My experience with StyroSpray 1000 (Review?)

Raikoh

First off, I want to say I'll be posting pictures of my prop when I get home tonight; I made a keyblade from Kingdom Harts: Birth Birth By Sleep out of extruded polystyrene foam.
So yeah, Styrospray 1000. An awesome product originally made to coat polystyrene objects. After talking to Industrial Polymer (and experimenting with it myself...), it turns out it can coat just about anything porous with great success, such as wood.

Styrospray is a 2 part (1:1) plastic material, where one part is a thick material, and the other is thin. After application, even with 3 thin layers, you have a suprisingly strong and very light plastic shell over whatever you coated, with pretty much no shrinkage or anything.

Even though it's called Styrospray, it can definitely be brushed on, as they show in their tutorial videos. And unlike some reviews say, it doesn't leave brush strokes as long as you do it right; you need to make sure the thicker part of the material (part B) is warm, about 75 degrees F, this will make it very smooth, and much thinner. Then you want to make sure you are doing very thin coats. Gravity can cause it to drip/run/pool in areas if it's too thick and even slightly uneven. That being said, as long as you wait for at least 3-ish hours after application (and it's at least 70 degrees F), you can sand the surface. i did that to get the big imperfections out, and then used filer primer to sand out the surface to a beautiful smooth look. Somebody else on some forums ( I don't remember if it's the rpf or not...) said it cannot be sanded, and that is downright not true.

I also tested the durability of it. On a piece of 3/4 inch pink foam, I coated one side with 4 healthy layers. Snapping against the coating was nearly impossible. I put my knee on the opposite side of the styro spray, and pulled the sides with all my might, and couldn't get it to snap. Now, the styrospray itself is slightly flexible, so when I try it the other way, it snapped with a decent amount of force, flexing at the styrospray. I wasn't able to get the Styrospray itself to snap, only flex and eventually tear. With both sides of the foam coated with that much, I can only imagine the amount of strength it has against snapping, and with the slight flexibility, it's not easy to chip either.

It doesn't take sharp objects as well though. A blade can cut the a corner or edge fairly easily, and if you were to drop a knife on it from about 3 Ft, it will embed about 5mm.

Hitting it with Blunt objects yielded an interesting result. I hit it with a rubber mallet, and it initially left a decent impression, because the foam itself was pressed in. However, after about 20 minutes, the Styrospray flexed back out to a much more smooth surface (but you could still see the area if you looked for it).

Now this was my biggest concern with styrospray I had was the detail it holds. It is made to lay out smooth when it cures, and therefore does round out any small sharp edges or details you have. What I did for my edges what I just sanded them down to be sharp again. No big deal there, but if you had inlayed detail or something, you might have a hard time.

All in all, this is an incredible product, especially if you want to make a durable, light prop, like large weapons and whatnot. I highly recommend picking up a small amount and playing around with with, I think you'd be impressed.

If you have any questions about it, please ask. I want it to get out there, I'd love to see what people do with this stuff. And remember, I'll be posting pictures a little later.

Last edited:
So after the 3 layers of styrospray, this is what it ended up looking like. I made the mistake of having my heat lamp too close, and it cause bubbles. Now we know, if you leave a heat lamp to close, it bubbles! Probably just too much heat in general will do that. Luckily, I was able to sand out the bubbles very easily, so that wasn't too much of a problem.
f8809cad-151f-4455-a294-fb5dcfc106ec_zps26e70308.jpg

102_0087_zps967c5be1.jpg

102_0086_zpsa2cfeb8f.jpg

102_0085_zps9ee4eccf.jpg

These pics are after my first layer of primer filler. You can see how it dried. Sort of uneven. To the touch, and even the naked eye, it's not nearly as bad as it looked here. Nonetheless, it needed some filler to get a better surface. This would have been much btter had it been sprayed.
102_0101_zps8744ff63.jpg
102_0102_zps3974b905.jpg

I love styrospray. Its durability and weight is great. I think the hardest part is being patient on layering since run off can pool into details. I'm looking forward to trying it with their hopper gun once ai get a compressor.

