Trigun: Functional Vash Revolver WIP

You're a hero on a noble quest! I too will spare no expense to be fortunate enough to get one of these off of you once you've got em' goin'. Keep me posted, will diligently visit to see the progress.

So refreshing to see one of these that isn't a poorly made solid cast. Would definitely be interested if these go on sale. Keep up the good work!

Wow! I'm glad there's so much interest for kits!

I just got my aluminum powder, and while I'm waiting for more silicone to arrive (I just about ran out), I decided to do the rest of the prep work for casting the large parts and test out different cold-casting techniques.

I've also just about finished the grip masters, which I originally modeled, but since I haven't quite gotten the hang of organic modeling with solidworks, it was easier to just cut the ergonomic finger grooves the old-fashioned way. They came out pretty well:

IMAG1013.jpg

There's still a little fiddling to do for attaching the butt cap, but overall it's a great fit that's true to the concept art and the detail shots. It feels pretty comfortable, too:

IMAG1012.jpg

The aluminum makes the cast pieces much heftier, and I could swear they're more solid, too. If that's the case, I may be able to cast the break lock as well, which would save a ton of time.

I'll have a mostly-functional prototype to show off by the 17th, and after I get back from a local con that weekend, I'll open up a project run.
I may also offer raw 3D prints of the parts for less so I can fund my next project, which I can promise will be equally as awesome ;)

Wow, that's looking really good! You know, some of us had to pay for school to learn what you just taught yourself in the last few months. Congratulations on saving a ton of money and acquiring new skills!

The only way this thing could be better is if it was made of metal and could fire real bullets reliably. And if you say you're having one made I might literally die of jealousy.

Mold boxin'!
IMAG1015.jpg
In order to minimize cleanup and seam lines, I'm using a four-part double-plugged silicone mold. Due to the awkward shape of all the negative space, this is the most awkward and complicated mold I've ever made. Fingers crossed :)

While the silicone sets up, I'm working on the pre-July/Knives version butt cap (the one with the angry-looking lanyard loop). I figure I'll just make one master, then carve down a cast to mold the Vash-style cap. It's still got some cleaning up to do, but it locks into place nicely at the bottom of the grip.
IMAG1018.jpgIMAG1019.jpgIMAG1022.jpg

Hopefully I'll get around to demolding the first barrel cast this weekend.
Also, I promise to start taking non-potato-quality pics :)

Hey there, looking pretty good. I'd just like to comment that I think the grips look a bit plain. If you look at the concept from the artbook, or some of the more detailed closeups from the show, you'll notice the grip is pretty stylized. Specifically the angle in relation to the frame, it's part of what gives the gun its unique look, imo.

I've made a quick drawing to illustrate what I mean, hope it helps.

colt.grip.comp.png

Thought I'd already drooled my interest in this thread but can't see it so i'll drool all over again lol damn fine work there!!!

I am interested in the possible kit you will be offering. I have an event at the end of May I would love to have/create this gun for!

Your work is fantastic and I love all the details you have put into creating it. Keep up the awesome work!

Hey there, looking pretty good. I'd just like to comment that I think the grips look a bit plain. If you look at the concept from the artbook, or some of the more detailed closeups from the show, you'll notice the grip is pretty stylized. Specifically the angle in relation to the frame, it's part of what gives the gun its unique look, imo.

View attachment 307030
I agree with Grey. The gun looks great so far and the details are looking really smooth, but the handle could be better. I've owned 3 different versions of the revolver (2 only, now) and each one had a grip similar to Grey's illustration/artwork of the gun. That being said, the rest of the revolver is looking better than the versions I own so I can only imagine how much better it will look and be once you've added all the details and finished this project.

I'm really interested though, so even if you don't change the handle count me in lol
I don't know if I'll be doing more videos, but I'd really love to have a functional revolver to go with my cosplay.

Last edited by a moderator:

View attachment 307030

I looked back over my original plans, and I know there was some specific reason I opted not to use that image from the concept art, but for the life of me I have no idea what it was, and I have to admit, after seeing it overlayed like that, the proportions do look WAY better. I've figured out some new modeling tricks, so it shouldn't be too difficult to change things around, especially since it makes things look so much better.

Hopefully I'll have enough time to get it finished before my April 17th deadline.

I agree with Grey. The gun looks great so far and the details are looking really smooth, but the handle could be better. I've owned 3 different versions of the revolver (2 only, now) and each one had a grip similar to Grey's illustration/artwork of the gun. That being said, the rest of the revolver is looking better than the versions I own so I can only imagine how much better it will look and be once you've added all the details and finished this project.

I'm really interested though, so even if you don't change the handle count me in lol
I don't know if I'll be doing more videos, but I'd really love to have a functional revolver to go with my cosplay.
TRIGUN Teaser #1 - YouTube

I really like your wig. It gives me reassurance that mine should turn out pretty awesome as well.

Also, did you.. get Johnny to do a VO for you?:confused Because that would deserve mad props.
I'm planning on doing a nice photoshoot when the rest of my outfit is finished, but it's so hard to find sandy western towns in the TN/Georgia area :(

No problem, you've just gotta tweak as you go along. Sometimes things don't look right until you get it all together. My illustration is a bit oversized in a couple areas, but you get the idea. What i'm aiming for is a mix between the grip you already made and the Poseidon version. The Poseidon one is a bit too curvy and always felt a little weird in my hand, somewhere in-between is just right I think.

There have been many attempts made to replicate this gun, and none of them have ever gotten it all right, imo. So I appretiate that you are taking input on this project and trying to make it as accurate as possible, I continue to follow this thread with considerable interest.

Here's a nice all-metal build of the movie gun to keep you motivated!

WF2013W04.jpg

I really like your wig. It gives me reassurance that mine should turn out pretty awesome as well.

Also, did you.. get Johnny to do a VO for you?:confused Because that would deserve mad props.
I'm planning on doing a nice photoshoot when the rest of my outfit is finished, but it's so hard to find sandy western towns in the TN/Georgia area :(
Thanks, I'm sure it'll look great and if it doesn't, you can always make it look better by touching it up lol

I used audio from the series which is probably bad, but it makes the video way better lol Johnny does come to a local con very often though, so I'm gonna try my luck to see if he'd voice over a short script so I can make a video I've been wanting to do that takes place right after the animated series ends or at least an opening for the webisode.

For the video we were in luck. We didn't plan to make the video specifically for Trigun at all lol We went to take photos because we were at a nearby con and it turned out that it was gold rush days, so they covered the streets of old Sacramento in sand to make it look more western like. The only problem was that a lot of people didn't want to move out of the shot. Oh well, it was really fun for something unplanned haha

MrGreene, This looks stunning, especially with all the proper internals!! Did you meet your deadline? If you do a run of these as kits please, please, let us know! I will buy this!!!

MrGreene, I am a CNC Machinest & very interested in what your doing! You have mentioned that you vectored out your drawings. How accurate are they & if you could export them to a .DXF file, could we some day combine our skills? You have done ALOT of work on this & it looks great! I have been wanting to make one out of metal for a very long time, I just haven't had the time to demention it like you have. Please email me if you would like to talk more about this!

ottofragger@gmail.com

Thank you very much!

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back