Rubbertoe Replicas launches with screen accurate Doctor Who props!

I received my cube today - I love it!
Very nice that the time was taken to develop the nice gift box it came in and it has a gorgeous heft to it.
Though expensive, I am proud to have supported the propmaker.
Pics coming soon...

Did anyone ever confirm the dimensions of the screen-accurate cube? I does look like about three or maybe a bit more inches.

Hey, Rubbertoe will be at Doctor Who 50th Anniversary convention next week end in London. We will have the usual selection of stock with us plus all the new products recently released. Also on the Sunday we will be unavailing two new props that feature in the 50th episode.

Some new things we released this week-

IMG_0059.jpgMiniature TARDIS Door.jpgTARDIS Door 3 sizes.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, Rubbertoe will be at Doctor Who 50th Anniversary convention next week end in London. We will have the usual selection of stock with us plus all the new products recently released. Also on the Sunday we will be unavailing two new props that feature in the 50th episode.

Some new thing we released this week-

View attachment 255702View attachment 255703View attachment 255704

I'll be sure to stop by. I'm there on the Saturday so I'm disappointed I won't get to see the two new props.. No Vortex Manipulator then? Oh well, at least my bank balance will be safe for a bit longer!

Will you be bringing some your watches?

Will you be bringing some your watches?[/QUOTE]

Yup, watches will be with us. No black ones though as we don't have time to make any up. It's a bit bonkers around here at the moment with making all the products and trying to organise a 4 day convention trip to London.

No Vortex Manipulator then?

He never said that, and based on the trailers it might be possible (unless my eyes were deceiving me) that a Vortex Manipulator plays a role in the 50th.

...but I guess we'll just have to wait and see. I know I'm excited!

-Nick

Got my newest toy today - the Vortex Manipulator. Having never seen the original prop (yes, Nick Robatto didn’t make the original, just the one in the Day of the Doctor, but I imagine it’s pretty close to the original!), I was amazed at how big it is - to the point of me looking slightly ridiculous whilst wearing it. Granted, I’m quite the shorty but I was still surprised - I’d say it’s around twice the size of the CO toy. Unlike the CO toy, there’s no risk of cosplayers getting the sweaty, itchy wrists (My God this post sounds so dirty out of context!) that goes hand in hand with the plastic toy. The leather soft and very comfortable, and I'm very glad they included the LED (which just made the Sonic Blaster feel incomplete to me!).
The only minor complaint I have is that I would’ve preferred if the three buttons were all functional, rather than having one miniature button to activate the LED on top of one of the three ‘fake’ buttons which are sculpted rather than separate pieces.

I cosplayed for the first time during the Celebration in November as Jack and it was at this point I met Nick. As it was the Saturday, Nick was not yet allowed to reveal what he would be announcing the next day but after saying to him “If it’s the vortex manipulator I’ll give you the money right now”, he was kind enough to give me a sneak peak. After briefly discussing limited edition numbers, I jokingly said “I take it number one is spoken for” to which he replied “No…you’re the very first person we’ve showed this too”. My heart skipped a beat, and Nick’s lovely wife Kath took my details with the promise of limited Edition number 1! Rock on!

Imagine my disappointment later on when I was found out they had decided to change their mind and instead give Number 1 to a certain Mr Barrowman. Pretty gutting. Wouldn’t have minded if they’d told me at the time it was reserved for him, but having it ‘assigned’ to me then being taken away again was a right kick in the teeth. I know people will think I’m being petty and that I’m incredibly lucky to have number 2, but I can’t help but lose a bit of respect for anyone who goes back on their word. But they’ve got a business to run and if that’s what it takes to get Barrowman to sign their plaques then so be it. They’ve got to make as much money as they can. There’s no point in holding a grudge and although the Vortex Manipulator was my *must have* replica, I can’t say that such a petty thing will stop me from doing business with them in the future. Possibly not til they manage to prize the screwdriver license from QMX though…

Anyway, here’s some pics...

A work in progress Jack display. Any ideas what else could go in there?

I'd be all over a vortex manipulator if I hadn't just bought an AbbyShot frock coat, this little hobby is getting expensive.

Hi there, I'm thinking about getting myself a 12th Doctor Sonic from Robbertoe, so I thought I'd resurrect this thread. I'd like to find out how the resell value of these replicas is.
I got the 10th and 11th Sonic from Wand Company and they are perfectly fine for me. Not absolutely accurate, but good enough and they have the nice remote function. Now I'd like to add the 12th Sonic to my collection. Wand isn't doing one, the CO toy just doesn't work for me, so there is only the Rubbertoe one left (unless you can point me to other options?)

But... as beautiful as it is, 1100 EUR is just incredibly much money for me. Especially for something that I'll just put on a shelf and admire. So I ask myself, what happens if for one reason or another I have to sell it again.
It seems that people don't often part with their replicas, there is very little used sales to find. So what do you think? Does the worth of a used Sonic Replica drop by half the moment I open the box? Or might I be able to sell it with only minimal loss, like 100 GBP under the official price? They are now selling #150 of a run of 500, so it might take a couple of years for all 500 to sell, but might the price for used items even rise once the run is finished?

As I said, I couldn't find many used rubbertoe items in the market, but perhaps you have more experience with this kind of thing and can help me out?

I've picked up a pre owned rubbertoe sonic for around 600 USD. But that being said, the market is flooded with good high quality replicas of that sonic. There are currently no othet versions of the 12th if that helps any. If that remains to be the case, it very well may hold its resale value, or at least minimize loss. I will say this, while it is pricey, i am very happy with mine an will say its worth every penny.

I've picked up a pre owned rubbertoe sonic for around 600 USD. But that being said, the market is flooded with good high quality replicas of that sonic. There are currently no othet versions of the 12th if that helps any. If that remains to be the case, it very well may hold its resale value, or at least minimize loss. I will say this, while it is pricey, i am very happy with mine an will say its worth every penny.

Yes ,I believe these Sonics only increase in value, especially because they are made in limited numbers, these replicas are more of an investment than a purchase as they are not just replicas they are made by the same man who makes them for the doctor himself !
I have just purchased the 4th doctors sonic from rubbertoe and although I have not yet recieved it I will say it looks like it will be worth every penny

I will say this, while it is pricey, i am very happy with mine an will say its worth every penny.

Thanks guys. This is what I read from everyone who owns one. At first I wanted to wait and see if something used might appear in the next month, but after a nice chat with Nick I ordered one.

Been rewatching a couple of episodes lately. Does the screen used prop have a white setting? It seems so when the Sonic is used as a torch. Or is that just bright blue?

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back