V for Vendetta wig?

Jawafive

Sr Member
Anyone have suggestions? I know absolutely nothing about wigs. I don't need real human hair or anything, but I would like something that really looks the part.

I haven't been looking for a wig yet but they say a Cleopatra wig looks the part. It's not black but dark brown and it needs only a little trimming.

I used a dark brown wig for my V costume, had a friend cut the fringe square and shorten the back.
Reference pics can look like he had black hair but I think dark brown looks best.

352012f3-6ba2-445c-ba8c-c5bcdff93067.jpg

28fe4aff-ebbd-47c0-b322-cb87fa2c5829.jpg

9e99318a-27cf-42fa-9e72-d3b2f0ee8b28.jpg

V wears a dark brown (#4) wig. Dark brown hair looks black or sometimes auburn depending on the lighting, and I assume V wore a real human hair wig. But in the past V cosplayers have gone with a cleopatra wig, deluxe cleo for those who are willing to spend a little more. I say go with one that has full bangs and trim where its needed. If you can curl the ends outwards, even better.
This is such a great costume! :) Would you mind sharing with me where or who you purchased the hat from?

The costume is indeed fantastic, wolf! *jawdrop*

I have ordered a wig a few days ago, I will report back once it is delivered and I can inspect the color closely :)

I was looking at doing one of these, but have restricted my suits - to ones I can build myself. Once you are starting buying beautiful leather boots - Like Darth/Obi-Wan/V you can part with some serious £/$'s. I think the boots can ruin an otherwise perfect costume - your boots are great Wolf where did you source them?
When I set up a file for V, I found the daggers here -looked again they're even cheaper - they've slashed the prices (sorry)
V for Vendetta Knife Movie Dagger

Yes the hat was a big problem, I bit the bullet and bought the best looking version I could.
Boots are soft leather, as seen in the start of V for Vendetta, where he brushes his boot shin.My boots are Russian Army motorcycle boots, if I remember. A slightly different detail on the tops.

Gloves are ceremonial gauntlets, easily sourced,very soft leather, nice length, similar stitching on hand, but not with the extra stitching on the edging. But a good option imo.

Daggers, I thought about rubber/resin safety style for events but bought the cheapo versions, blunted them . Nothing as nice as the sound metal makes :)

The favor this stightly different shape of the daggers: Bürgerwehr Dolch - Gebrauchstaugliche Dolche - Schwerter, Messer und Rüstungen von Swords & more

I got one of them and try to make decent replicas atm.
I hope you're successful in casting them because that's a Windlass dagger which are the most accurate replicas. :) The only thing different from the film ones is the handle. These also are closer to movie accurate and affordable: V for Vendetta Knife 16in - Comic & Movie Anarchy Dagger but they have been sold out since 2011 :unsure
Yes the hat was a big problem, I bit the bullet and bought the best looking version I could.
Boots are soft leather, as seen in the start of V for Vendetta, where he brushes his boot shin.My boots are Russian Army motorcycle boots, if I remember. A slightly different detail on the tops.

Gloves are ceremonial gauntlets, easily sourced,very soft leather, nice length, similar stitching on hand, but not with the extra stitching on the edging. But a good option imo.

Daggers, I thought about rubber/resin safety style for events but bought the cheapo versions, blunted them . Nothing as nice as the sound metal makes :)
Wolf, thanks for the boot and gauntlet advice. :) So who is the hat from? Caligo? They're the only ones who offer a hat that looks like V's that's easily found by internet searching. I ordered their hat a few days ago and as much as I would love to have a fur hat and not wool like I bought, some members over at a hat forum have said their hats are overpriced by the liaison. :( And since the only other website that sold a hat very passable for V's never answered me, I had to go with the Caligo hat. That was a real shame because their hat looked the part too and it was affordable. Darth Mule recommended hatcrafters and although they got back to me, they seemed to ignore my questions concerning the modification of their puritan hat. I hope anyone who intends to buy from them has a bit more luck than I did.

If anyone searching for a V hat but does not want to buy from Caligo be it because it may be out of budget, search cavalier hats instead of pilgrim. V wears a modernized 16th century cavalier doublet, so he wears a modernized cavalier hat too. Period looking cavalier hats usually have 5"+ crowns and 4"+ brims. If you find one you like that is made to order, have the brim cut to 4-4.5" if you want screen brim accuracy. :)

Last edited:
Wow! Thank you for the tips, wolf and J EM!
I haven't tought about the boots and the hat yet because they seemed completely unobtainable... spent a while looking for the gloves to no avail tho - so glad I know now what they are called :D

I called Linda from Hatcrafters and they had no problems with the mods to the Puritan hat. I should be getting it in a couple of weeks.

