Trigun: Functional Vash Revolver WIP

So what is the status on this project?
Really impressed and I'm feeling very inspired to start doing something similar.
I never did understood how the ejector would work though. Anyone mind explaining?

Thanks

All I can say is WOW! I had actually started working on my own gun about 14 months ago but had to stop due to lack of any really good references.

Were you able to get the auto ejector working? You should have plenty of space to put a solenoid and battery inside that body. especially since its 3d printed.

When I started my build I also worked off the dimensions of a .45 casing but ran into the blockade of trying to get everything to work together proportion wise. I also would ask if it would be possible to have access to some of those solidworks files, as your work on the dimensions and trigger/hammer mechanism is spot on, mine was much more crude and wouldn't turn the cylinder and as you stated,having an accurate set of blueprints is a crucial part in having a well made prop!

WOW, I've neglected this project for WAY too long.
I'm actually in the process of reshaping the back frame and grip, since I've learned a ton of new modeling tricks, so the goal is for version 2 to be finished sometime in December.
I've done some electronics research, and I'm going to try using a solenoid for the ejector (which would make it an Electrically Fired Auto-Ejector, so that makes sense).
I'll be trying the one that SparkFun sells, and if that one doesn't have a long enough throw, I'll have to resort to mass-ordering from China.

As it is, though, kits of some form will DEFINITELY happen within the next few months. It's been a long wait, but I promise it'll be worth it!

The practicality of the auto-ejection system has always bugged me, most likely it would just send shell casings into your face. In the show, the barrel swings down in a very quick motion but I can tell you from experience that is not the case with the prop. The hinge would need to have virtually zero friction (maybe some kind of ball bearing system) and the front would have to be very heavy to replicate that kind of motion, certainly not impossible but definitely not easy.

That quick motion is what makes the auto-ejector work, because it happens so quickly that the cylinder is vertical by the time the ejector fires, sending the casings straight up instead of backwards.

At the risk of sounding stupid... What exactly would a "kit" contain? I would absolutely LOVE to have this gun, but I am clueless as to what a kit entails.
(So sorry if this is a dumb question)

At the risk of sounding stupid... What exactly would a "kit" contain? I would absolutely LOVE to have this gun, but I am clueless as to what a kit entails.
(So sorry if this is a dumb question)

A kit would be a set of raw casts and hardware that would require a little finish work (sanding, trimming, painting, etc.) before assembly. I try to make my kits with as little required cleanup as possible.

A kit would be a set of raw casts and hardware that would require a little finish work (sanding, trimming, painting, etc.) before assembly. I try to make my kits with as little required cleanup as possible.

Ah, okay.
As someone who hasn't attempted building a prop (yet) would this be too much to handle? I would hate to ruin such an amazing piece with my non-existent skills...

For the ejector, just put a micro switch right in the pivot point. have the switch be pressed when the angle is where you like it and that will fire your solenoid! MrGreene,the solenoid may provide adequate weight to give the downward swing of the barrel sufficient realism, and since you don't have to have an actual barrel you could place the solenoid directly in line with the cylinder.

Last edited:
Re: Trigun: A Proper Vash Revolver WIP

As you can see,you could shorten this leaver to about 1/4-1/8 inch and place your switch slightly offset from dead center above the pivot point. thus, as the barrel swings down, when it reaches the point you have set for it to go off at it will hit that button and stop moving. While at the same time firing your solenoid.

I cannot explain just how grateful i am that someone is putting this much work into making this. I would absolutely be one of the first to order a kit of this detail should you still make one available if it's not crazy expensive. It seems there hasn't been an update in several months but considering how much work has already gone into the project i'm sure you're still tinkering with it somewhere. This is really amazing work so far. Can't wait to see it completed. I wish I had anywhere near the skills to do something like this.

No problem, you've just gotta tweak as you go along. Sometimes things don't look right until you get it all together. My illustration is a bit oversized in a couple areas, but you get the idea. What i'm aiming for is a mix between the grip you already made and the Poseidon version. The Poseidon one is a bit too curvy and always felt a little weird in my hand, somewhere in-between is just right I think.

There have been many attempts made to replicate this gun, and none of them have ever gotten it all right, imo. So I appretiate that you are taking input on this project and trying to make it as accurate as possible, I continue to follow this thread with considerable interest.

Here's a nice all-metal build of the movie gun to keep you motivated!

View attachment 308565
Is there actually going to be a movie? If so, it's about time.

MrGreene You've already done a ton of work on this so i can't see you adjusting anything major at this point. But I'm curious if you or anyone else has suggestion gaining some inspiration from a Mateba revolver. It's similar in style and function to vash's revolver (the airsoft version looks similar too).

Airsoft version:
BtvkEY1.jpg

Real version:
zuR6COM.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Those are 2 different models of Mateba's. The top is a replica of 2006M, the bottom photo is a Unica 6. There was indeed a real steel version that looks like the top picture.

The only thing they have in common with Vash's gun is that they fires from the bottom of the cylinder. Otherwise, Vash's gun is a break top.

Those are 2 different models of Mateba's. The top is a replica of 2006M, the bottom photo is a Unica 6. There was indeed a real steel version that looks like the top picture.

The only thing they have in common with Vash's gun is that they fires from the bottom of the cylinder. Otherwise, Vash's gun is a break top.
Thanks for the clarification. I read a bit about the different models but was a little confused about that.

As far as relation to Vash's gun, I was just thinking some inspiration could be taken from various real world guns as far as mechanisms. For instance I was just checking out a Webley Mk. 6 that's a break top revolver where the ejection rod gets pushed up when the front half of the rifle rotates past a specific point. It wouldn't be hard to go from pushing to ejecting using a similar mechanism. But like I said earlier, he's already done so much work on this that he probably has his own ideas. I just thought stuff like this was more practical than an electrical solution like someone else suggested.

You can see at the pivot here, the external mechanism. I was thinking do something like that, but instead of a slow push, just have it trip a spring loaded ejection rod at a specific point in the turn and obviously put it on the inside of the pivot.

Screen Shot 2015-04-22 at 7.40.59 AM.png

I sure hope you are still working on this gun. so far this is amazing. thank you for all the updates! You are so close to finishing!

BTW look at XTC-3d for smoothing out your prints. Works really well and its a fairly new product from Smooth-on.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back