The Definitive Dredd 2012 Helmet Research Thread

Well...I've asked different owners of screen used helmets to give us dimensions of the helmets.....diameter, circumference, height, width and height of shield, etc.. To date ( my first request was about 3 or 4 weeks ago) I have yet to get any kind of response. I don't know if people want to tease us and disappear never to read our questions, if they don't care what our problems are, or they don't have a tape measure. Doesn't seem an unreasonable request but it has yet to happen. Pictures are great but without scale they are a limited help. One last time....Could someone who is of average helpfulness, and doesn't care about his own selfish desire to cast and sell helmets first and foremost, please supply the critical dimensions? It is too late for my purposes, since My helmet is well beyond making adjustments.....I gave up waiting for the inconsiderate to respond. If you have any sense of belonging to an organization that should exist for the greater good and to help others in their quest for excellence. Please take measurements of your prop helmet and post them!:angry

Just realized that the sculptors photos do not show any relief lines from front to back nor any rear shots of the raw helmet. Does anyone know of a clear shot of the back side and maybe the top ,which might give an idea of the convergence or divergence of those parallel lines which are obvious on the painted, finished helmet?:confused

Just realized that the sculptors photos do not show any relief lines from front to back nor any rear shots of the raw helmet. Does anyone know of a clear shot of the back side and maybe the top ,which might give an idea of the convergence or divergence of those parallel lines which are obvious on the painted, finished helmet?:confused

There were some good shots of an unpainted prototype helmet in the propstore auctions... I used those as a reference on mine.

I saved most of the auction pics... hopefully no-one minds me posting them up to flickr to help with builds:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tk7602/sets/72157632828766033

Well...I've asked different owners of screen used helmets to give us dimensions of the helmets.....diameter, circumference, height, width and height of shield, etc.. Please take measurements of your prop helmet and post them!

I have the same request. Does anyone have the dimensions for the helmet?

Okay, folks, I finally have a basis to report some figures and make a few observations. I have finished my kit from JB Replicas of a cast from a Dredd prop helmet and I have the required measurements for you. First a caution....this helmet was never actually used on screen and even if a clone of this helmet was used, it may not be typical in size or shape. I've already identified a couple differences in Dredd's helmet, from mine. I suspect there were multiple sizes made and I don't think they scaled these from a standard set of dimensions or digital scan. I believe these were each sculpted as bucks with their own unique character. I say this because I've noted that even the promo pic of Dredd on the Bluray cover, may be of him wearing one helmet, while the large pic of him from the movie on the reverse side has another. The most obvious two issues defining the difference in my helmet is that the crown profile of the curvature of the helmet top, as viewed from the front, is that my helmet has a perfect arc radius of a typical helmet shape. Pictures comparing the curvature of the top of Dredd's helmet show a slight flattening of the curve as it rounds the top where the "mohawk" is centered. To call it more squared off, relative to mine is the only way I can describe it. It is subtle but evident. The brow X is more than 90 degrees spread on Dredd's and slightly shorter than mine, which is close to 90 degrees. I judged the length difference based upon where the bottom of the visor falls relative to the width of the X tips and their distance to the visor bottom. I would also remark that this helmet would fit many, but not all people. Sorry, I'm not great at adding attachments or diagramming in the computer, so you'll have to make sense of the dimensions as best you can: Width at widest; 8", length at widest;9 1/2 ". The bottom opening is oval in shape, the dimension front to back is the same as the overall but he width is about 7 1/2" . Keep in mind that the back of the helmet slants inward at the base as viewed from the side,as well as from the back. This helmet is about 1/4" thick and will fit a 24" head with added padding....much larger heads will want to up-size accordingly. The widest outside circumference is 28". I hope this helps those people, like myself, who have patiently waited for someone to help with this important information.....finally!:) Oops, almost forgot the height is about 9 1/4".

Last edited:
I am finally able to offer something definitive to this Definitive Helmet Research Thread:

DREDD HELMETS FROM THE MOVIE - OVERVIEW

Here is a collection of knowledge about all of the helmets from Dredd 2012 based on fan observations and on discussions from the crew. Wherever possible, quotes have been dated and attributed. Some crew members have weighed in publicly, some privately. Obviously, input from the people who actually worked on the movie carries a lot of weight, but remember that these folks worked on the movie several years ago, and memories are not perfect.

