Kit bash 1:350 Refit Enterprise to Reliant

Southern OR

I did a search and I haven't found much on how to kit bash the Polar Lights 350 refit Enterprise into a Reliant (Miranda Class, maybe with or without roll bar). I found pics of one completed, but not a direct how too. I imagine it'd take a lot of polystyrene. From the notes I found on the completed one, you use the saucer, impulse assembly, and nacelles from the PL kit. Not sure what you'd do with the secondary hull, pylons, and neck that are left over.

I've done kit bashes in the past, but I've used parts from other kits (maquis raider, turned out awesome) so this carving half a ship out of sheets is new to me. Anyone tried it or is thinking about it? I might be up for it after my Enterprises are done.

I would think that you could join another site like papermodelers.com, download one of their free templates for a reliant class paper model and blow it up to 1:350 scale... then salvage the bits you would need to convert the 1:350 Enterprise refit into the reliant and use them as templates to cut out your styrene. And the pre-printed images on the card-model would give you a basic idea of what all the little greeblies would look like, (and don't forget to collect all the screen-shots and reference images as possible). It would just be a matter, then, of scratching the greeblies and putting it all together. Sounds like a fun build! :)

Thanks, I'll have to look into them. I already have a version of it's blue prints in mid res so the bigger the more they distort, but I'd still need the paper version for things like windows and deck alignment. I have a assembled retooled 1:537 Reliant (waiting on things like paint and a "I have a airbrush you can have") and I think it's taunting me every time I open the PL 350 refit. If I did make one I think I'd do it without the roll bar.

YOU are the artist, but it wouldn't be the Reliant without the roll-bar, ya know. It DOES still look cool, though! :)
highland%201_ZS0.jpg

It is still a Miranda Class ship.

The Saratoga in DS9 didn't have a bar (real reason was they couldn't get the lights to work)

I have to say that if you are having difficulty with the AMT model and are intimidated by the 1/350 then I don't see how you intend to tackle modding it into a Miranda Class.
It can be done or even converting it to a Constellation Class but the question here is "are you biting off more than you can chew?"

Just my 2 cents on the matter.

It is still a Miranda Class ship.

The Saratoga in DS9 didn't have a bar (real reason was they couldn't get the lights to work)

I have to say that if you are having difficulty with the AMT model and are intimidated by the 1/350 then I don't see how you intend to tackle modding it into a Miranda Class.
It can be done or even converting it to a Constellation Class but the question here is "are you biting off more than you can chew?"

Just my 2 cents on the matter.

(Miranda class, yes... USS Reliant, no)... It IS a big project... If you have never done a conversion like this before, it would be a good idea to practice on something less expensive, first. Division6 is right for asking the question. It is never a good idea to make impossible goals. If you are ready for it, though, I can't wait to see it! :)

I've kit bashed before (maquis raider, Corrected and lit the defiant model) but in my opinion the old enterprise AMT kit is by far the worst kit I've ever made-but it is 99% assembled and is in alignment, which is more then I can say for the 3 I found on line and the one I've seen in person. I did it for practice since I sort of took a 8 year break and I figure if this one comes out ok, the bigger one should too. My Reliant, B-17, and B-24, ect. all went together much much better. I think the AMT Enterprise is a good candidate for kit bashing since you pretty much have to coax it into existence in the first place.

But you guys are right, I've never done a full conversion on this scale before. I'm sure I wouldn't have a problem making the hull, shuttle bays, and the pylons, but the deflectors and detail could be my downfall. :/ I might take take it on after the PL 350 is completely done.

I was thinking about it and a custom Miranda is in my future. I was looking at all the stuff I made in the last 2 or 3 years and I think I'm getting tired of kits-not that I don't enjoy them, but now I'm finding my self going *sigh yep, looks exactly like it should on the cover. I've even done a few resin kits (2 b-17 engines and a b-24 engine). I took on the AMT Ent on knowing it was awful so give me some kind of challenge and it has paid off so far. Beats some of the other stuff I've assembled in a day (2nd and 3rd B-17s, the Reliant). So after the PL 350 is done, I think it's time to move on to bigger challenges that can hold my attention.

Well, galaxyman1701d is tackling the 1:350 scale Enterprise-D, and I am working on the 1:350 scale Enterprise-C... feel like tackling the 1:350 scale Enterprise-B? :)

Well, galaxyman1701d is tackling the 1:350 scale Enterprise-D, and I am working on the 1:350 scale Enterprise-C... feel like tackling the 1:350 scale Enterprise-B? :)

Wow, just ball parking the size I would think a galaxy class would be 2x the height of the refit and around 6' long. I think I'll stick with the Miranda for now. Easier to move when and if we have to. Besides, if I was to do a full custom 1/350 ship I'd probably attempt my all time favorite and go for the Prometheus (VOY Message in a Bottle and a fuzzy one was also in Endgame, NOT DS9's Nebula class), but all assembled. Making a come apart custom model with lights for tri-assult mode sounds like a nightmare which might be why I can only find (and have) the little Furuta one. It's a cool ship and with 1990's graphics being what they are, I have some wiggle room for fine detail (but yes, I do have the ST Magazine profiles of it). Be nice if I could find the original CGI model for it since there is NO studio model of it.

I sort of have a fondness for the Miranda class despite their use as cannon fodder. I might just build it without the roll bar and give it a custom name. shouldn't be hard since it seems SF made around three thousand of them. If I ever did a custom 350 ship that needed to be damaged, I'd just do a Oberth class since none of them have ever survived in the movies, let alone a full episode.

As for squaring off, I already got the Bird of Prey. :)

I was thinking and after looking at my strange good luck charm, I think the old micro machines runabout is about 1:350 scale. I then realized that a runabout would never fit past the doors of the refit Enterprise let alone a Miranda, but I thought it might help if the D or C guys wanted ideas.

As for a Miranda, I've been thinking that mine (whenever I start it) will be a major customized ship. I'm still undecided about no roll bar so maybe if I don't use it I'll have to move the torpedo tubes to the saucer just above the sensor dome like TOS E? I'm really liking the idea of using the PL kit as a base to build off. I was looking at my AMT Reliant today (it had a bit of a large fall and um, needs assembly) and I noticed they sort of forgot the saucer docking ports. I'm not to picky when it comes to every last detail, but seriously, how do you forget docking ports? They did remember the one behind the bridge however...

Last edited:
This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back