Painting Wood Effects/Drybrushing Metal Effects

Geohazard

Does anyone have any resources/know of any tutorials for painting wood effects or dry-brushing on metal-wear effects onto a flat black surface?

I do not have access to an airbrush.

Flat black is rather simple to make into worn metal as the surface catches color and wear quickly. The best way is to use atomized metal powders and just dry brush it on then wipe down with a clean cotton rag, repeat until its pleasing to your eye.

You can do the same with metallic paints but it does come down to what the base material is (rubber, plastic, wood...) as one paint rubbed over the top of another will reactivate the paint below it. There is a learning curve but its a simple one.

For wood there are various ways but again it comes down to the surface your working with. The cheap way is to use some off white latex paint mixed with elmers wood glue (or medical adhesive "Pros-Aide" for longevity) lightly applied over the surface with a chip brush, leaving some darker base areas showing through for the dark wood grain color, and rattle can Mohawk brand spray wood toners.

Examples of ones I did years ago on rubber items:

2nkqwxi.jpg

2bsm86.jpg

14tqxhl.jpg

I'll be starting with the plastic surface of an airsoft Mauser and running a coat of grey primer and the flat black over the top of that. I'm thinking that the cheapest way to do this is to drybrush testors silver over the black, but I'd like it to look as good as possible.

How do you get the atomized metal to stick? What metal powder is best for that silver worn metal look?

hellboy_samaritan_wip_025.jpg

This the grip I made for my sons Samaritan. I painted the grip with the the Sci-Fire method link.

I had to alter the paint used, that Mohawk spray stain must be made with unobtainium because I couldn't find that stuff local anywhere. So I dropped back, and used brown acrylic's I had and thinned it super thin and spayed it through my airbrush then clear coated it.

If you don't want to order the Mohawk stuff you might be able do it with thinned paint and a atomizing spray bottle like this maybe.. try on a scrap piece first.

seeing as you are doing a single plastic airsoft gun the cost of the metal powders wouldnt be justified. Stick with the metal colored paint method.

seeing as you are doing a single plastic airsoft gun the cost of the metal powders wouldnt be justified. Stick with the metal colored paint method.

That's what I decided to go with. I'm having to stock up on raw materials, and that is already driving the cost of this project higher than my budget. I got some unbleached titanium white acrylic and some elmer's wood glue, and I'm going to brush that on and then spray with some krylon wood tone. As far as the metal effects, yeah. I picked up a bottle of flat steel testors to drybrush with.

Wood graining a handle try gel stain over a lighter base color of paint, using a wood graining tool. Both can be found at paint stores, or hardware stores.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

I've done wood graining with Design Master wood tone sprays.
I got mine at Michael's Arts and Crafts, so they should be pretty widely available.

I went with an acrylic natural titanium white and elmer's wood glue. Created a gloppy mess the consistency of wet bread dough. It was difficult to get right, and still didn't get enough of a grain effect for my taste, but the Design Master Walnut toner worked well over the top of it. Everyone who sees it asks me if I used real wood for the grips, so I guess it turned out real well!

Check out my Blaster thread for pictures!

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back