This is a great bit of very usefull info, I'd not heard about this stuff untill reading this thread.
Thanks for sharing :)
(y)thumbsup(y)thumbsup

Yeah, this stuff is pretty much amazing. Hopefully more people will notice this thread and give it a read. I typically have terrible luck with thread popularity in forums though...so we'll see...

thanks for the info....I have 3 foam projects I'm working on right now and I need something to harden them ( in the past I've used elmers glue and fiberglass cloth to make a hard outer shell )

Think this would work on a foam costume build?

I think this would work beautifully for EVA foam armor builds. I actually really want to try it in the future. I planned on using Sintra and Styrene to make some armor I have in mind, but I will definitely experiment with Styrospray/EVA foam too.

How would this compare to smooth-on 65d? As in drying time, strength, and weight?

I have no idea how it compares to smooth-on 65D, being brushed on. I know Smooth-cast 65D is primarily made for high-impact applications, and is designed to be durable; whereas Styrospray just happens to be tough, but isn't made for it... Also, Smoothcast 65D is typically used to make casts, where Styrospray is designed to coat/cover objects. It is designed to set with a smooth surface, I don't know if 65D will do that.
Also, as far as I know, most resins will be heavier that Styrospray. Styrospay has a pretty low density, and is designed to be light. How much lighter than 65D? I don't know.

Sounds like the styrospray stuff takes a while to dry and you have to work in layers where as 65d resin cures fairly quickly.

Interesting material!

It dries enough for another layer after about an hour and thirty minutes, depending on the temp. Also, with my exerience with using resin to coat foam or wood, the material itself absorbs a lot more of the resin. Styrospray soaks in a little just to "grab" onto it, and it builds a decent amount of body over the surface. I've used both, and I gotta say this is much easier to use as a simple material to coat a project for a hard surface. Sure, it might take a bit longer to do the layers (over the corse of an entire day, off-and-on), but I never have a problem with that because I always have something else I can work on while it's curing. What's the hurry?

Another thing, it can be used indoors. It does smell a lot like paint, but as long as you aren't completely boxing youself in (open a window), you should be alright. Unless you're spraying it, but that's a whole other ballgame....

We also don't want to forget that most resins melt extruded polystyrene foam....

Really interested in this product but can't seem to find any stockists in the UK:facepalm

As far as I can tell, you can only order from them by calling them. And while you're on the phone with them, you can ask to talk to David; he's the guy in all their tutorial videos. He is a huge wealth of knowledge.

it's look like the smooth on product Epsilon
EPSILON® EPS Foam Coating Epoxy

It really does, doesn't it? From smooth-ons description, it sure sounds like it. The only difference I can find other than description is the price is a bit more. Maybe one of these days I can pick some up and see how it behaves compared to Styrospray.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey! Sorry for breathing life into a dead post, but did you guys ever find a UK distributor for Styrospray? It seems a like it might cost a bomb to get a sample sized amount delivered to the UK. :behave

Sorry to necro my own post, I haven't been on in forever, I'd like to answer IronOneiro's question.

Styrospray can only be purchased from Industrial Polymer (the manufacturer) themselves. And the only way to do so is calling them. It's quick and painless to order it from them through phone; but it is annoying cause you have to do it during their ours...unlike the internet.

File Jul 15, 2 44 24 PM.jpegFile Jul 15, 2 44 51 PM.jpegFile Jul 15, 2 45 13 PM.jpeg

This is a choo choo train 14ft long i am making for daycare sign exterior, windows lit by led to give train night time look. My question as i am new to styro 1000 is putting details be for coating useless. Should i put 4 coats and then detail before airbrush. Just want enough relief details to give a good look. Wheels , monkeys ,engine need more finishing. Please feel free to give advise. Need a slick finish so colors will be bright enough. My understanding is sand before each coat. After airbrush does clear coat adhere good.

Attachments

• File Jul 15, 2 44 04 PM.jpeg
    File Jul 15, 2 44 04 PM.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 453
Any idea what company suggests for dry time before applying finish? Cant find anything and I feel I saw something at one point that said 1 week!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back