Super Sculpey Firm

Rebo

Super Sculpey Firm, what does it feel like?.

Strange question perhaps, but the reason I ask is that i've not got the lightest of finger and dont want it to spuish up or stick between my fingers.

Whats it like for creating sharp edge detail, mechanical and amour like?.

Comments and tips please guys :thumbsup .

Its not squishy.
Its what alot of the Figure kit sculptors use. You can get nice detail out of it. Start with something small. Also, disregard the baking intructions as they tend to scorch it. Bake it on a lower temp and keep an eye on it as it sometimes will crack. But its fixable. You just mix a little sculpey with denatured alchohol, turns kinda like a paste and you carefully press into crack and use a hair dryer to cure it.
hope that helps some:)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Goldenrod @ Dec 15 2006, 12:40 AM) [snapback]1378087[/snapback]</div>
Its not squishy.
Its what alot of the Figure kit sculptors use. You can get nice detail out of it. Start with something small. Also, disregard the baking intructions as they tend to scorch it. Bake it on a lower temp and keep an eye on it as it sometimes will crack. But its fixable. You just mix a little sculpey with denatured alchohol, turns kinda like a paste and you carefully press into crack and use a hair dryer to cure it.
hope that helps some:)
[/b]

Sorry Goldenrod, I didn't realise that I got a response to this thread.
Thanks for the info, ive just ordered 2lb of the stuff.

Necro-post...didn't want to start a new thread...

I'm thinking of buying the sculpey firm, but I'm curious as to whether it can be conditioned to be at all malleable, or it it pretty much just for carving. I mean, if I want to add little balls and dollops here and there, would it be some gargantuan obstacle? I've tried super sculpey before, and I find that I get frustrated because touching one part smooshes another. So, until I develop a lighter hand, I thought the firm might be preferable.

New Year's Resolution: LEARN TO SCULPT!

Firm is similar to regular sculpey. You knead it to make it softer, but when you let it sit for a while it becomes hard and easier to handle without squishing. Neither the regular nor the firm is something where you carve away excess, if you want that then you need something else.

The firm is just a little harder to work with until you knead it soft... then it's pretty easy

It isn't for carving, it is basically like firm(er) Super Sculpey. It is a polymer clay, just like the other Sculpey products, just with a firmer body. I suppose you could carve it if you really wanted to, but that isn't what it is designed for. Just work it and it becomes malleable easy enough... I use a pasta roller to work the fresh stuff to get it to a more malleable/sculpable consistency.

And you'll have less "smooshing" problems with SS Firm. All sculpey products get softer through both working them and the heat from your hands. Some people keep a tub of ice water nearby for when the piece gets too soft. I just put a small fan on it and walk away for ten minutes or so.

I think you'll like SS Firm. I use it almost exclusively. I'll also mix SS firm and standard Super Sculpy together 50/50 for some work as well.

Sounds like that's EXACTLY the type of product I'm looking for. Now to find a good price...

Thanks a million for the input guys!

I've bought from kitkraft, they seemed to have a good price and good shipping options.

With my next batch I will get enough to use the Sculpey firm as the armature build-up material and then save the regular sculpey for surface detailing. Though... perhaps I recall incorrectly... maybe the firm is the most expensive one!?

TMC You are correct. The Firm is more expensive than the regular but the grey has one feature that the regular lacks. It is opaque. You can't easily see finger prints in the regular SS because it translucent. But you can mix the two to soften up the grey, or mix some Sculpy dilutant into the Firm to achive the same thing.

Also, if you have a Hobby Lobby near by, they run a 40% off coupon every other week, which brings the Firm price down to the level of buying in bulk over the internet.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back