I hope you're successful in casting them because that's a Windlass dagger which were used for the film. :) The only things changed for the film ones was the handle. These also are closer to movie accurate and affordable: V for Vendetta Knife 16in - Comic & Movie Anarchy Dagger but they have been sold out since 2011 :unsure

Wolf, thanks for the boot and gauntlet advice. :) So who is the hat from? Caligo? They're the only ones who offer a hat that looks like V's that's easily found by internet searching. I ordered their hat a few days ago and as much as I would love to have a fur hat and not wool like I bought, some members over at a hat forum have said their hats are overpriced by the liaison. :( And since the only other website that sold a hat very passable for V's never answered me, I had to go with the Caligo hat. That was a real shame because their hat looked the part too and it was affordable. Darth Mule recommended hatcrafters and although they got back to me, they seemed to ignore my questions concerning the modification of their puritan hat. I hope anyone who intends to buy from them has a bit more luck than I did.

If anyone searching for a V hat but does not want to buy from Caligo be it because it may be out of budget, search cavalier hats instead of pilgrim. V wears a modernized 16th century cavalier doublet, so he wears a modernized cavalier hat too. Period looking cavalier hats usually have 5"+ crowns and 4"+ brims. If you find one you like that is made to order, have the brim cut to 4.3" if you want screen brim accuracy. :)

I called Linda from Hatcrafters and they had no problems with the mods to the Puritan hat. I should be getting it in a couple of weeks.
I didn't have the number. Maybe I should've called. No matter, I wish my questions could have been answered through email when I got email replies. I only had about three q's. Oh well. I'd love to know how your V style hat from Hatcrafters comes out. I don't think I've seen theirs anywhere. If I think yours looks better than my Caliq hat which I'll get in two weeks, I'll buy theirs too. So again, I'd like if you shared some pics with me after. :)

Got my mask a couple of days ago and tried it on with my wig yesterday. I will still have to trim the wig carefully (I just cut off like 20 cm because the sheer length annoyed me) but I am very happy with it.
Funny but now I understand that V's brushing his wig in the beginning of the movie was not a mere mannerism but a necessity, lol. I found myself brushing the wig a lot yesterday :D

J EM,
what a lovely new avatar you have there! It's your happy face, right? :)

Nice job on the costume wolf where did you source the black shirt top and trousers. Also the top does it cover the neck like in the movie or is it a seperat piece if it is seperate where did u source it i can only find cheaply made knock offs that look lousy. Your is screen quality. If you dont mind helping me out with this id really appreciate. Thanks for your time buddy and i look forward to your reply

Love your costume wolf. Care to divulge any details about sourcing the belt/doublet?
Nice job on the costume wolf where did you source the black shirt top and trousers. Also the top does it cover the neck like in the movie or is it a seperat piece if it is seperate where did u source it i can only find cheaply made knock offs that look lousy. Your is screen quality. If you dont mind helping me out with this id really appreciate. Thanks for your time buddy and i look forward to your reply
I'm not "wolf" but I may be able to point you to where I think his doublet is from. The separated skirt on his doublet makes me believe it is one from fan-store.
TheIronRing also makes a nice V doublet.
Either of these is bound to be better than whats offered by Rubies in their standard or "grand heritage" V costumes. Just take time to provide your measurements instead of buying a standard size one. Do they have a neck as high as it should be? No. That may be preferred for comfort because just look at this uncomfortable looking man. XD
high_neck.jpg

As for the belt. wolf's belt looks nice its gotta be custom made, as was V's. wolf's appears to be mostly straight and slightly tapered. V's was a tapered and angled belt, which sits higher on the person's back held up by support hooks through the doublet side seams, angles down the sides and is 1 inch thinner at the belt opening. It functions just like any belt that uses these types of buckles.
classic-square-belt-buckles.jpg

This is a thread about V wigs, so, being happy with the one I have for my wip V, I recommend this one from WiWigs UK. Its a very nice "kanekalon" wig, has a full fringe, little trimming needed and isn't long. It has also gone down $5 than what I paid for mine. You may even find it cheaper if you buy from their ebay store.

J EM,
what a lovely new avatar you have there! It's your happy face, right? :)
yes. You should get an avatar.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back