine originally, but that looks so nice and clean

$159 is really cheap for that DMM, I've been on the lookout for one as well, so that I can cast it, hack up the cast and make a 'V2', trying to get a more accurate in-game version.

Loving it :thumbsup. Might have to get a printed background myself, didn't mind the shabby look of mine originally, but that looks so nice and clean

$159 is really cheap for that DMM, I've been on the lookout for one as well, so that I can cast it, hack up the cast and make a 'V2', trying to get a more accurate in-game version.

Hey dude,

I scoured the net to even find one available (as it's now an finished model) and came across a place that had one "demo" one left so they off loaded it cheap.

Anyway, here's the background if you want to print it.

TRAxeBackdrop_zps1eeaf152.jpg

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back