Rubbertoe Replicas launches with screen accurate Doctor Who props!

Has anyone ordered anything yet?

Site is asking me for £35 to ship a sonic blaster in the UK. Is it made of lead? :confused

Has anyone ordered anything yet?

Site is asking me for £35 to ship a sonic blaster in the UK. Is it made of lead? :confused

It comes in a wooden presentation box, complete with metal stand, and would presumably be sent out on a signed-for, insured delivery service.

It comes in a wooden presentation box, complete with metal stand, and would presumably be sent out on a signed-for, insured delivery service.

It cost me £20 to send a 15kg pressure pot with £300 insurance recently. The site says 2nd Class recorded. I can't see how £35 can be correct, but I've emailed Nick about it, hopefully will get some clarification soon.

The shipping thing seems to have been a glitch - just tried ordering again and total came in at under £390.

Pretty stoked, tbh :cool

This is one of my favourite Who props, and it's terrific to see Nick's first major outing with the licence are ninth and tenth Doctor pieces.

Pleaaaase do the Vortex Manipulator, and I can die happy :angel

I just got $12 back for a VAT tax refund for being in the states! Pretty good communication! Can't wait for my plaque!

I really fancy getting either the River or Captain Jack gun (though on the prototype picture of the display stand, it looks like River Song is spelled as one word).

£370 is really pushing it for me. I'm not saying they're not worth that, but it's certainly more than I could afford (especially since I'd likely be picking it up quite often to fight those invisible Daleks that keep invading my living room). Didn't the original have LEDs built in or am I making that up?

If it were around the £250 mark my order would've been placed already, but I'd need to start selling a whole load of stuff before I could lay down nearly £400.

That said, I do hope Nick (great to see you here btw!) gets a Vortex Manipulator out there. Would love to see the Preacher gun too, but wouldn't dare think about how much it would cost!

The hero sonic blasters did have working LEDs.

I'm actually kind of curious about Jack's gun. On the DVD special features, the hero gun is shown with fingergrips, like in the concept art:

9jqftf.jpg

r0ulis.jpg

The one I photographed in Blackpool doesn't have them, like Nick's replica and the River version.

24axuf7.jpg

Screencaps don't show which version was filmed.

Hi. I haven't made them with the lights in as this would knock the price up a hell of a lot. I wanted to make them 'affordable'!

In regards to the finger grips, as with a lot of props we make for the show there are often multiples of the same prop made. Going back years ago when we made Jacks blaster I think we made about three versions, two were hero and one soft version, all came from the same mould. We may have also made some more after for other purposes or 'Pickups', as the original prop may have gone off to be documented by the BBC of gone to an exhibition.The differences are mainly different interpretations by different propmakers or whatever can of spray paint we had that day! As there are so many variants (although these variations are only slight),as with most TV props there is no one definitive version. The Tennant sonic is a classic example of this!

This version below was also made, as you can see its different again from the one shown from the Blackpool exhibition.

View attachment 144399

My versions for sale have had a little bit more care and attention given to the art working than time allows in the kick-bollock-scramble world of day to day prop making on Doctor Who!

Do the replicas have LEDs or are they just purely static?

AFAIK they are static. No mention of electronics on the product page. It would certainly be cool if they had working lights, but it's not a deal-breaker for me, as I'm not a big 'play with it' guy :lol

Hi. I haven't made them with the lights in as this would knock the price up a hell of a lot. I wanted to make them 'affordable'!

In regards to the finger grips, as with a lot of props we make for the show there are often multiples of the same prop made. Going back years ago when we made Jacks blaster I think we made about three versions, two were hero and one soft version, all came from the same mould. We may have also made some more after for other purposes or 'Pickups', as the original prop may have gone off to be documented by the BBC of gone to an exhibition.The differences are mainly different interpretations by different propmakers or whatever can of spray paint we had that day! As there are so many variants (although these variations are only slight),as with most TV props there is no one definitive version. The Tennant sonic is a classic example of this!

This version below was also made, as you can see its different again from the one shown from the Blackpool exhibition.

View attachment 144399

My versions for sale have had a little bit more care and attention given to the art working than time allows in the kick-bollock-scramble world of day to day prop making on Doctor Who!

Great info, thanks :)

As we often find when we get to talk to the guys who actually make the props, is what we think we know and the reality don't quite tie up.

Waiting to hear back for a final cost for the Dalek ray shipped to USA. Should come to around $850ish.

I hope either Qmx looses their license or Rubbertoe makes screwdrivers that are more in price range of normal collectors. I'd spend a good amount on a 11th screwdriver but not 4k.

I hope either Qmx looses their license or Rubbertoe makes screwdrivers that are more in price range of normal collectors. I'd spend a good amount on a 11th screwdriver but not 4k.

This.

I really love what Nick is doing by offering products in even a very low price bracket, just so you can have something made by him if you're really broke, but it would be nice to see official, GOOD sonics in the hundreds, not the thousands, range.
We can't all sonic ATM machines!

Okay, had a chance to snap a few pics and string my thoughts together.

The presentation of this replica is fabulous. The dark wood box is ever-so-slightly grungy and aged looking, which fits perfectly with the straw packing and weathering of the prop itself. It gives the blaster an almost western feel, which goes with Jack's time-travelling mercenary image.

The WH logo on the box is subtly faded enough not to damage the effect too much.

The display stand/plaque is nicely designed and overall maintains the quality with an impressive 1cm thick acrylic base.

Now the gun itself - it's very, very cool indeed. Unsurpisingly, it's beautifully cast and painted, the dark wood-effect grips matching the box.

It has a very nice 'cold' feel in the hand and a decent enough heft for a resin prop.

My only minor quibbles with the prop are entirely personal. The weathering, while well done, is heavier than I would have gone for, but as previously stated, matches the overall presentation.

I also would have preferred the fingergrips/lanyard version, mainly as it differentiates Jack's blaster more clearly from River's.

It's terrific addiction to any Who collection, without a doubt. Obviously I would have preferred a lower price point, as stacked against the similarly priced Weta District 9 guns, also from original moulds, the sonic blaster doesn't come up as such good VFM.

I do get, though, that Nick is running a cottage industry that I'm sure has greater overheads than a big organisation like Weta. I would love to have been able to pick up River's blaster too, I think a repaint of my own Jack squareness gun build will have to suffice.

Overall, a very impressive start to Rubbertoe as a new Who licencee, and huge props (ahem) for getting these great pieces out without pre-order, and all the usual hullabaloo and vaguery we see from other licencees. A couple of weeks between announcement and arrival at my door. Unprecendented! Can't wait to see more from this company :)

72efes.jpg

3cx81.jpg

adybur.jpg

1ibok4.jpg

2z4fl0w.jpg

18j793.jpg

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back