Evil Dead II/Ash Williams Costume

Yeah, finding the correct model chainsaw in the UK isn't easy - but if you're patient they DO exist here and crop up on eBay from time to time.

For modification, check out this thread:

http://www.therpf.com/f9/evil-dead-ii-army-darkness-replica-chainsaw-118797/

Lots of great reference there. And if you have any other questions about it, just shoot (I've modded one myself).

Where did you find your Boomstick? Thinking that that's one of the things I need to add to my display.

My amazingly crap-tastic work is praaaaised. Hail Krom.

So being that I'm putting together a replica Ash Williams (specifically his Evil Dead II outfit) possessed/deadite/zombie version, I figured I'd throw out there a few bits and pieces of insight and or costume match-ups for those that wish to pursue the same king of all badarseness costumery.

First off,
Wanted to ask SquareSheep about his shotgun choice as I was close to purchasing this capgun previously...
Question #Uno: What is the overall scale of the gun compared to let's say, a really real world double barrel?
Question #Deux: Is the stock handle easy to remove if someone wants to, let's say, add a pistol gripped stock to look more like the one that Ash wields?

I myself have decided to go the guerilla route and rent a real steel double barrel shotgun that I'm planning on molding and casting in Resin (static piece, no working trigger or break-open capabilities, just want meself a fullsized shotgun exactly like Ash's) which looks almost exactly like this one:
Double-barrel-shotgun.jpg
Other than the fact that the one I'm getting has this god awful rubber pad on the back of the stock that I'm going to have to unscrew and replace with a metal buttstock plate like the one Ash has.
Also, it's going to be a real pain in the testiculatory region being that I have to stop the mold around the area I want the shotgun to be sawed off which means I will probably have to go in with a dremel and carve me some barrel holes....... No biggie though, it'll look beast once I slap some paint on her.

Moving on.

From what I've gathered, Ash's true-to-the-film-worn shirt is a Dickies brand 574 long sleeved work shirt and I can honestly vouch for such as I've viewed some behind the scenes bits and you can see the wee little Dickies tag on the front... Only thing that throws me off a little is that in the film his buttons appear to be black and the shirts I've found seem to be.... Not black.
The color he wears seems to vary from shot-to-shot between gulf blue and navy blue (aaaah continuity).
dickies_574GB_lg-01.jpg
dickies_574AF_lg.jpg
Personally the gulf blue is a bit more in line with Army of Darkness and the navy is more Evil Dead II in my opinion.
But this could be preference... All in all, I will be going for a more Evil Dead II style as my saw is based on the version from the workshed scene so navy is going to be my pick.

I'm not Too sure what his boots are anymore... I'm certain they're skywalk soles... Used to think they were Vasque Sundowner hiking boots but unless the boots in ED II and AOD are totally different (possible), the screen caps from AOD and the McFarlane figure suggest they have black breathable areas on the sides. Totally unlike the Vasque and more like Tecnica skywalk boots.......

There should be a thread trying to ID his damned boots!

So being that I'm putting together a replica Ash Williams (specifically his Evil Dead II outfit) possessed/deadite/zombie version, I figured I'd throw out there a few bits and pieces of insight and or costume match-ups for those that wish to pursue the same king of all badarseness costumery.

First off,
Wanted to ask SquareSheep about his shotgun choice as I was close to purchasing this capgun previously...
Question #Uno: What is the overall scale of the gun compared to let's say, a really real world double barrel?
Question #Deux: Is the stock handle easy to remove if someone wants to, let's say, add a pistol gripped stock to look more like the one that Ash wields?

I myself have decided to go the guerilla route and rent a real steel double barrel shotgun that I'm planning on molding and casting in Resin (static piece, no working trigger or break-open capabilities, just want meself a fullsized shotgun exactly like Ash's) which looks almost exactly like this one:
View attachment 241783
Other than the fact that the one I'm getting has this god awful rubber pad on the back of the stock that I'm going to have to unscrew and replace with a metal buttstock plate like the one Ash has.
Also, it's going to be a real pain in the testiculatory region being that I have to stop the mold around the area I want the shotgun to be sawed off which means I will probably have to go in with a dremel and carve me some barrel holes....... No biggie though, it'll look beast once I slap some paint on her.

Moving on.

From what I've gathered, Ash's true-to-the-film-worn shirt is a Dickies brand 574 long sleeved work shirt and I can honestly vouch for such as I've viewed some behind the scenes bits and you can see the wee little Dickies tag on the front... Only thing that throws me off a little is that in the film his buttons appear to be black and the shirts I've found seem to be.... Not black.
The color he wears seems to vary from shot-to-shot between gulf blue and navy blue (aaaah continuity).
View attachment 241784
View attachment 241785
Personally the gulf blue is a bit more in line with Army of Darkness and the navy is more Evil Dead II in my opinion.
But this could be preference... All in all, I will be going for a more Evil Dead II style as my saw is based on the version from the workshed scene so navy is going to be my pick.

I had this same problem. Until I watched Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness. If you watch Ash closely in ED2, his shirt starts off as gulf blue. And the buttons look the they are a darker shade of blue than black. For AoD the shirt changed. Bruce was fitted with a jeans shirt. The pockets were differently shaped. But in the same color as ED2. It looks dark later on in ED2 and AoD cause it gets dirty.

Another note, in ED1, Bruce wore a light blue western shirt. If you pause during the scene where Ash begins to enter the cellar to look for Scott, you see that his sleeve cuffs have 2 buttons. I'm still trying to ID the ED1 shirt. It looks like a western shirt, but could be something else

Last edited:
Here is mine which i modified and reshaped to match the screen used prop more closely http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160816/037a824fdbc2748548bad309f8052155.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

That shotgun looks great, Joe. I did an Evil Dead II Ash costume 5 years ago for Halloween, and had a hard time finding a good shotgun to use. I think I ended up with a cheap toy one that I modded and painted up. I did have a legit Homelite XL that I built up though. I'll eventually get around to posting a thread on that build.1.jpg51.jpg

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back