Y-Wing Scratch Build.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ray22

Sr Member
Okay here is an exercise in between my builds how do you take a break from a build? you start another one, I know it makes no sense. I wanted to do a Y-Wing but smaller than studio scale and completely form scratch no kit parts, I know I heard a Gasp in the background from the S.S. purists Lol. It's to show you can make a decent replica without spending hundreds or even thousands of dollars and years of your life tracking down the parts. What you see here was made from scraps in the scrap box. We don't need no stinking kit parts! Lol so here is 4 days into the build I have pretty muct the main shapes made so here we go on another adventure down maddness Lane!
IMG_20130208_130400_zps64579bf2.jpg

IMG_20130208_164029_zps34bdca44.jpg

IMG_20130209_173355_zps5ddb1825.jpg

IMG_20130209_220640_zps1cc780c2.jpg

IMG_20130210_203632_zps42667acf.jpg

IMG_20130210_220903_zps6d5c32f8.jpg

IMG_20130210_221149_zpsffdfb07d.jpg

IMG_20130211_122237_zps09ef5508.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Not quite Studio scale Y-Wing Build

Very cool build! I wish I had your "pile of scraps".

Jeez, Ray! You got some big scraps! :lol

Gotta' say that's pretty cool as usual! Looking forward to this one!
Dave

Looking forward to the detailing now that most
of the hard work is done....looking good Ray.:thumbsup

Looks awesome Ray. I agree you can have fun without the need for costly donors, heres my scratch from around 8 years ago, i just made it out of styrene skinned Balsa, added various mount points, and threw a load of mixed parts on it, the onlly parts that were correct were the engine cans i think.
I got bored though of it though, wasn't accurate, and i craved that, horses for courses, but you can't deny, its not fun :).

lee
ywing026.jpg

ywing023.jpg

memcard09-05046-1.jpg

Hey Lee I have to say that Ywing does look nice you have the basic shape down, what scale was it? Just got back from the doctor and she said I need to take a week off from building stuff because I broke out in a very bad rash possibly from the dust and materials she put me on steroids and some topical creams and did two separate biopsies cutting some skin samples :( here is the canopy I started last night it has the shape but just eyeballing it, it seems a tad high will need to cut a few mm off the bottom so it will look right.

Last edited:

Y-Wing's looking great Ray! Sorry about the rash, ouch! Hope it clears up quickly.

Your Y looks good too ralphee, you should finish it.

Hey Robn thanks bud feeling a little better squeezed in a little work on the "Y" today started cutting out the windows still need to adjust them and add some thickness around them to give it that depth look. Also adding the raised block details on the neck section this part is tricky because it's hard to find good shots of this part without it being covered up with kit parts so close enough will be good enough here are a few pics .

Looking forward to this, Ray! And wow, Lee, that's one heck of a scratchbuild!

Cheers buddy, its long gone now, i dont do general builds anymore, prefer depicting studio props, hence i gave up, but, it does show i do scratchbuild when the mood takes me!
Anyhoo, back to Rays thread!!!!

Lee

Okay I need nacelles for this bird but I can't use the 1/444 scale Saturn V rocket because this model is smaller the rockets are like 8mm smaller in diameter so I couldn't find some PVC and even an aluminum one would be to heavy so I said I can scratch one. Yes I scratched the rocket cylinder first I made a top, middle and bottom section and then a cross tee to run the whole length of it. After that I scored sections of styrene so they could bend over the frame, sanded it and then applied a coat of Bondo, more sanding then a coat of primer and BAM! one engine pattern I will add the ribbed sections that wrap around the front and back and the two rods that run along it after that I will mold it for my second one, I'm not doing another by hand agan No Way! :lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Not quite Studio scale, Y-Wing ScratchBuild.

Okay we are getting into the fun part the detailing, but not so fun when your scratching like 95-98% of the stuff hard but not impossible, we like a challenge. So now the flat surfaces are starting to look different.
IMG_20130219_094638_zps6617028d.jpg

IMG_20130219_095403_zps1560eaac.jpg

IMG_20130219_140737_zps5a5d88a6.jpg

IMG_20130219_140757_zps5830701a.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back