What's the safest substance to remove spray paint from resin?

Quake II

I want to strip a prop of all paint and start over from scratch. It's coated with several layers of spray paint (the cheap .96 Wal Mart brand that sticks). What should I use to strip it all off without damaging the resin prop. Would regular paint thinner work? Something from Home Depot would be great. Thanks!

Try Easy off first. Then you could try Never Dull. Last resort (use with caution!) Lacquer thinner. It's the most aggressive, but it's solvent based, and it could soak into the resin.

I recently used Easy-Off oven cleaner on an old piece which had gobs of paint on it. I sprayed it and sealed it in a tupperware for about 20 minutes the scrubbed it off.

After the third application it came out as paint free as the day I bought it.

Ditto on the Easy Off/Caustic Soda. That stuff is my paint remover of choice for resin and plastic. I've saved many 30 year old robot kits that way.

I have been wondering if Easy-Off was ok to use on resin. I was afraid to try it and melt the prop I wanted to strip. Now I know thanks to you all. :)

Thanks. I've heard that Easy Off works well but is fairly toxic.... I've also heard that Simple Green works well. I don't want to do to much heavy scrubbing since some parts of this are a bit fragile. I read somewhere that Simple Green takes longer but isn't toxic? I've done some research and decided NOT to use paint thinner.

Thanks. I've heard that Easy Off works well but is fairly toxic.... I've also heard that Simple Green works well. I don't want to do to much heavy scrubbing since some parts of this are a bit fragile. I read somewhere that Simple Green takes longer but isn't toxic? I've done some research and decided NOT to use paint thinner.

East Off. I use Easy Off fume free lemon scent. My wife doesn't complain about any fumes so it must be okay. :lol

Simple Green. It works but can take days. I prefer that on finer detailed pieces.

Either of the above and an old toothbrush and you're set.

I'm not real impressed with Easy-Off. It works good on some things but not too good on some.
I have a Evel Knievel motorcycle that I had painted when I was young, I mean back in the mid 70's with Testors enamel paint. It took almost 2 weeks to get about 80% of the paint off.

However, I did use it to strip the paint from a resin EM-33 phase pistol I got from a member here and it cleaned it up real nice. Didn't attack the resin at all. Only too a few hours!!

Kenny

DOT3 brake fluid works great if you have a few days to soak it. It's cheap wont damage plastic or resin and wont harm fine details also no smell. This is a trick that I have been using since a kid. The paint will fall right off. If not soak it a bit longer. This will work for all types of paint. Some soak times may take more or less time depending on the type of paint and how many coats. I know it sounds crazy but trust me it works. 3 to 7 days = a perfectly striped part with no damage or scrubbing. I have tried a lot of other methods including the ones mentioned and this is still my favorite.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back