The Definitive Dredd 2012 Helmet Research Thread

Zendragon

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
The judge helmet is one of the most iconic parts to the judge uniform. Especially Judge Dredd.
His helmet obscures all of his face, except for his mouth and jaw.

Dredd's entire face is never shown properly in the strip. This custom began as an unofficial guideline, but soon became a rule which artists were required to follow. As John Wagner explained: "It sums up the facelessness of justice − justice has no soul. So it isn't necessary for readers to see Dredd's face, and I don't want you to." Judge Dredd - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sculptor Edmund Woodward had posted the following on his site:

301052_10152139486650226_704096539_n.jpg

picture_41.png

picture_42.png

picture_43.png

I am planning to have a whole "stuck" list of costume elements which will include photos from screen used props, measurements, and other resources to assist everyone in replicating an accurate Judge costume

If people have screen used prop photos, measurements, or anything else useful to replicating this helmet, please chime in and share. Thanks!!

Last edited:
These are extremely helpful pics as I have just started a scratch build of the helmet and I'm not using PEP files. I expect my helmet will be slightly smaller and closer fitting than the original but like many folks, I feel the screen helmet is a touch oversized for my taste and maybe that is to accommodate other judges larger noggins, more padding in stunt helmets, etc. . Or maybe they just liked the look. Whatever the reason, I'm not concerned as much about screen accuracy as appearance and workmanship. Most have probably seen the shot in the DVD special features section with the line of helmets in a variety of stages of finish. That is also a helpful view. Thanks again for helping us on a journey that , in my case, has just begun.

Great idea having these threads , could I just say the clay sculpt does have the two top lines either side of the badge missing. So could be a little misleading .

Photos from inside of the hall of justice guards helmets

The padding is in two parts the head cap and a rap around

The cap
Is 2 types of fabric
1st a ribbed black fabric with grey foam backing
2nd is a light foam very soft
20130218_222525_zps0ab661f5.jpg

20130218_221629_zps4d333667.jpg

The rap around
Is made up of 3 types of fabric and has to raised areas where your ears will go (2nd)
1st ribbed black fabric line with grey foam backing
2nd is a light foam very soft
3rd is a hard grey foam

20130218_220315_zpsa23abf4f.jpg

20130218_221842_zps4a014729.jpg

20130218_220151_zps4f098985.jpg

Kapow7, is there any chance you would share the length (from front to back) and width of the helmet for us scratchbuilders? measured at the bottom like in your last picture when you're looking into the helmet. Been working on mine for weeks and weeks now and thought I could see the finish line and now, because of your pic, I can see the helmet is an oval shape and not a wide "fattened" pill shape like I'd assumed from all the pics I've currently been using. I have a massive gigantic fat sad face right now, lol.

Kapow7, is there any chance you would share the length (from front to back) and width of the helmet for us scratchbuilders? measured at the bottom like in your last picture when you're looking into the helmet. Been working on mine for weeks and weeks now and thought I could see the finish line and now, because of your pic, I can see the helmet is an oval shape and not a wide "fattened" pill shape like I'd assumed from all the pics I've currently been using. I have a massive gigantic fat sad face right now, lol.

Seconded please

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back