Note: For the purposes of this document, we will not be discussing the prototype helmets that were created and rejected prior to the start of production, but you can see a photos of them here:
http://www.propstore.com/img/products/2310/Proto003a.jpg
and here:
http://www.empireonline.com/images/image_index/height200/67811.jpg

----

There are currently THREE known sizes of helmet from the movie. Two male and one female. We'll go over the female helmet first, since there is much less info to cover about that one.

The female helmet was worn by Judge Kaplan and by Anderson (briefly). This helmet had only one master mold. It was a very small helmet. To quote a crewmember: "Olivia's got a tiny head".
There were some female helmets sold in the Propstore auction, but to date, no one has offered any screen-cast replicas for sale.

The male helmet originally had one master mold. This was the one used for all of the male judges (including Dredd), as well as the Hall Of Justice security guards. Several helmets of this size were sold in the Propstore auction. One of them was bought by Steve Noden who has cast replicas which many fans have bought. For that reason, this helmet is sometimes referred to as the "Noden" helmet. (It should be noted that the Steve Noden helmet did not come with a helmet badge/crest and so the helmet badge on it is fan-sculpted).

At some point during filming, a second male helmet mold was made. This was done by simply cutting strips out of the standard male helmet, and gluing the thing back together to create a slightly smaller helmet. This was done because fan reaction to the size of Dredd's helmet in the first photos released from the movie had been so negative. A mold from this cut-down helmet was made, and at least three helmets were cast. (Two were sold as unfinished helmets in the Propstore auction, and at least one finished helmet was made).
The two unfinished versions of this smaller helmet were purchased by Joe Browning and he has made a cast available through his company JBReplicas. For that reason, this helmet is sometimes referred to as the JBR helmet.
There was some debate as to the very existence of this smaller male helmet for a while, but the above information has now been verified. The only thing that has not been verified is whether or not Karl Urban ever wears it in the film. What IS certain, is that Karl wears the larger helmet (the Noden helmet) in most or all of the movie. But it is possible that the smaller helmet (the JBR) appears in a few shots - the shootout with Lex, for example. And, while not yet verified, many people are convinced that Karl is wearing the smaller helmet in the series of in-studio publicity photos. Example here:
Tutte le dimensioni |irQwb | Flickr ? Condivisione di foto!

The Noden helmet is currently still available via Facebook. The JBR is being offered on both Facebook and TheRPF.com (the JBR helmet was sold by Propstore without a helmet badge, so that helmet has a fan-made badge as well).

Here are some relevant crew member quotes regarding the information above:
First Daniel Carey-George (of Planet Replicas) quoted a source from the production back in 2012 who worked directly on the costume:
"and there are two sizes in the film...of dredds
one in the first half and a slightly cut down one of ours after all the helmet bashing"

Because this quote says "in the film" it leads us to believe that the cut-down (JBR) helmet may have seen a bit of screen time.

The same source went on to be more specific about how much was cut out of the helmet:
"there is not much in it at all. 2 cm at the side and 2 cmm out of the back.....done badly as well but i spoze they were under some pressure"....

Michael Van Kesteren (who did weapons on the movie, including the big gatling guns) weighed in on Facebook on May 31st of 2012:
"Okay guys, I've been asking some of my mates who worked on the movie. We took a full sized one (the larger one) and cut it up, reshaped it (fill, sand, repeat) to create the smaller sized one for Karl. At the last minute it was then reverted back to the original. According to the props master."

When asked whether or not the JBR ever appeared onscreen, Michael then responded:

"From what I understand (they never let me near set), they used the big one (much to Karl's chagrin, by the way) for the movie. But it did then give us an intermediate scale."

If further information comes forward, I will add it to this document.

Helmet paint etc.:

Per Rob Allsopp and Chris Jack (Dredd propmakers):
(paraphrased to condense)
The helmet is gloss black, with gloss red trim. After painting, there was a lot of breakdown/weathering work.
The exact color of red was a custom mix. The helmet badge was cold cast brass (with brass powder throughout the resin). It was then finished with a combination of buffing (to shine the metal powder), black paint, graphite polish, and french enamel varnish.

Note: Though the red paint was a custom mix, very close matches to the color are out there. (see the paint resource guide document in the Judge Dredd DragonCon Facebook group "files" section): https://www.facebook.com/groups/DreddCostumeGroup.DragonCon2013/doc/483929421675305/

Can I just add that I've noticed throughout the film that Urbans nose sits in two distinctly different places relative to his visor. Half the time the tip of his nose is behind the visor and hardly visible, and the other half of the time the end of his nose is clearly visible and the visor looks like it's resting on the tip of his nose. The change is too big to just be a result of the helmet sitting differently, it's blatantly two separate sizes.

