Man of Steel Replica WIP (New lighter blue V2 teaser sample )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice man. I imagine getting the stencil onto the "belt" will be a pain. Also, I'm down for the dark/movie blue out of the 3 choices.

Re: Man of Steel pattern & Costume WIP (Puffy Paint Stretch TEst )

does anyone have pictures of their suits? i'd love to see how one actually looks on someone. also i think people are misinterpreting what the costume designer has said about the suit. on none of the pictures does it appear to be a blue mesh over a silver suit. the mesh being referred to is the chainmail. the silver muscle suit being mentioned is actually just silver highlights painted on the blue body suit to help highlight and define the rubber muscles worn underneath.

Superman_2013.jpgThis was my first attempt at using Eldon's stencil. I design and draft patterns for a living and this one does have a few structural issues (especially with the boots)...nothing that cannot be worked around. I replaced the stencil with stretch leather and used an embroidered "S" to give it depth. Okay for a first try, but did not like working around the pre-printed design. For a basic suit, this one's okay.

Looks great so far! Only thing I would suggest is in the belt area the belt should sit higher up closer to the top of the center buckle area instead of lower.
Example of it being a bit higher up.
man-of-steel-screen-used-costume-680.jpg
Hope that helps! Can't wait to see the finished product!

Hey great job on the suit
by the way do you know how i can get a male muscle base pattern template, it will help with a dye sub pattern I want to make
Thanks

Nice man. I imagine getting the stencil onto the "belt" will be a pain. Also, I'm down for the dark/movie blue out of the 3 choices.

it was but i thing we got it down, still not 100% on the belt but looks good thus far

View attachment 234074This was my first attempt at using Eldon's stencil. I design and draft patterns for a living and this one does have a few structural issues (especially with the boots)...nothing that cannot be worked around. I replaced the stencil with stretch leather and used an embroidered "S" to give it depth. Okay for a first try, but did not like working around the pre-printed design. For a basic suit, this one's okay.
you did a great job with that print buddy it was one of my favorites

Looks Great!!!!!
thanks bud
PM sent checking status of suit. Thanks
PM replied
pics coming soon of the progress of my suit
Some PIcs Sent your way
Looks great so far! Only thing I would suggest is in the belt area the belt should sit higher up closer to the top of the center buckle area instead of lower.
Example of it being a bit higher up.
View attachment 235095
Hope that helps! Can't wait to see the finished product!
awesome thanks for the pictures
Hey great job on the suit
by the way do you know how i can get a male muscle base pattern template, it will help with a dye sub pattern I want to make
Thanks

check out 4neodesigns.com or contact sanjou he has a great base to start with really helped me put very detailed aswell

Last edited:
eldonnaty, I sent you a PM a few days ago about the MoS suit, did you receive it? I know you're really busy with all the production work you are currently doing, but I had some questions for you.

Sent ya a PM there buddy. Hope to hear from ya soon. Can't wait to see the final product. Everythings looking amazing thus far! :D

Is this cape fabric correct? I haven't seen the original screen used suit, but this cape seems thinner or less full I guess.

Re: Man of Steel Replica WIP (New Darker V2 Pictures )

quick question, how are you guys achieving the raised pattern on the glissnet upper fabric? I'm guessing a gel medium via silk screening?

cheers.
Nobody's using glissnet for these replica suits. These results are from puff paint applied with a stencil, on top of dye-sublimation printed lycra.

Nobody's using glissnet for these replica suits. These results are from puff paint applied with a stencil, on top of dye-sublimation printed lycra.

Ahhhh, alrighty then. I've seen puff paint come in spray form but my guess would be this is applied by hand using a printed stencil as a mask?

And no one has done a full on silver spandex base, glissnet upper?

Cheers again for the info, it's much appreciated.

Ahhhh, alrighty then. I've seen puff paint come in spray form but my guess would be this is applied by hand using a printed stencil as a mask?
Essentially yes, eldonnaty hasn't shown the process explicitly with any degree of detail, but he's using a precision cut stencil to make applying the puff paint repeatable and consistent.

And no one has done a full on silver spandex base, glissnet upper?
No, because nobody's found a source for glissnet in blue. I've been looking into it.
...eldonnaty DOES offer a full on silver spandex base, which you can see a few pages back. Which, while admirable, still wouldn't quite result in the same look as the film suits, because the point of the reflective base is to highlight and emphasize the extreme curves and edges of musculature that spandex always rides on top of, smooths over, and fails to show. It's combating the tendencies of spandex, so it can't be replaced with spandex. The reflective layer isn't just there to shine metallic in the light, it's there to create the various interior shadows against the transparent fabric layer that makes visible the kind of anatomy that normal spandex makes invisible.

Forgive the somewhat racy aspect of the example, but it's similar to the way translucent dark nylons enhance the visibility of the curves and shapes and anatomy of a woman's legs, whereas that translucent effect would not work as well if the woman had a pair of opaque leggings on underneath. Her skin is no more reflective than the legging material, but it has more complex surface contours than the spandex that just rides from high point to high point. The enhancing aspect of translucent fabric is only apparent when the light-permeable layer sits directly on top of the anatomy in question. Having the anatomy be a reflective metallic enhances the effect in a steely way that makes it look like otherworldly armor, but since people don't have reflective skin, a molded muscle layer that retained all the crevices and valleys and bulges of the intended muscular anatomy and could be colored a reflective metallic was used to butt up against the fabric layer instead.

But I digress.

Cheers again for the info, it's much appreciated.
Welcome.

Essentially yes, eldonnaty hasn't shown the process explicitly with any degree of detail, but he's using a precision cut stencil to make applying the puff paint repeatable and consistent.

No, because nobody's found a source for glissnet in blue. I've been looking into it.
...eldonnaty DOES offer a full on silver spandex base, which you can see a few pages back. Which, while admirable, still wouldn't quite result in the same look as the film suits, because the point of the reflective base is to highlight and emphasize the extreme curves and edges of musculature that spandex always rides on top of, smooths over, and fails to show. It's combating the tendencies of spandex, so it can't be replaced with spandex. The reflective layer isn't just there to shine metallic in the light, it's there to create the various interior shadows against the transparent fabric layer that makes visible the kind of anatomy that normal spandex makes invisible.

Forgive the somewhat racy aspect of the example, but it's similar to the way translucent dark nylons enhance the visibility of the curves and shapes and anatomy of a woman's legs, whereas that translucent effect would not work as well if the woman had a pair of opaque leggings on underneath. Her skin is no more reflective than the legging material, but it has more complex surface contours than the spandex that just rides from high point to high point. The enhancing aspect of translucent fabric is only apparent when the light-permeable layer sits directly on top of the anatomy in question. Having the anatomy be a reflective metallic enhances the effect in a steely way that makes it look like otherworldly armor, but since people don't have reflective skin, a molded muscle layer that retained all the crevices and valleys and bulges of the intended muscular anatomy and could be colored a reflective metallic was used to butt up against the fabric layer instead.

But I digress.

Welcome.

since you guys are awesome (5 yards of the cobalt blue on order and 2 yards of red):

Fulton's Trim: Glissnet Shear Lycra

2013-10-03_1710.png

since you guys are awesome (5 yards of the cobalt blue on order and 2 yards of red):

Fulton's Trim: Glissnet Shear Lycra

View attachment 238808
Well heck, that's a great resource! Can only seem to find Royal Blue in the dropdown menu, however.
And boy howdy, that's a lot of fabric. You should need less than 3 yards for a body suit and less than 1 yard for boots. You'll certainly have plenty to work with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back