$185 R2D2

pyxl

First, let me say that I know there have been many many R2D2 builds. I also know that my $185 may sound like a lie when I tell you I built almost all of him using a cnc machine. I defend that by saying the cnc machine is for my business and wasn't purchased just so I could build one (that's the story I'll defend to my wife and you all). If every builder included the cost of tools they have....well....anyway. I love but cannot currently afford many of the parts available from builders...so I resorted to building it all myself except for some spare wheels I had in the shop, and the plumbing hose for his feet. As I make signs, I have lots of scrap pvc plastic sheeting in varying thicknesses...as well as HDU scraps (High Density Urethane).

He's far far from perfectly accurate, and my pink foam and bondo dome is not likely to be permanent, but here he is. I started 4 weeks ago...had 1 week with progress as I was painting a mural...and completed the rest here and there between jobs.

r2d2weathered.jpg

I built many many parts based on pieces from a good sketchup model. I imported them as .stl models into my carving application and carved them in two pieces then assembled them. $30 of my budget went for a wireless blue tooth speaker that I can send sound effects to via a blue tooth iTouch.

I posted most of my build at Haffner Signs Journal

Thanks! I guess I should have explained: The bulk of the cost was for things like industrial super glue, a spray adhesive for foam, paint, 1 sheet of 1/8" pvc 4' x 8' I didn't have as scrap, a sheet of 2" pink foam, the wireless bluetooth speaker, the air hose connectors I converted to hose connectors for his feet, some 5 minute epoxy.

Here he is before I weathered him.

r2complete.jpg

Here's a shot of a bunch of pieces during the build.
r2parts2.jpg

When are you putting an interest list in the junkyard. :love :love

I would buy one in a heart beat. Given enough time to save up :thumbsup :thumbsup

That is incredible work.

The domes are not to expensive but when you start adding it up holy cow R2 gets pricey fast.

Do you think you could put together a kit and offer it???????????

Obviously it would be more than $185 as that does not take into account your time but wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

great looking droid....the dome u made looks fantastic.....im so jealous-I spent months making my droid with a ruler and xacto knife...where as a cnc machine takes minutes !

When are you putting an interest list in the junkyard. :love :love

I would buy one in a heart beat. Given enough time to save up :thumbsup :thumbsup

That is incredible work.

The domes are not to expensive but when you start adding it up holy cow R2 gets pricey fast.

Do you think you could put together a kit and offer it???????????

Obviously it would be more than $185 as that does not take into account your time but wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Seriously, a kit would be awesome.

The weathering looks great. I wish you could make one for me but the postage would probably cost more than making it. And you made it so quickly too.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back