Can I just add that I've noticed throughout the film that Urbans nose sits in two distinctly different places relative to his visor. Half the time the tip of his nose is behind the visor and hardly visible, and the other half of the time the end of his nose is clearly visible and the visor looks like it's resting on the tip of his nose. The change is too big to just be a result of the helmet sitting differently, it's blatantly two separate sizes.

I have also noticed this

It could be a different helmet size, or it could be the same helmet size with the visor installed differently. The visors were not custom, they were off-the-shelf motorcycle visors cut down and stuck into the helmets. It is very likely that the placement on the visors was not exactly the same.

Very helpful and enlightening and helps explain the inconsistencies in our observations. By the way, I tried to find Urban's hat size for reference and found no info on his fan sites or from the maker of the hat he wore as Black Hat in Priest. Anyone who knows this....it might be relevant.

Further to my previous post, some photos to back it up -

The large helmet -

big3.jpgbig2.jpgbig.jpg

and the smaller one -

small2.jpgsmall1.jpg

Further to my previous post, some photos to back it up -

The large helmet -

View attachment 203843View attachment 203844View attachment 203845

and the smaller one -

View attachment 203846View attachment 203847

Thanks for posting the pics. But as I said before, I believe there were multiple helmets for Karl to wear (multiples of the same large size I mean) and the visors may not all have been put perfectly in the same place.
HOWEVER, the last two photos you posted (of what you believe is the smaller helmet) are from the shootout with Lex. This IS the scene where some of us believe he may be wearing the JBR helmet. I guess what I'm trying to say is, you might be right, but I don't think the visor is the smoking gun we're looking for based on the reasons above.
The width of the large helmet straight on is noticeably wider than the JBR helmet straight on. A straight on shot of each side by side could be helpful. Maybe the scene when Dredd is shot and sitting against the wall compared with one of the head-on shots in the early slomo shootout?

For reference, this is a shot that I'm 99% convinced is the JBR helmet, so it's a good one to compare width with:
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8371/8499081426_bb8ebe01ba_b.jpg

And here is one showing the wider, standard helmet:
Tutte le dimensioni |2190851-1_dredd | Flickr ? Condivisione di foto!

Almost the exact same angle in those shots, and visor placement looks basically the same, but the first shot shows a skinnier helmet to my eyes. Now we just need to find it in the movie.

Your photo's do indeed look like two different helmets, but is not your 'JBR' photo a publicity shot and not a shot from the film? Has anyone tried emailing DNA/Rebellion/whoever and seeing if there is actually anyone willing to give an official version of events?

Yes, the photo I linked to is a publicity shot, so we are still waiting to get confirmation whether or not the JBR was ever actually worn in the movie.
The official version of the events so far is listed in my lengthy post above. I am in touch with several members of the crew, but there are a few more who need to chime in before we know for sure. I will reach out to them some more (but without nagging them) as I plan to get to the bottom of it eventually. Part of the problem is that this was a low budget movie filmed several years ago, with props made both in the UK and in South Africa. Most people who worked on it have worked on many other projects since and we're just going on their best recollections.

With as enthusiastic as we all are about this project, sometimes you forget that it was basically a low-budg indie movie with crap marketing that wasn't really expecting the popularity it got after it hit Bluray.

A lot of these guys probably never thought anyone would ask them to remember these details.

For the majority of folks having casts of either helmet ....the important thing is how does it look on your own head relevant to the actors on screen. If you are smaller in stature, you'll look more accurate with the smaller helmet. On the other hand, as another member of considerable size learned after trying on the JB helmet, it can look absurd on a bigger person. Still am wondering about Urban's hat size.

So it`s not Judge Dredd its the remake, hated the remake Loved the original.. As I`m sure some people hate star wars and a few choice other films I enjoy.. Love the community glad it covers all fandom, not just the basic 2-3. Love that RPF is getting bigger and more groups are forming.. I may be late on it but i`ve been off site for at least 2 months :p even though I didn't like the remake I looooove watching you guys create. I live through your posts :) and I know a lot of great work begins in these threads can`t wait to creep in the background and check out all the hard work you awesome people come up with.

All I know is that having a JBR on hand...Karl has a really small head lol Maybe I'm too damn big

Anyways, yea, I'll concurr that the publicity shots are the same as the JBR. Comparing it to (my former) the helmet I have been working on, it's clearly from the same molds. The curve of the dome to the sides are almost perfectly round while the larger ones still appear flatter.

Hmmph, well I need to scuff up the lower rim of the helmet now. Great reference for the weathering

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back